How much do you pay to get a thai residence certificate ?

Just to get my two cents in, I had to pay 1000 baht at Nonthaburi Immigration when I needed a residence certificate to get my driving licence. As another poster wrote, it was the lesser of two evils because it was done on the spot.

Last time I got one from Khon Kaen police station it cost me nil zero nothing. However I gave the nice policeman upstairs who did it for me with a smile 200bht (awaiting the normal response for giving tips. )

He actually asked for some tea money. I gave him 200bht too

Sent from my SM-A800F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I have a car and 2 scooters and needed the certificate each time  to put them in my name.

So far Ive paid , 300 , nothing and 1000 for it.

The 'nothing' was when there was a big outcry and the boss of Phuket immigration came out and said it should be free and policed that.

1000 was after he was transferred.

I believe its 500 at Patong and perhaps free at Phuket Town at present.

Suggesting another branch to the OP is good advice.

The only short coming with a far off 'branch' I have found , is when I need a letter to extend my Retirement Visa , and the letter from the Bank about having deposited 800,000 baht has to be acquired from that Branch only.

Heaven help anyone who banks with K-Bank  and  transfers across the country  without closing their bank account before moving.

My K-Bank refuses to close any account without me physically present at the accounts Branch to do so.

20 hours ago, JackThompson said:

It varies by office.  This is probably a "no receipt" transaction.  There are 2 ways to look at this:

1. These are "supposed to be free" (but when this has been pushed, some offices simply stopped issuing them)
  2. Wow - that is so much cheaper than getting one from my embassy - a great deal.

I'd opt for the #2 approach, out of practicality. 

But for Bank Account purposes - if you shop around, you may find a branch of a bank which does not require this.  One branch of Bangkok Bank close to me requires it, even though I already have an account.  Yet the branch where I opened the original account did not require it, and still does not.

Off topic 

How do you go about getting one from your Embassy - what are the requirements? 

1 hour ago, Siambrit said:

The local amphur can issue a residency certificate. It costs 20 baht in Phetchabun. The documents required are proof of address and passport.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Not quite. 

I got my passport by using a letter from the bank as proof of address. My Bank account I opened with nothing but my passport and a multi-entry non O visa some 6 years ago - no other document was required. 

Get a yellow book house book and stop being regularly ripped off.Long term its worth it.

A residence letter takes them about 3 minutues to do.Standard template on computer,they  Insert date ,name, address, print off.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Wallander4 said:

Worst Immigration in Thailand ( Chiang Mai ) want 500B also even tho sign state its for free ...

Go to another Bangkok Bank branch - I only had to show passport to open account there

Probably the worst immigration office in the entire world!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

6 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

Apparently you two and others have not dealt with other Thai immigration offices This is SOP through out Thailand.

Edited by khwaibah

Never cost me anything......... see the local 'headman' go with him to the Town Hall [been on there computer 14 years]  takes all of 5 mins to change the date and print, me sign + headman signs, then see Junta for the government Seal

17 minutes ago, khwaibah said:

Apparently you two and others have not dealt with other Thai immigration offices This is SOP through out Thailand.

That is what is called a "blanket statement". There may be "hell-hole" offices, particularly where there are large numbers of expats, but my experiences at Pathum Thani, Phitsanulok and latterly, Phichit, have found the staff to be pleasant and helpful. Much, in this country, depends on one's attitude when dealing with officialdom.

• Like 2

That is what is called a "blanket statement". There may be "hell-hole" offices, particularly where there are large numbers of expats, but my experiences at Pathum Thani, Phitsanulok and latterly, Phichit, have found the staff to be pleasant and helpful. Much, in this country, depends on one's attitude when dealing with officialdom.

Likewise at Pathum Thani for me too.
500 baht for a residence certificate ( for DL ) but they did take my money with a smile [emoji51]
  • Like 1

want a bank account?

just show about 50000 bht cash and open a savings acount

BB bank does it ,after that just apply for internetbanking

may be they tell u u need proof of visa and residence statement to bring in afterwards

but they never follow up on that

What documentation do immigration need to see in order to get the certificate for opening the bank account? 

I travel in and out of the country every month sometimes on visa exempt at the moment I have METV. When I'm here I stay with girlfriend and our baby but the rental contract for house is in her name.

Bangkok Bank here in Samui say go and get letter from immigration its no problem. I'm not so sure.