Jail trip journalist flees country

geovalin

Radio Free Asia journalist Chun Chanboth has fled the country after Phnom Penh Municipal Court summoned him over allegations he lied to gain access to opposition activists in prison. Interior Ministry spokesman Khieu Sopheak said the journalist left the country for Thailand on Friday. He said the immigration department took no action to stop him leaving because the court had not told Mr Chanboth he must stay in Cambodia.

Mr Chanboth, who is deputy director of RFA’s US-based Khmer service, could not be reached for comment but posted on Facebook that he had learned a lot from recent events. He added that his experience in life had helped him make the right decision. “Thank you friends and fellow citizens everywhere who are concerned about me and pray for my happiness. I hope that peace will come to all of us if we love each other and care about each other like this,” he said.  

The popular RFA commentator, who is also known as Huot Vuthy, allegedly failed to disclose his profession when he signed into Prey Sar prison with a delegation of opposition CNRP officials last month. The court had ordered him to appear tomorrow to explain himself. CNRP lawmaker Long Ry and party vice-president Mu Sochua were also called as witnesses.

read more http://www.khmertimeskh.com/news/37904/jail-trip-journalist--flees-country/

khmer_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khmer Times 01/05