Khon Kaen - the low down

Rc2702

On 5/8/2017 at 10:27 AM, Gary A said:

Salt water beaches really do nothing for me except they do look beautiful. I can do without things rusting and electronic devices corroding. I had enough salt water when I was in the navy. Rivers and freshwater lakes are much better, at least for me. You can't water your garden with salt water. Living in the boonies is what I prefer. With super centers within 20 or 30 kilometers is fine. I like trees, mountains and waterfalls. Even the rice paddies are beautiful. To each his own. I think the biggest problem about any city is the congestion, the insane traffic, not to mention the crazy drivers.

I have a nice condo in Jomtien less than a kilometer from the Gulf. I now rarely use it but it is there if I want a change of scenery, fighting traffic, see the surf and bright lights of the city. After more than five years of living in Bangkok, I hate the thought of having to go to any large city for any reason. Different strokes for different folks.

A dear uncle of mine, long since departed, used to say:

"The only thing that spoils the beach is sand".

23 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

As i stated havent spent much time in udon first impressions count a lot for me and now reinforced by your description. Sounds like a the costa del sol of Thailand. Not my cup of tea. Whereas KK has very little farang based stuff the way i like it.

No farangs anywhere near me and I am just off the Udon Thani east ring road. But 5 minutes further into the boonies, there's an Irish pub that makes a smokin' pizza. Five minutes south, a sports bar that has awesome, fresh draft beer and a great kitchen.

Within a 10 to 15 minute drive the other way, I can enjoy good food, cold beer and "better than Pattaya" conversation with some middle-aged, mostly retired guys who actually have done their homework. You know, the ones that have a car in their own name, kids finishing school in England, wife not attached at the hip, etc., etc.. Shopping is a dawdle be if for something bespoke like a PTO flange for the Kubota, the latest Samsung curved screen washer-drier espresso machine or a simple bowl of noodles. Designer noodles can be done too but you need to wait a bit longer. If you want to eat Thai, totally spoiled for choice but that's pretty much the case anywhere in LOS.

There's just enough farang-centric shopping (we have TWO Villa Markets) and a growing amount of great restaurants serving western fare and catering to the relatively well off resident Thai clientele. The impoverished, balloon-chasing pensioners have their little ghetto's but there's absolutely no reason to be seen dead (or alive) in any of them. Golfing, camping, fishing, horse racing, archery... but I digress.

Udon is cosmopolitan-rustic-provincial whereas KK is merely provincial. The best thing to come out of KK is the Mitrapharb headed north to Udon IMHO. I recommend that anyone come up and give it a shot; it's only 75 minutes away after all. Mid week is best as it does tend to get clogged up with Lao-plated Bugatti's and the like at weekends. The amount of new, 2-star and 3-star (under 800 baht/night) boutique hotels has tripled in the last 18 months or so; just have a look on agoda, booking or whatever you like.

FWIW, Rolls Royce are doing a promo at the Centara next to the mall at the moment.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

No farangs anywhere near me and I am just off the Udon Thani east ring road. But 5 minutes further into the boonies, there's an Irish pub that makes a smokin' pizza. Five minutes south, a sports bar that has awesome, fresh draft beer and a great kitchen.

Within a 10 to 15 minute drive the other way, I can enjoy good food, cold beer and "better than Pattaya" conversation with some middle-aged, mostly retired guys who actually have done their homework. You know, the ones that have a car in their own name, kids finishing school in England, wife not attached at the hip, etc., etc.. Shopping is a dawdle be if for something bespoke like a PTO flange for the Kubota, the latest Samsung curved screen washer-drier espresso machine or a simple bowl of noodles. Designer noodles can be done too but you need to wait a bit longer. If you want to eat Thai, totally spoiled for choice but that's pretty much the case anywhere in LOS.

There's just enough farang-centric shopping (we have TWO Villa Markets) and a growing amount of great restaurants serving western fare and catering to the relatively well off resident Thai clientele. The impoverished, balloon-chasing pensioners have their little ghetto's but there's absolutely no reason to be seen dead (or alive) in any of them. Golfing, camping, fishing, horse racing, archery... but I digress.

Udon is cosmopolitan-rustic-provincial whereas KK is merely provincial. The best thing to come out of KK is the Mitrapharb headed north to Udon IMHO. I recommend that anyone come up and give it a shot; it's only 75 minutes away after all. Mid week is best as it does tend to get clogged up with Lao-plated Bugatti's and the like at weekends. The amount of new, 2-star and 3-star (under 800 baht/night) boutique hotels has tripled in the last 18 months or so; just have a look on agoda, booking or whatever you like.

FWIW, Rolls Royce are doing a promo at the Centara next to the mall at the moment.

Which is all reinforcing what i said a farang costa in Thailand. I'll stay 104k away. So are you suggesting that a car in there own name or rug rats sent away from parents to finish there education and being a mans man whilst wifey is at home cooking or knitting are some how superior to othere lol

I am looking for genuine information about the Khon Kaen Rockets festival this coming weekend. I believe it's in a place called Kai Nual. Can anybody give me any more info? Genuine replies really appreciated. Vexational, negative comments not needed. Thanks in advance. 

Hi. You seem to know Khan Kaen. I am looking for genuine information about the Khon Kaen Rockets festival this coming weekend. I believe it's in a place called Kai Nual. Can you give me any more info?  Thanks in advance. 

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Udon is cosmopolitan-rustic-provincial whereas KK is merely provincial. The best thing to come out of KK is the Mitrapharb headed north to Udon IMHO. I recommend that anyone come up and give it a shot; it's only 75 minutes away after all. Mid week is best as it does tend to get clogged up with Lao-plated Bugatti's and the like at weekends.

This pretty well sums up KK for me, we bought land in KK, just off the road to the dam about 10 years ago with the intention of building a retirement place there. When the time came to make a move I just couldn't commit to KK living, the town itself simply has nothing, just another boring Thai provincial town that caters little to expats! Busy roads, noisy traffic! one of the things that put me off building was having to drive on that section of road into between the dam & KK regularly, that is a dangerous section of highway IMO!

So, after 15 years in Pattaya & 8 years in Bangkok we ended up 12k outside of Udon Thani, most things are available, the scenery is certainly a lot nicer than the flat lands around KK, though not as pleasing on the eye as the eye candy that is available for viewing in Pattaya, I'm pleased I made the decision to move here, not so sure I would have been as content in KK

I do miss some of the amenities that Pattaya provided, but all in all Udon has it over KK by a long way.

17 minutes ago, CGW said:

This pretty well sums up KK for me, we bought land in KK, just off the road to the dam about 10 years ago with the intention of building a retirement place there. When the time came to make a move I just couldn't commit to KK living, the town itself simply has nothing, just another boring Thai provincial town that caters little to expats! Busy roads, noisy traffic! one of the things that put me off building was having to drive on that section of road into between the dam & KK regularly, that is a dangerous section of highway IMO!

So, after 15 years in Pattaya & 8 years in Bangkok we ended up 12k outside of Udon Thani, most things are available, the scenery is certainly a lot nicer than the flat lands around KK, though not as pleasing on the eye as the eye candy that is available for viewing in Pattaya, I'm pleased I made the decision to move here, not so sure I would have been as content in KK

I do miss some of the amenities that Pattaya provided, but all in all Udon has it over KK by a long way.

Yes pretty much sums up why i like KK. I didnt come to thailand to be catered for if i would have wanted that theres Spain, Cyprus, Malta, Singapore. Or Pattaya/bangkok/udon Thani

Edited by jeab1980

2 hours ago, The manic said:

Hi. You seem to know Khan Kaen. I am looking for genuine information about the Khon Kaen Rockets festival this coming weekend. I believe it's in a place called Kai Nual. Can you give me any more info?  Thanks in advance. 

I did a quick google for Khon Kaen rocket festivals and nothing new came up. Loads of hits on prior ones in KK, Kalasin and elsewhere though. Check TaT's pages maybe?

You need to ask jeab1980. He has a pretty good handle on KK's non-events so may know something about these rockets as well.

He claims he lives there anyway.

Edited by NanLaew

3 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Which is all reinforcing what i said a farang costa in Thailand. I'll stay 104k away. 

Having never experienced whatever a 'costa' is, I will defer to your opinion on that.

So are you suggesting that a car in there own name or rug rats sent away from parents to finish there education and being a mans man whilst wifey is at home cooking or knitting are some how superior to othere lol

No, you are reading way, way too much into my simple, factual comments.

As usual.

Having never experienced whatever a 'costa' is, I will defer to your opinion on that.

No, you are reading way, way too much into my simple, factual comments.

As usual.

I was in fact reading what you wrote now if you wrote simple factual coments then it did not read that way. 

As usual 

Suffice to say i dont rate Udon Thani as you dont rate KK thats fine we are allowed to differ. As to your  "he claims he lives there anyway" coment, how very childish. I could but wont say the same tbing about you and Udon.

7 hours ago, starky said:

I guess a very very small part of town could be described that way. I dont do the bars and that its not my thing. Im also not in town closer to Nong Khai than Udon but ive got mates all over Isaan so I do a fair bit of driving. I do know however that generally when my mates from KK have friends from home around they will head up to Udon rather than stick around KK. Doesnt really mean anything just something ive noticed all  really subjective though at the end of the day.

Well, you saying that, has made me think a bit. I have some friends coming over in a month or two. I will try both KK and Udon. Let them choose.

7 hours ago, Pat in Pattaya said:

Stop following me around you weirdo.

You sound like your a frustrated non-mod. Play your card rights and you may achieve your dream one day. Just think you would be able to apprehend me then. Good luck.

Not following trust me better things to do with my life. You just pop up in threads i read trolling. Why in heavens sake would i want to waste time apprehending a no body.

That really depends on what you like.theres the normal thai food places fast food placed steak and indian places. Me i like Thai food albiet not to spicy now the old tummy cant do  to spicy anymore but theres a lot thats not spicy. Cant remember the last time i had an English type meal. What i love is the all you can eat sea food BBQ's.

Is their one of those buffets in kk?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, irlguy1 said:

Is their one of those buffets in kk?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Several in and arond kk. The ones i like are out twds tesco lotus highway 2 towards Udon Thani. 

I was in fact reading what you wrote now if you wrote simple factual coments then it did not read that way. 

As usual 

Suffice to say i dont rate Udon Thani as you dont rate KK thats fine we are allowed to differ. As to your  "he claims he lives there anyway" coment, how very childish. I could but wont say the same tbing about you and Udon.

It's not a case of my not rating KK. There's nothing to rate really. It's just a point on the highway as I head home. I am pretty sure that those that choose to set up home there are a decent mix, yourself included, just as they are in Udon and elsewhere. You are the one who arbitrarily denigrated the Udon expat demographic so don't get the red-arse when someone offers a more realistic viewpoint and pokes a bit of fun at your chosen Isaan backwater.

Now, are there any rockets down there next weekend? Someone wants to come visit.

Edited by NanLaew

As a regular visitor to both, and I appreciate that things can be very different when you live here, I find the two quite similar in many ways, and neither anything like Pattaya.
Pretty much one Soi of beer bars at each catering for Ferangs, the usual array of large Superstores and Central at both, local day and night markets. I enjoy the Udon Food Park at night with the local markets a d music and equally enjoy the Ton Tann Market and food area.
There's loads more I know and I have only scraped the surface. I'm off to KK tomorrow for a couple of days then to Udon so I will see a bit more of each.
One thing for sure, for me they both knock spots off Petchabun where I am now.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

It's not a case of my not rating KK. There's nothing to rate really. It's just a point on the highway as I head home. I am pretty sure that those that choose to set up home there are a decent mix, yourself included, just as they are in Udon and elsewhere. You are the one who arbitrarily denigrated the Udon expat demographic so don't get the red-arse when someone offers a more realistic viewpoint and pokes a bit of fun at your chosen Isaan backwater.

Now, are there any rockets down there next weekend? Someone wants to come visit.

Hes welcome you stay in costa udon. 

I think KK is good for a young family as you describe it. Good schools, good infrastructure, hospitals, shopping, plenty of food options, nightlife, airport and other facilities. Granted other cities in Issan are similar. My recommendation would be to look at Khon Kaen, Udon, Ubon and Korat and then make a decision where you like to stay. Smaller cities are ok too but don't offer as much.

Sent from my SM-J710F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 5/22/2017 at 2:09 PM, The manic said:

I am looking for genuine information about the Khon Kaen Rockets festival this coming weekend. I believe it's in a place called Kai Nual. Can anybody give me any more info? Genuine replies really appreciated. Vexational, negative comments not needed. Thanks in advance. 

The festival is in Kranuan, Khon Kaen.  About an hour north of KKC. The festival is May 27 & 28th.  Best place to stay is probably Castle Howchow. 

On 2017-5-22 at 4:35 PM, NanLaew said:

I did a quick google for Khon Kaen rocket festivals and nothing new came up. Loads of hits on prior ones in KK, Kalasin and elsewhere though. Check TaT's pages maybe?

You need to ask jeab1980. He has a pretty good handle on KK's non-events so may know something about these rockets as well.

He claims he lives there anyway.

I have uploaded a list of the Rockets festivals to this forum. 

On 2017-5-22 at 9:07 PM, NanLaew said:

Kranuan is where the Rockets Festival is held. I am here now. 

14 hours ago, habanero said:

The festival is in Kranuan, Khon Kaen.  About an hour north of KKC. The festival is May 27 & 28th.  Best place to stay is probably Castle Howchow. 

Thanks V much for your reply.  Do you know anything about the Roi et festivals. one is at prathunam rat and the other Suwannopoom. I wonder which one is best. 

• 6 years later...
On 5/5/2017 at 4:58 PM, Khon Kaen Dave said:

I live about 28km out of KK.I have been here for 2 years now, and i have to say that i like it. My 'present' wife and i go once a month to the Kosa hotel and visit the bars in that street. We play pool and generally speak to other expats. Its just nice to hear my own language spoken once in a while.We found a good dog kennel last week where we could put our dogs for holiday purposes.I have found KK immigration to be pleasant and easy to deal with.There are big supermarkets there, Lotus, is good, and i think there are 2 of them. There is a Makro there and many day markets.In the back streets there are some good second hand book shops.Central is always a nice place to go to visit the cinima.I lived in  Patts for 9 years and thought i would not get on with a city out in the sticks, but now, i know why i moved there.I was very surprised at the cleanliness of the street cafes that serve chicken and other Thai dishes.Udon is a bit like Patts, having many expats who enjoy the bar scene, which is fine if that's your thing. Its about 100 km from KK.

I wish you luck in your future visit.

Dave did you  used to go to the quiz night?