ASEAN agreement and the reality

Drove to Malaysia from Thailand with a Cambodian citizen last week and the Thai immigration officer did not want to stamp her out of Thailand, he said to me that they make problems for Khmer citizen on the Malay side of the border, I told the officer that she been in Malaysia before and he can check the old Malay visa stamp in her passport and that she work for a big Airline in Phnom Penh, he still refused and I called for a supervisor and informed him about the ASEAN agreement, after some time arguing with the very unfriendly officer he stamped her out. At the Malay side of the border we got the same problem and had to speak with another supervisor and were asked why we were coming to Malaysia, told the super visor for a holiday after some 10 minutes of arguing she finally got her in stamp to Malaysia. The ASEAN agreement is just a paper tiger, both the Thais and the Malays look down on Khmer, Laos and Myanmar citizen.

• Like 2

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 3:33 PM, louse1953 said:

But she was stamped out.Time for a  beer Sir Les.

Read it again. I'm asking a question. What are the implications of not getting stamped out?

Edited by FT10toLOS

On 4/29/2017 at 11:02 AM, FT10toLOS said:

So, if she is not stamped out of Thailand, it will make a problem for her on return to Thailand?

Yes of course it would. I did not reply because I thought you were joking.

Without a stamp out of the country she would not be allowed to enter the other country either.

16 minutes ago, muzmurray said:

Do you mean this?  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_ASEAN_members

Because the above shows no visa free travel as a right for Cambodian citizens to any of the ASEAN nations.

It shows the same thing for all other ASEAN countries. I think that page refers to government to government agreements for entry.

On this page it shows Cambodians get a 30 day visa exempt entry. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_Malaysia

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes of course it would. I did not reply because I thought you were joking.

Without a stamp out of the country she would not be allowed to enter the other country either.

Thanks for that Ubon and Muz, I didn't realise travel between ASEAN countries was still so restrictive for ASEAN member citizens.