Visa advice for elderly relative.

I would appreciate some advice regarding visas and retirement extensions for my elderly mother presently based in the U.K. and looking to move to Thailand later this year.

Following the recent death of her partner and the lack of family in the U.K. we would like her to come and live with us in Thailand. She has visited us many times over the years and is delighted at the prospect of joining us in Thailand.

I have been living in Thailand for the past eleven years with my Thai wife on a married to Thai visa extension and I am therefore not totally familiar with the visa and retirement extension process that would apply to my mother.

I am listing below my understanding of the process and would be very grateful if anyone experienced in such matters could confirm if this is correct.

1)     Apply for a Non-Immigrant O Visa by post to The Royal Thai Embassy in London.

2)     On arrival in Thailand open a Thai bank account and deposit 800,000 Baht.**

3)     Once the above sum has been on deposit for two months, apply for a retirement extension at Jomtien Immigration.

** I am aware of the pension option but this will not be used on this occasion.

Questions;

A)    Should the Non-Immigrant O Visa be for a single or multi-entry?

B)     If the application for a retirement extension is made say two and a half months after arrival in Thailand (allowing time for the money seasoning), is the extension usually issued promptly as I am anxious to avoid my mum having to leave the country on some kind of visa run?

C)     I am assuming she can go directly from a Non Immigrant O Visa to a Retirement Extension?  

Many thanks in anticipation of your help.

1. Is she 65 or over and drawing a state pension? That is one of the requirement to get a single entry non-o visa in the UK. But she might be able to get one to visit you and your wife.

2/3 Correct.

** There is an option to combine the pension income with money in the bank to reach a total of 800k baht to consider. She could easily get a income letter by mail from the UK embassy. For example if she was getting the equivalent of 40k baht pension income she would only need 320k baht in the bank (plus some to cover exchange rate fluctuations).

A ) A single entry is all she would need.

B ) They are normally issued on the same day the application is done.

C ) Correct

• Like 1

Many thanks for the prompt reply.

She is over sixty five (by quite a bit!!!) but thankfully is in good health.

I was curious why the Thai Embassy in London would require a copy of her pension statements and I was going to suggest that she explained that she would not be using her pension to reach the 800,000 Baht requirement. However, after reading your reply I now realize that a state pension is a requirement to receive a non-o visa in the U.K. and all now makes sense.

I will relay a copy of your reply to my mum as I know she is getting a little stressed and confused with the visa situation (join the club!) and this will help put her mind at rest.

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated.

She would also appear to have the option to apply for non immigrant O-A visa if she has 800k equivalent in UK banks and this would provide one year stay on arrival.  It does require simple medical statement and police check however.

Other thing is medical - insurance may be an issue at her age and medical care here is not free even if using government facilities.

14 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

She would also appear to have the option to apply for non immigrant O-A visa if she has 800k equivalent in UK banks and this would provide one year stay on arrival.  It does require simple medical statement and police check however.

Other thing is medical - insurance may be an issue at her age and medical care here is not free even if using government facilities.

Many thanks for the additional information.

Would this type of visa require her to just report her address every ninety days or would she have to leave the country?

Yes, medical issues are a worry but at her age health insurance is unlikely to be available. Thankfully, the sale of her house in the U.K. will enable her to be self funding. Not an ideal situation I admit, but then leaving her alone in the U.K. is not an option we would consider. Fingers crossed she remains healthy and we are able to give her some fun times for as long as possible.

Yes it is a one year multi entry visa getting a new one year permitted to stay on any entry (so usable with an exit just before expiration date for almost a two year stay before local extensions of stay required).  During this time only 90 day reports and no need to have any fixed amount in a local account until a few months before doing extension of stay.

11 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Yes it is a one year multi entry visa getting a new one year permitted to stay on any entry (so usable with an exit just before expiration date for almost a two year stay before local extensions of stay required).  During this time only 90 day reports and no need to have any fixed amount in a local account until a few months before doing extension of stay.

Thanks for clarifying. Could be something to consider and I will relay the information.

Something has just come to light that could present a problem.

Is a single entry non-immigrant o visa only valid for ninety days and does the ninety days start from the date the visa is issued?

I was assuming that it would be valid for ninety days on arrival in Thailand but I suspect this is wrong.

The visa (to use) is valid for 90 days from issue.  The permitted to stay is 90 days from entry date.  Visa does not have to be valid to stay once you have permitted to stay stamp.

6 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

The visa (to use) is valid for 90 days from issue.  The permitted to stay is 90 days from entry date.  Visa does not have to be valid to stay once you have permitted to stay stamp.

Many thanks for the quick reply.

Just to make 100% certain I am understanding you correctly;

Once the visa is issued I can travel to Thailand at any time within the validity of the visa and even if I arrive in Thailand with say five days left remaining on my visa I will definitely get a permitted to stay stamp for ninety days?

If the answer to the above is yes, can I apply for a retirement extension at some time during the next ninety days even though my visa will have expired?

Yes and yes.  Normally application for extension is done during last 30 days of permitted entry but many allow up to 45 days early if you prefer.  Extension will start from end of current permitted stay.

Edited by lopburi3

13 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Yes and yes.  Normally application for extension is done during last 30 days of permitted entry but many allow up to 45 days early if you prefer.  Extension will start from end of current permitted stay.

Okay, that's great news. Knowing we will definitely have the ninety days permitted to stay should give us enough time to sort out all the financial stuff in time for the retirement extension application.

Many thanks for your help.