Must leave before or is leaving on the date in passport acceptable?

Hi all, I have always, just to be on the safe side, left Thailand a few days before the entry permit date stamped in my passport. So, after these many years of staying in Thailand, legally of course, I have never had to resolve my lack of clarity on what the meaning of the word "until" is in the ink box stamped in one's passport is. Sorry if it is obvious to most, it has never been to me.

But this time, due to the May 1 holiday, it looks like it would be better to avoid the crush at the Laos border, on the roads and at the bus station in Isaan and leave on the date stamped in my passport as opposed to the day before which would put me in the midst of a somewhat less opportune time to travel, the myriad problems and chaos of a holiday. I'd rather go when the smoke will likely have cleared.

So to cut to the chase: Is still being in Thailand on the date stamped in one's passport considered overstay? Given the climate and how it continues to worsen for us ex-pats, ex-michaels and georges, the last thing I want is some big blinking and honking "OVERSTAY!" stamped in my passport. But if I had my druthers, I'd prefer to leave on that date.