Non-imm-o Retiremnt Visa - Rules?

I posted last week seeking better understanding of marriage to a Thai woman who supports me and the Non-Imm-O visa and bank account issues. Continuing to explore my options ...

As I understand, to get a Non-Imm-O retirement Visa, you need to be "near" 50, and have baht 800,000 in the bank, and have a medical letter stating your health. In addition, I will be married to a Thai woman (I am usa citizen, 46 years-old). My question is if and when (what age?) I qualify for retirement status as a Non-Imm-O visa-holder, when I am living in Thailand, and go for the next yearly renewal, will I be allowed to change to non-retirement status??

My thought process here is that I move there and put the 400,000 in the joint bank account, but have no job, my wife suppports me with her management job; when I reach 50, I change the status to retirement and increase to an 800,000 bank balance; but a year later I find some good work. What will they say if I leave retirement? Obviously, it benefits me because my bank balance requirement drops to 400,000; but Thai government should be happy that they can tax more income.

Thanks in advance for your input.

ragtime3

I posted last week seeking better understanding of marriage to a Thai woman who supports me and the Non-Imm-O visa and bank account issues. Continuing to explore my options ...

As I understand, to get a Non-Imm-O retirement Visa, you need to be "near" 50, and have baht 800,000 in the bank, and have a medical letter stating your health. In addition, I will be married to a Thai woman (I am usa citizen, 46 years-old). My question is if and when (what age?) I qualify for retirement status as a Non-Imm-O visa-holder, when I am living in Thailand, and go for the next yearly renewal, will I be allowed to change to non-retirement status??

My thought process here is that I move there and put the 400,000 in the joint bank account, but have no job, my wife suppports me with her management job; when I reach 50, I change the status to retirement and increase to an 800,000 bank balance; but a year later I find some good work. What will they say if I leave retirement? Obviously, it benefits me because my bank balance requirement drops to 400,000; but Thai government should be happy that they can tax more income.

Thanks in advance for your input.

ragtime3

With that 400,000 baht in a bank in Thailand you are eligible to apply for a support visa. That Non-Immigrant O visa enables you to apply for a work permit because you are married to a Thai.

Dr. Pat Pong wrote:

"With that 400,000 baht in a bank in Thailand you are eligible to apply for a support visa. That Non-Immigrant O visa enables you to apply for a work permit because you are married to a Thai. "

Sorry, maybe my question is not clear. Once I declare retirement on my annual Non-Imm-O visa and increase my bank balance to 800,000, what happens if the following year I want to work (with a work permit) and change my Non-Imm-O status back to "not-retired" ?? Is it easy/permissable to switch the Non-Imm-O Visa back and forth between retired and not-retired ??

Thanks.

ragtime3

As I stated in my other post "Marriage to a Thai Woman who Supports me", I will be married to her by next year. I am just trying to plan the possibilities in my future;and understand the Thai way.

Your advice that the Thai consider "Retired is retired. If you swing between working and being retired you'll annoy 'em." is just what I needed to know. Here in the us, my Dad works some years and does not work other years, but of course it is more lenient(?) here. Now I understand that because a visa is involved, the Thai officials expect you to choose one status and stay with it.

Thank you very much. Sorry for any confusion.

ragtime3

As I stated in my other post "Marriage to a Thai Woman who Supports me", I will be married to her by next year. I am just trying to plan the possibilities in my future;and understand the Thai way.

Your advice that the Thai consider "Retired is retired. If you swing between working and being retired you'll annoy 'em." is just what I needed to know. Here in the us, my Dad works some years and does not work other years, but of course it is more lenient(?) here. Now I understand that because a visa is involved, the Thai officials expect you to choose one status and stay with it.

Thank you very much. Sorry for any confusion.

ragtime3

When you are married to a Thai you can get a work permit on that O class visa as long as you comply with the banking requirements.

If you are in-country on an entry permit based on a Class O retirement visa (Class O-A), you cannot use this as a basis for a worek permit.

But - if you travel outside Thailand and apply for a Class O (spouse support) or Class B (employment) visa, obtaining one of these visas effectively cancels your retirement status - and you may then return to Thailand and apply fora work permit. Remember - your new entry permit will only be for 90 days - and extending it in your new entry calssification will mean meeting specified requirements.

Good luck!

Indo-Siam