Need advice on ED Course for TCT license please

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen...

I am in need of your assistance, knowledge and advice. I have traveled 700 km to Bangkok to find out exactly what TCT wants for a teaching license. Was in and our in 5 minutes, I was told only 2 things are accepted:

1. Master Degree in Education 

OR

2. A specialized course in Education that some universities provide. 

NOTE: CELTA, TOEFT is not accepted.

Now please hear me out, what is the cheapest option that will get me through this? I have 2 kids and the money is short unfortunately with standard teaching salary, . I am looking for a course that will allow me to study away (as I need to keep working) I do not mind travelling to BKK once a month or so, if this is necessary. 

Obviously TCT gave me a paper of UNI they recommend which is ABAC ( at 200k), thing is even if I had spare 200k (which I don't) I wouldn't want to spend it on an education degree which will only allow me to keep my job at standard pay (without getting in a pay raise). I think it would make more sense to make master in business administration and have better prospects. I like teaching, however it is not something I plan to do for the rest of my life. 

I have done Thai Culture test right before they cancelled it, we have started building the house to settle down, so a lot of money goes towards the mortgage. 

What are your recommendations and advice for the course. I appreciate your help very much. 

They are accepting Masters Degrees, and more important, Bachelor degrees from the Philippines with majors in Education. You might look for an online course based in the Philippines. I'm sure it's a lot less than 200,000. Baht. Make sure it's accepted by the TCT. In the meantime of course, just keep getting waivers. There is no limit of two waivers despite claims in that regard. Whatever school you work for can make it happen. We admire your effort of traveling 700 Km's to get straight answers. Unfortunately you didn't. You will never make real money with these "degrees". Keep in mind the Filipino community is more than willing to live in Thailand on wages triple those paid in the Philippines. Supporting a family and providing a new house in Thailand on said wage? Not going to happen. God Bless You and OO.

I can offer some comment on the ABAC route as I'm in the final stage of completion of their MEd course.

The course is designed to be completed in a minimum of 2 years, but will take longer if you require the teaching license because TCT requires graduates to have completed the two teaching practice modules, which added over 6 months to my course.  This extra time may be reduced if you can get the uni to allow you to start the teaching practice earlier, but this was not an option in my case - the difference in start date of my school semester compared to the uni was also a factor - the course has to be completed over an entire academic year at your place of work and requires you have someone at your place of work to act as your "mentor".

The teaching practice consists of 4 classroom observations performed by ABAC lecturers, classroom research, and regular contact with your assigned advisors from ABAC (the same staff who do the observations).  This later point was done using WebEx (similar to Skype) on a weekly basis.

In terms of core coursework, the lectures are delivered through video that you can view through their LMS, a number of written assignments / presentations, and exams.  Exams can be done off campus by request if you are not in the BKK area.  I did mine at a local uni.

The course also includes a Thai language and culture module, which meets the TCT requirement.

It can be hard work and frustrating at times, particularly if you do the maximum number of modules per semester and the assignment deadlines fall at the same time.  Self-motivation and commitment are key really.

In the final stages, there is an independent study route or a thesis route.  The thesis route is obviously more involved as you have to conduct some form of research and have that work published or presented at an approved seminar.  From my understanding, if you were pursuing a PhD then the thesis route in the MEd would be beneficial as you need to get to grips with conducting research and using statistics software.

I have heard from others doing the Filipino course, which seems a cheaper and faster option, but can be problematic if you dont complete a module as you can't just retake it, you have to wait for the next time the module is run.  Given how things keep changing with TCT requirements, the ABAC course is at least evaluated and updated by TCT, so you can be sure they will accept the qualification without jumping through additional hoops.

In terms of it opening doors to greater pay....... unlikely, unless you can make a name doing guest speaking at seminars.

Good luck!

1 hour ago, 350LC said:

In terms of it opening doors to greater pay....... unlikely, unless you can make a name doing guest speaking at seminars.

Good luck!

Thanks for your honesty mate. As such an effort certainly should be and is applauded, without any real award other than self enhancement, I personally don't agree with condoning the Thai effort to whip up and harass foreigners without incentive wages. God Bless You and OO.

3 hours ago, BruceMangosteen said:

Thanks for your honesty mate. As such an effort certainly should be and is applauded, without any real award other than self enhancement, I personally don't agree with condoning the Thai effort to whip up and harass foreigners without incentive wages. God Bless You and OO.

You may be lucky depending on your employer, but in my case at least, the higher qualification would not be recognised or rewarded with in an increase in salary.

I had thought about possible opportunities to teach at university level, but (in my area) that would mean taking a considerable pay cut...... even if I went the extra step to get a PhD!  

28,000 THB for an applicant with a master’s degree

40,000 THB for an applicant with a doctoral degree

However, if your intention is to attain a teaching license and gain some level of job security given the ever changing license waiver rules, then it's a good way forward.  Security was my motivation for pursuing the MEd.

It may not open doors to higher pay, but it does open opportunities in terms of allowing you more freedom to change employer should your circumstances change, such as moving to a different area.  As mentioned, speaking at workshops and seminars may also be an option.

In terms of the OP's requirements, the ABAC route would be suitable as the study is done online and exams can be done locally.  The only time I attended the uni campus was to present my thesis, which could be done via WebEx if required.  Sounds more like the OP is looking at study options other than education though.

Interesting to note this information 

only 2 things are accepted:

1. Master Degree in Education 

OR

2. A specialized course in Education that some universities provide 

Is the BEd is no longer sufficient?

3 hours ago, 350LC said:

Is the BEd is no longer sufficient?

"2. A specialized course in Education that some universities provide "

I would assume this means a BA with a major Education. Regardless, nothing online or purchased in Thailand is going to be suffice for a "real" teaching job in the "West" or at a true International School any place on earth. Letting these folks run all over the foreigners not from the Philippines is quite simply ridiculous. The writing is on the whiteboard and it's hire Filipino's because they don't complain and are quite satisfied with wages double and triple those offered in the PI.(I repeat). God Bless Everyone and I hope the students learn English watching TV. OO. 

No BA is not longer sufficient for schools ( it may work at university level, they have different requirements). 

A specialized course in education means a one year course to get a Diploma in Education. It is not a master degree and not bachelor but it meets the requirement of TCT of at least 25 credits to acquire license. For example as people mentioned earlier some universities provide online accredited courses. 

Back to the other question, I have studied in ABAC in 2007 for Mass Communication and I had to transfer to another university,  because the teaching there was abysmal. Their online degree costs 248k at the moment. If I had such money (which I don't, not at 30k a month salary)... I highly doubt I would spend that amount of money on a degree in education not having a significant salary bump. I would rather do MBA which will offer opportunities at 100k a month. Then again as I said, lack of money at the moment is the issue. 

I have get this course done and then look for other ways to make money, but for now this is all there is. 

On 29/04/2017 at 5:29 PM, sup3r1or said:

Now please hear me out, what is the cheapest option that will get me through this?

St.Roberts in Bangkok runs programs in collaboration with institutions from the Philippines. Courses are offered via online/distance learning and include face-to-face sessions. They also have cohorts in other provinces (e.g. Surat Thani), so you may want to check if they have any near you. Their Diploma in Teaching/Education program costs around 50-60,000 baht and can be completed within 1 year.

Below is a link with more information

http://pinoythaiyo.com/2016/04/10/enrollment-is-now-going-on-at-st-roberts-in-thailand/

There is also a program offered by St. Theresa (near Nakhon Nayok), but that one is conducted on-site on weekends. The cost for that one is around 70,000.

More info can be found here: http://www.stic.ac.th/postgraduate-program/graduate-diploma-in-teaching-profession

Aside from these two there are other options (e.g. PGCEi Nottingham, MEd Framingham), but those would cost considerably more.

Hello everyone again....

I want to know all the courses anyone has ever stumbled upon, in terms of both Masters and Diplomas. Is there anything in Chiang Mai? Thats about 1.5 hours away from me.

The school might have a scholarship but I think its unlikely because prior to that years ago I asked about it and it said they only give them out to Thai teachers. 

Also I wanted to ask if the Diploma in Teacher Education works only at schools or at the universities too?

Can someone clarify this for me please?

If I stay in a government school for several years I receive a waiver of my work visa that one day is not eligible any more.

Then if I wish to remain in that school I have to get the teacher license. This would mean attending a course (duration?) and paying what would seem a very large amount of money?

If this is the case, is it not best that I work in a private school where this is not a requirement?

I don't follow the logic of this system at all, and I would be a fool to try to get the license. 

I hold a regular BSc degree and a CELTA cert.

On 5/4/2017 at 2:28 PM, sup3r1or said:

Hello everyone again....

I want to know all the courses anyone has ever stumbled upon, in terms of both Masters and Diplomas. Is there anything in Chiang Mai? Thats about 1.5 hours away from me.

The school might have a scholarship but I think its unlikely because prior to that years ago I asked about it and it said they only give them out to Thai teachers. 

Also I wanted to ask if the Diploma in Teacher Education works only at schools or at the universities too?

I did the Diploma of Education through St Roberts. Its not relevant for working at unis only at schools. I got a waiver no problem with the Diploma and will be going for the full licence soon. Dont bother doing the course if you want to work at unis. Universities have their own standards. I know some people working at unis with only Bachelor Degrees, then again one guy just finished his Masters in TESOL. The Dip in Teacher Ed is for the Teachers Licence. This is not required for working at universities. 

Can anyone help me out? 

Can anyone list any universities that do Diploma in Education?  I live up North does anyone know of any universities in Chiang Mai that do it as non-full time?

My school might be able to help me out financially, they want info on courses, yet I cant find anything apart from Master Degree. 

St Roberts and IFUGAO do not reply to emails at all, I am at a loss and have no bleeding idea how to contact them anymore. 

Bangkok Universities also I can try if anyone knows anything as long as they can do it online or some other way, maybe attending once a month. 

What about Master Degrees on a cheap? 

JimJim

BSC and Celta won't work to get TCT license anymore, also in the university it won't work either as your (like mine) Bachelor Degree is not in English Language or Education, that is what they want now.  

Your best bet would be either do a course in Education or Masters, or as you said go private. 

On 5/5/2017 at 8:00 AM, Jimjim1968 said:

Can someone clarify this for me please?

If I stay in a government school for several years I receive a waiver of my work visa that one day is not eligible any more.

Then if I wish to remain in that school I have to get the teacher license. This would mean attending a course (duration?) and paying what would seem a very large amount of money?

If this is the case, is it not best that I work in a private school where this is not a requirement?

I don't follow the logic of this system at all, and I would be a fool to try to get the license. 

I hold a regular BSc degree and a CELTA cert.

The private school's will have the same TL requirement. Where the confusion reigns is the "waiver". It isn't a waiver or a work VISA, it's a waiver allowing you to teach in said school. There is no limit of "two". If the school has any pull whatsoever they can arrange additional waivers, if they want to keep you of course. After a few years you are starting to get expensive and begin asking questions about how things are run etc.. They don't want either one. God Bless You and OO.

^Theoretically, you are limited to 3 waivers, each good for 2 years each.  However, waivers are permission to teach at a specific school, so if you leave a school after a few months, you will have used up 2 of your 6 years.

Some schools have some pull with the TCT, so you might get stretched to 8 years (I'm starting my 8th year of waivers), but after that you  should think about getting a PGCE or Grad. Diploma in Ed. or just leaving Thailand. (I'm working on a Grad. Dip. myself)

Some schools will list teachers as 'resource personnel' to get a WP without a TL, but that is always a bit uncertain and a random decision by a govt. clerk could cut you off without warning.

While I tried to email St Roberts things like this don't instill confidence. 

By the way what are the cheapest masters in ed on the market now?

Does anyone know of other places giving diploma in education apart from the ones we talked?

Screenshot_20170508-104145.png

On 08/05/2017 at 0:35 PM, sup3r1or said:

While I tried to email St Roberts things like this don't instill confidence. 

By the way what are the cheapest masters in ed on the market now?

Does anyone know of other places giving diploma in education apart from the ones we talked?

Screenshot_20170508-104145.png

Try typing 'saintroberts' instead of 'saintrobers'. That should work. Another option is to give them a call.

http://rged.saintrobertsgroup.com/ANNOUNCEMENT

Archived