Khon Kaen - the low down

Rc2702

5 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Yes, at the moment, its almost unbearable, outside. But we have had some rain of biblical proportions that is marvelous to watch, when accompanied by the static electricity in the sky at night. Anyway, i love the heat, its always a good excuse to tell the 'present' wife, that felangs have to drink beer in the hot weather, or our ATM cards shrivel up and die.:drunk:

Wish we would have some rain here looked promising last night hell of a wind thunder lightnning but no rain at all. Looked like downtown KK got it. We need the rain the eddible flying bugs arent coming out at night LOL

2 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Wish we would have some rain here looked promising last night hell of a wind thunder lightnning but no rain at all. Looked like downtown KK got it. We need the rain the eddible flying bugs arent coming out at night LOL

We are 28 km out of KK going towards Udon. It started late and went on for about an hour. Knocked out the TV for a bit and we had an electrical out for about 5 minutes, but man, did it rain.My 'present'  wife paid some guys 12,000 baht to put up some guttering on two sides of the house. I refused to pay for it, as i told her it wouldn't make a hape'worth of different, and the guys were all know nothings.The first real test of it was last night. It made no difference at all. The whole yard was soaked. Rather than get the guys back, she told me, i was to blame. Seriously? can you imagine these guys being happy with a supervisor, and a felang to boot.

I suggested that she call a proper construction guy, but she had to go with the next door neighbour, who said he knew.

12000 for the labour + 4,600for materials. completely ripped off and very pissed about it, and the fact that i was right.

36 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

We are 28 km out of KK going towards Udon. It started late and went on for about an hour. Knocked out the TV for a bit and we had an electrical out for about 5 minutes, but man, did it rain.My 'present'  wife paid some guys 12,000 baht to put up some guttering on two sides of the house. I refused to pay for it, as i told her it wouldn't make a hape'worth of different, and the guys were all know nothings.The first real test of it was last night. It made no difference at all. The whole yard was soaked. Rather than get the guys back, she told me, i was to blame. Seriously? can you imagine these guys being happy with a supervisor, and a felang to boot.

I suggested that she call a proper construction guy, but she had to go with the next door neighbour, who said he knew.

12000 for the labour + 4,600for materials. completely ripped off and very pissed about it, and the fact that i was right.

Funny we are 28k out as well twds udon  and no rain. We got our guttering done by a local guttering chap great job and i divert all rain water from roof into the 10 massive harvesting pots (cant remember there name) once there full I divert it into the land iether side of us (which is ours by the way) works a treat. 12000 is very steep for guttering all ours 3 sides of house in total with fixings and labour was 5500bht. 

Edited by jeab1980

23 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Lovley sandy beach up at the dam its been cleaned up as have the eating bargesgot to get there early its packed at weekends dino's water park is great for young kids and young at heart kids! (I love water slides) expebsive at peak times go after 4pm and its a lot cheaper.  Dinasour museum was a good day out. And the Ellephant temple on highway 2 twds udon is well worth a visit.

They created a sandy beach on the side of Loch Morlich long time ago but it never became the seaside. Its each to his own and I would never want to be very far from the sea

Last night we went to a restaurant in Ang Sila and watched the sun sink into the sea, just unfortunate the tide was out, nothings ever perfect.

1 minute ago, sandyf said:

They created a sandy beach on the side of Loch Morlich long time ago but it never became the seaside. Its each to his own and I would never want to be very far from the sea

Last night we went to a restaurant in Ang Sila and watched the sun sink into the sea, just unfortunate the tide was out, nothings ever perfect.

As you say each to there own have lived near tbe sea many times but never bothered to use the beach.  Ps you can sit up at the dam enjoying a sea food platter and watch the sun dissapear  into the water as well plus the added bonus tides never out.

13 minutes ago, jeab1980 said:

As you say each to there own have lived near tbe sea many times but never bothered to use the beach.  Ps you can sit up at the dam enjoying a sea food platter and watch the sun dissapear  into the water as well plus the added bonus tides never out.

I don't doubt it but there's something about the sea breeze with salt in the air. Maybe its a childhood thing I grew up on the coast near Findhorn.

1 hour ago, jeab1980 said:

Funny we are 28k out as well twds udon  and no rain. We got our guttering done by a local guttering chap great job and i divert all rain water from roof into the 10 massive harvesting pots (cant remember there name) once there full I divert it into the land iether side of us (which is ours by the way) works a treat. 12000 is very steep for guttering all ours 3 sides of house in total with fixings and labour was 5500bht. 

Well, i can assure you, we had a cloud burst last night. We are in Nam Phong. Maybe Buddha decided that your part of the province had committed some cardinal sin, and that you were to forgo your share of the tempest, and directed it to us.Look out in the sky soon for the angel of death that will descend upon you. You will have to daub moo blood on your doors to escape this holocaust, and the Angel will not stop over your house.And, every year, from hence forth, you will have to eat bitter chili's, and unleavened khoa pat to celebrate this escape. What shall we call it? Oh, i know, how about 'Pass Over'?

And as for the guttering, i told my Current wife, exactly the same thing, and using collectors as well, but would she listen ? Of course not. "felang not understand."

Edited by Khon Kaen Dave
additional content

36 minutes ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Well, i can assure you, we had a cloud burst last night. We are in Nam Phong. Maybe Buddha decided that your part of the province had committed some cardinal sin, and that you were to forgo your share of the tempest, and directed it to us.Look out in the sky soon for the angel of death that will descend upon you. You will have to daub moo blood on your doors to escape this holocaust, and the Angel will not stop over your house.And, every year, from hence forth, you will have to eat bitter chili's, and unleavened khoa pat to celebrate this escape. What shall we call it? Oh, i know, how about 'Pass Over'?

And as for the guttering, i told my Current wife, exactly the same thing, and using collectors as well, but would she listen ? Of course not. "felang not understand."

We have a deluge going on now great bug hunting tn

6 hours ago, sandyf said:

I don't doubt it but there's something about the sea breeze with salt in the air. Maybe its a childhood thing I grew up on the coast near Findhorn.

We went to the Dam a few weeks ago. It really is a feat of engineering. Its a fabulous place. My 'present' wife and i are having some friends over from the UK in June / July. We will definitely take them there. We also found a little resort to stay in and some good eating places. Good for a long weekend. There is also an eating house/karaoake there so that will give the girls a chance to belt out a few numbers, and me, when i am pressed into service, with a few Chang's under my belt, to do my pub singers rendition of Frankies "i did it side ways"

Salt water beaches really do nothing for me except they do look beautiful. I can do without things rusting and electronic devices corroding. I had enough salt water when I was in the navy. Rivers and freshwater lakes are much better, at least for me. You can't water your garden with salt water. Living in the boonies is what I prefer. With super centers within 20 or 30 kilometers is fine. I like trees, mountains and waterfalls. Even the rice paddies are beautiful. To each his own. I think the biggest problem about any city is the congestion, the insane traffic, not to mention the crazy drivers.

I have a nice condo in Jomtien less than a kilometer from the Gulf. I now rarely use it but it is there if I want a change of scenery, fighting traffic, see the surf and bright lights of the city. After more than five years of living in Bangkok, I hate the thought of having to go to any large city for any reason. Different strokes for different folks.

On 5/8/2017 at 10:27 AM, Gary A said:

Salt water beaches really do nothing for me except they do look beautiful. I can do without things rusting and electronic devices corroding. I had enough salt water when I was in the navy. Rivers and freshwater lakes are much better, at least for me. You can't water your garden with salt water. Living in the boonies is what I prefer. With super centers within 20 or 30 kilometers is fine. I like trees, mountains and waterfalls. Even the rice paddies are beautiful. To each his own. I think the biggest problem about any city is the congestion, the insane traffic, not to mention the crazy drivers.

I have a nice condo in Jomtien less than a kilometer from the Gulf. I now rarely use it but it is there if I want a change of scenery, fighting traffic, see the surf and bright lights of the city. After more than five years of living in Bangkok, I hate the thought of having to go to any large city for any reason. Different strokes for different folks.

You and me both, I live out in the sticks but only about 4 miles from the sea as the crow flies.

I went to Bangkok yesterday with my wife and her sister to pay respects to the King. How anyone can put up with that congestion on a daily basis is beyond me.

There is salt water and salt water, I did 10 days on the Fearless, as a 'crabfat' off the coast of Oman back in 1970, never been so glad to get back on dry land in my life. They say its a small world, I met the chief from the flight deck about 6 years later when he came to Honington with 809.

On 2017-5-6 at 2:36 PM, sirineou said:

Live there only part of the year, still working in the US for an other two years.

Have a place just outside the ring road in a small village, only 15 min to the center of the city.

It all depends on your personality.

I am a home body, and like quiet time with my family, and pattering around the house. I get to enjoy the country life ,yet in 15 min get to enjoy all that a big city has to offer.

Morning market for fresh produce, always something to do  around the house. visit wife's family (great people), go to the dam and sit in a hut by the water eating som-tom and having a beer while watching the kids play in the water. later a stroll at the night market.

Plenty of places to visit on the weekends. KK zoo and water park, cobra village, trip to Laos. etc etc

Some times stay at a little hotel name BB. by the lake and spend the evening in the city.

Convenient airport for a quick trip to BBK . Krabi. or back to the States.

Love it there , and so do all my friends who come to visit.but we are birds of a feather.

So as I said, depends on your personality.  

Nice post. Would you mind advising the area name near the ring road ad we are very much home bodies too and I have read about some properties which all say "near the ring road" country living a stones throw away from the city. If you would prefer you could PM me the area name. Given you mention country side feel may I ask what the Internet is like where you are too?

6 hours ago, Rc2702 said:

Nice post. Would you mind advising the area name near the ring road ad we are very much home bodies too and I have read about some properties which all say "near the ring road" country living a stones throw away from the city. If you would prefer you could PM me the area name. Given you mention country side feel may I ask what the Internet is like where you are too?

So many area names near the ring road it starts up by the new bus stn and swings round in both directions and rejions 2 at the Kalasin turn off. Google map highway 2 you will clearly see the 230. If you throw these in 16.505325,102.794972 although you wont see it there building a massive gated housing estate over the road from there prices from 1m. They look ok but to tightly packed in for me. There are also new developments on highway 12 near the airport.

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/05/2017 at 0:41 PM, jeab1980 said:

Was this aluminium or pvc?

On 07/05/2017 at 0:41 PM, jeab1980 said:

On 5/7/2017 at 0:06 PM, Khon Kaen Dave said:

GUYS

2 hours ago, Pat in Pattaya said:

Most of the expats on this thread are clearly expats with no friends. Everything is with the wife, and wife's family. Sad cases.

Rather be a sad case than a mental case in Pattaya Pat.

Most of the expats on this thread are clearly expats with no friends. Everything is with the wife, and wife's family. Sad cases.

I choose my friends very carefully and with people like you around it's a wise choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 5/19/2017 at 2:24 AM, Pat in Pattaya said:

Why sad? IMO What is sad is traveling around the world to do the same you did back home only to save a couple of pennies. If I wanted to hung out with the likes of you I would have stayed home.

I don't begrudge for doing what you like, no skin off of my nose. Don't begrudge me. 

I love my wife, my wife loves me. She is my best friend.  Her family are very nice people I like them and like being around them.

Who says I don't have friends ?why cant my family be my friends also. IMO you have the wrong friends.

Khon Kaen is nice, but honestly I would be happy with her and them most places in Thailand.

Personally I am sad you don't have the same 

Edited by sirineou

On Friday, May 05, 2017 at 9:21 AM, jeab1980 said:

Having driven in both places can say there is not much diffrence. Udon has an overly large congregation of expats for some reason. Personaly i dont like the place in genral but i have to say i have only spent limited time there. But my first impressions of the place were not favourable.

Its weird that you heap such praise on KK but clearly dislike Udon so much. Honestly, personally I dont think there is much in it except the fact there is a lot more farang based stuff in Udon. I think Udon is so popular with expats because of the Airport, proximity to the border and mostly because it is probably the most farang centric city in Isaan. Probably not everyones cup of tea but good to have all the conveniences available if thats what you want.

1 hour ago, starky said:

Its weird that you heap such praise on KK but clearly dislike Udon so much. Honestly, personally I dont think there is much in it except the fact there is a lot more farang based stuff in Udon. I think Udon is so popular with expats because of the Airport, proximity to the border and mostly because it is probably the most farang centric city in Isaan. Probably not everyones cup of tea but good to have all the conveniences available if thats what you want.

Although i live a mere 85 kliks from Udon, i have only ever been to the out skirts. My 'present' wife has a sister there.

from what you say, i would guess that is something like a land locked Pattaya, but smaller.

1 hour ago, starky said:

As i stated havent spent much time in udon first impressions count a lot for me and now reinforced by your description. Sounds like a the costa del sol of Thailand. Not my cup of tea. Whereas KK has very little farang based stuff the way i like it.

3 minutes ago, irlguy1 said:

If their was a food style lacking in kk what would it be?
Is their much of a selection by way of restaurants/bar food?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That really depends on what you like.theres the normal thai food places fast food placed steak and indian places. Me i like Thai food albiet not to spicy now the old tummy cant do  to spicy anymore but theres a lot thats not spicy. Cant remember the last time i had an English type meal. What i love is the all you can eat sea food BBQ's.

Edited by jeab1980

23 hours ago, Khon Kaen Dave said:

Although i live a mere 85 kliks from Udon, i have only ever been to the out skirts. My 'present' wife has a sister there.

from what you say, i would guess that is something like a land locked Pattaya, but smaller.

I guess a very very small part of town could be described that way. I dont do the bars and that its not my thing. Im also not in town closer to Nong Khai than Udon but ive got mates all over Isaan so I do a fair bit of driving. I do know however that generally when my mates from KK have friends from home around they will head up to Udon rather than stick around KK. Doesnt really mean anything just something ive noticed all  really subjective though at the end of the day.

On 5/20/2017 at 5:42 PM, sirineou said:

Why sad? IMO What is sad is traveling around the world to do the same you did back home only to save a couple of pennies. If I wanted to hung out with the likes of you I would have stayed home.

I don't begrudge for doing what you like, no skin off of my nose. Don't begrudge me. 

I love my wife, my wife loves me. She is my best friend.  Her family are very nice people I like them and like being around them.

Who says I don't have friends ?why cant my family be my friends also. IMO you have the wrong friends.

Khon Kaen is nice, but honestly I would be happy with her and them most places in Thailand.

Personally I am sad you don't have the same 

Good effort, billy no mates.