garbolino

here's a couple of questions for you all to answer.....why do Thai drivers indicate to go around a bend....why do Thai drivers indicate when GOING down a multi storey car park?? 

They are entering a one way road (can only turn left) why do they indicate??

why do they put the HAZARD warning lights on when approaching a JUNCTION??

Do they get taught these actions within the 5 hours of tuition?

here's a couple of questions for you all to answer.....why do Thai drivers indicate to go around a bend....why do Thai drivers indicate when GOING down a multi storey car park?? 

Why do they turn without indication, why indicate one direction then drive the opposite way, why leave indicators on when not turning and why drive into oncoming traffic on the wrong side of the road?
You could question so many things about driving here the list seems almost endless and come to absolutely no logical conclusion

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

The easy answer is'they dont'.

You are making wild generalisations about literally millions of people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, garbolino said:

Well it's gonna be 15 hours in future so maybe they'll be taught more safety signalling qualities.

See nothing wrong with what you mention,  if l come up to junction with flashing red lights l put my hazards on, it's part of driving safely. 

1 hour ago, Dagnabbit said:

The easy answer is'they dont'.

You are making wild generalisations about literally millions of people.

do you actually live or drive in Thailand??  your post is soooooooo incorrect

2 minutes ago, Lamkyong said:

do you actually live or drive in Thailand??  your post is soooooooo incorrect

No he's correct...most of the posts on this thread are purely personal perception and do not reflect what is actually happening. The idea...once planted is then re-enforced through confirmation bias.

There is however as with many urban myths a germ of truth...... Many driving instructors in Thailand tell their students not to indicate until you actually START the manoeuvre...this of course is insane.

As for hazards... The international convention is just that....they indicate that your vehicle is a hazard....there are NO circumstances in which they should be used on a moving vehicle.

In many countries however they are used inappropriately ..e g  towing etc.

In Thailand it has become  customary to use them at junctions to "indicate" going straight on......this again is ridiculous as other drivers have to be able to see both lights to understand the signal. They are also used in heavy rain...again an extremely  dangerous practice.

However what most of the posts on this thread show is the gross misunderstanding of driving in Thailand that prevails amongst many expats.

As ever those with little understanding if either driving or road safety make the assumption they are in a position to criticise Thai driving.

It is more likely to be that if you have to spend all your time criticising other road users, you shouldn't  be on the road yourself.

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Well it's gonna be 15 hours in future so maybe they'll be taught more safety signalling qualities.

See nothing wrong with what you mention,  if l come up to junction with flashing red lights l put my hazards on, it's part of driving safely. 

QED

1 minute ago, Airbagwill said:

No he's correct...most of the posts on this thread are purely personal perception and do not reflect what is actually happening. The idea...once planted is then re-enforced through confirmation bias.

There is however as with many urban myths a germ of truth...... Many driving instructors in Thailand tell their students not to indicate until you actually START the manoeuvre...this of course is insane.

As for hazards... The international convention is just that....they indicate that your vehicle is a hazard....there are NO circumstances in which they should be used on a moving vehicle.

In many countries however they are used inappropriately ..e g  towing etc.

In Thailand it has become  customary to use them at junctions to "indicate" going straight on......this again is ridiculous as other drivers have to be able to see both lights to understand the signal. They are also used in heavy rain...again an extremely  dangerous practice.

However what most of the posts on this thread show is the gross misunderstanding of driving in Thailand that prevails amongst many expats.

As ever those with little understanding if either driving or road safety make the assumption they are in a position to criticise Thai driving.

It is more likely to be that if you have to spend all your time criticising other road users, you shouldn't  be on the road yourself.

So sorry Stirling

6 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

Crap...............facepalm.gif.240810632b9c65a985138551124a97a7.gif

I think the fact that it's the 2nd most dangerous nation in the world in which to drive speaks for itself....

Obviously there's a need for standards & enforcement.....

And that's not Thai - or farang bashing.....

3 hours ago, Anythingleft? said:

no logical conclusion

Sure there is. Turn left use left signal, turn right use right signal. Going straight (both or neither)  use both. Same in Indonesia. 

My question is why use hazards when reversing?  As cars already have a light to tell everyone the vehicle is in reverse!

Sure there is. Turn left use left signal, turn right use right signal. Going straight (both or neither)  use both. Same in Indonesia. 

My question is why use hazards when reversing?  As cars already have a light to tell everyone the vehicle is in reverse!

Taking one line from an earlier post then repeating how indicators are meant to be used doesn't really add up. If your words were true this post would not even be here

Quite easy really note what lights/direction indicators they are showing. Then totally ignore them and expect anything. Its easier to back away and give yourself plenty wriggle room.

5 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Hazard lights when reversing. Sometimes I do, especially if reversing out, say in a supermarket when you can't see if anything is coming. So it's out slowly with hazards flashing... It just seems the sensible thing to do. And I always put them on when I have passed the road junction that I need !!  :smile:

Reading some of these comments I wonder ... how long have you been driving here. This hazard light thing and going straight on ... makes me smile. 

TBH, I think some should have them on all the time ....

Edited by JAS21

It's fair to say that the driving standards here are poor at best and a high percentage of the time just plain stupid and dangerous

Bad drivers are a small minority here.

Lack of law enforcement means they can do what they want.

Most Thai drivers are absolutely fine.

Bad drivers are a small minority here.

Lack of law enforcement means they can do what they want.

Most Thai drivers are absolutely fine.

I disagree but thats my opinion, a lack of law enforcement doesnt justify most of the antics that you see on a daily basis that normally end in accidents and the pointless waste of human lives

50% of drivers here never use their indicators , ever, they must be worried about wearing out their light bulbs

Hazard warning lights i use regularly, especially in heavy traffic when being tailgated by the vehicle behind or when backing out of a parking spot

Drivers do not watch the road in front of them here and you need to attract their attention

Usually talking on their phone while driving

Regularly see traffic backups when someone is turning right, sometimes caused by not indicating soon enough or tailgating drivers not leaving enough room to change lanes safely

And its not only Thais who do this, i do not think a lot of farangs here ever passed a proper driving test or were taught to drive properly and safely