Tourist visa to long term visa

Hi to all. 

I am sure most of my questions have been answered elsewhere. But I need to encapsulate this as time is against me now. 

It looks as as if I have to enter Bangkok on a tourist visa. I am aware that this could be extended. 

I will be coming to BKK around the 10th May. As such I have limited time to apply for any other type of visa. 

But I did read somewhere that it is possible to convert this into a retirement visa without leaving the country ??

Is this possible ??

Or simply how can I come on a tourist visa and then convert to a long term visa. 

As as soon as I am in BKK I will try to

open a Bank Account and transfer over enough funds to qualify for then 800,000B for the retirement visa. 

Long term there here is a possibility of marriage so that is also a route to look at when having to renew the following year. 

So now with time limited any pointers and help  will be really appreciated. 

Thanks

Andrew

You can change from  tourist visa entry to a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry based upon qualifying for an extension of stay based upon retirement at some immigration offices. You will need the 800k baht in a Thai bank on the date your apply. You can do the application for the visa up to the last 15 days of the 60 day entry from your tourist visa or the 30 day extension of it.

Then during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the visa you can apply for a one year extension of stay (it is not visa) based upon retirement. The 800k baht will need to be in the bank for 60 days on the date your apply.

Note that if you can visit a Thai Consulate, and can show you have 800K Baht worth (any currency) in a bank anywhere, you can get a single-entry, 90-day, Non-O visa based on retirement, and this would save you some trouble converting visa-types when you get here.  This could also be done by mail, but your time is getting short. 

Note that the single-entry 90-day Non-O visa is not the same as the "O-A" visa, which requires more paperwork. 

If this is not feasible, what ubonjoe has outlined is the way to go.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

You can change from  tourist visa entry to a 90 day non immigrant visa (category O) entry based upon qualifying for an extension of stay based upon retirement at some immigration offices. You will need the 800k baht in a Thai bank on the date your apply. You can do the application for the visa up to the last 15 days of the 60 day entry from your tourist visa or the 30 day extension of it.

Then during the last 30 days of the 90 day entry from the visa you can apply for a one year extension of stay (it is not visa) based upon retirement. The 800k baht will need to be in the bank for 60 days on the date your apply.

Thank you I think with the time I have this will end up being the best route to take 

18 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Note that if you can visit a Thai Consulate, and can show you have 800K Baht worth (any currency) in a bank anywhere, you can get a single-entry, 90-day, Non-O visa based on retirement, and this would save you some trouble converting visa-types when you get here.  This could also be done by mail, but your time is getting short. 

Note that the single-entry 90-day Non-O visa is not the same as the "O-A" visa, which requires more paperwork. 

If this is not feasible, what ubonjoe has outlined is the way to go.

Thanks very much. 

12 hours ago, JackThompson said:

Getting a single entry non-o visa for being 50 or over is not as easy to get as you imply. Unless there is a honorary Thai consulate in a person's home  country there is a good chance they will not be able to get one since embassies and official consulates will not issue them and will only do the OA visa.

Even some honorary consulates cannot do them because of directives from  the embassy in the country they are located. This is true in Australia and in the UK they are issued to those 65 or over with a state pension.

41 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Getting a single entry non-o visa for being 50 or over is not as easy to get as you imply. Unless there is a honorary Thai consulate in a person's home  country there is a good chance they will not be able to get one since embassies and official consulates will not issue them and will only do the OA visa.

Even some honorary consulates cannot do them because of directives from  the embassy in the country they are located. The is true in Australia and in the UK they are issued to those 65 or over with a state pension.

Good info to know on those locations - I recall reading that the UK had this special rule (any speculation why?). 

I also knew about no multi-entries from honorary consulates, anymore, but hadn't heard that this single-entry visa was also restricted. 

I suggested the Non-O prior to coming here, because of the posts regarding immigration offices who will not, can not, or are very difficult about doing the conversion and the 2 separate trips a person must do in Bangkok, and the more strict paperwork / money-origin requirements in Bangkok, vs consulates abroad. 

Recently, some have posted that Lao (or at least one of the 2 consulates in Lao) won't do them, anymore.  Is Penang the best nearby option, for now?  

I still have a year to go to the magic-age, but am trying to keep an eye on this.  My local office has been reported to make life miserable for anyone who wants to do a conversion.

8 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Recently, some have posted that Lao (or at least one of the 2 consulates in Lao) won't do them, anymore.  Is Penang the best nearby option, for now?  

The embassy in Vientiane want a medical certificate and police clearance (from Thailand is accepted) to do one now. Savannakhet and Penang want both income and money in the bank proof.

• Like 2

i did the conversion from visa exempt entry to non imm O at chaeng wattana (CW) in bangkok (same process for tourist visa).   not sure you plan to apply in bangkok.  i attached a list of the requirements i got from ubonjoe here in TV a couple months ago when i started the process.  i'm going next week to apply for the 12 month extension (got the non imm O in early march).  you go to CW twice, drop of the paperwork first.  then go back about two weeks later to see if you are approved and if so, you get the non imm O stamp.  i didn't wait long either time i went.  i was in/out in 20 minutes each time.

DOCUMENTS TO BE SUBMITTED IN SUPPORT OF THE APPLICATION FOR VISA OR VISA STATUS ALTERATION (NON-O): FOR RETIREMENT PURPOSES.

The application must be submitted at least 15 days before visa expiration and, in case of overstaying in Thailand, application could not be submitted.
    1.1 Form TM.86 for the foreigner, who has Tourist and Transit Visa and applies for Visa Status Alteration and applies for non-immigrant visa; or
    1.2 Form TM.87 for the foreigner, who enters into Thailand without visa, but is allowed to stay in Thailand with a permit of stay for a period of 15 day, 30 days, 90 days and applies for non-immigrant visa.
    A copy of passport pages (for example, personal information page, last entries stamp, visa sticker and extension stamp (if any) and departure card (Form TM.6))
    Either one 4x6 cm photograph or one 2 inch size photograph
    Application fee of Baht 2,000
    5.1 A guarantee letter from the bank in Thailand in Thai language (Attention: Immigration Commissioner)*
    5.2 A copy  of all entries of the applicant’s passbook showing that the applicant has a savings or fixed deposit account  of not less than Baht 800,000* (all documents must be in the Applicant’s name).
    5.3 Evidence of foreign currency fund transferred to Thailand*
    *(Documents under 5.1, 5.2 and 5.3 must be issued and updated to be the same date of the Application and all documents must be in the Applicant’s name.)or
    A guarantee letter from the local or overseas Embassy or Consulate, proving the monthly pension of the Applicant not less than Baht 65,000 per month (together with reference documents showing the source of said monthly pension); or
    Evidence of deposited money under Clause 5 and evidence of income under Clause 6  (for one year) showing the total amount not less than Baht 800,000

(together with reference documents showing the source of said monthly pension) - does this mean Chang wattana wants to see additional documents aside from the actual notarized affidavit? I am a US citizen tuning 50 in 3 months and going to do this exact same visa exempt to Non-O conversion process and would rather do the affidavit than deposit 800, 000 baht in a bank account.

4 minutes ago, calbts2 said:

(together with reference documents showing the source of said monthly pension) - does this mean Chang wattana wants to see additional documents aside from the actual notarized affidavit? I am a US citizen tuning 50 in 3 months and going to do this exact same visa exempt to Non-O conversion process and would rather do the affidavit than deposit 800, 000 baht in a bank account.

They do not ask for it when you apply for the visa. Your income affidavit will be all you will need.

21 hours ago, steve187 said:

when you say tourist visa do you mean a visa obtained from a embassy/consulate ( giving you a 60 day stamp on entry) in home country, or a 30 day visa exempt entry

Oh. I was not aware of the different tourist visas. 

I will check at the Embassy in London. 

I was just thinking of the 30day 

If I have time to get an embassy issued tourist visa, then this allows for a 60day stamp at entry? If so what will they ask for at entry ?

Thanks in advance 

11 minutes ago, Andrew Hayes said:

Oh. I was not aware of the different tourist visas. 

I will check at the Embassy in London. 

I was just thinking of the 30day 

If I have time to get an embassy issued tourist visa, then this allows for a 60day stamp at entry? If so what will they ask for at entry ?

Thanks in advance 

Depending on where you live, an honorary consulate will invariably issue a single entry tourist visa while you wait, though they sometimes want you to make an appointment for that. Personal applications at the London embassy take a couple of days. Postal applications must be made to London, and time would be tight. Requirements for a single entry tourist visa in the UK are minimal: completed application form, photo and money.

Getting a visa is preferable as you may otherwise run into problems with the airline. They often want to see either a visa or an outgoing flight from Thailand within 30 days.

OP - now that you know you can get the non imm O issued in country, you need to focus on opening your thai bank account and getting the money transferred in.  it isn't easy to open a bank account when you've entered the country with a visa exempt entry.  it is easier if you enter with a tourist visa, but even then some have had problems.  i opened mine with a tourist visa entry, a letter from the US embassy (in bangkok) stating my passport was legitimate, a copy of my rental agreement, along with a letter from my landlord stating my rental agreement was legitimate.  i was able to open accounts at bangkok bank and krungthai bank (although i later closed the krungthai accts).  i have two accounts at bangkok bank, one denominated in USD and one denominated in THB. 

Edited by buick