Prayut complains submarine briefing to the public 'too open' in providing details

webfact

Public: More transparency in military purchasing!

Prayut: Other countries don't make their budgeting details so public; so why should we?

Public: Stop suppressing our freedom of speech!  Other countries don't have such draconian censorship laws!

Prayut: Why should we care about what other countries do?  Tell them to mind their own business.

4 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

I wished Canada would have done his before buying 4 submarines from  Britain, as the subs are

just junk. They did not even sail from England to Canada, so be cautious Thailand and do not get

taken like Canada did.

Geezer

'They did not even sail from England to Canada'

Really? Check again Sunshine, they were delivered along with the Trainers albeit there then began a dispute over their condition. Not 'junk' but certainly, from reports of both sides, not fit for purpose due to deterioration. But then, if you float steel in salt water you get rust!

4 hours ago, Alexpho said:

Buying submarines from a potential adversary is also not too smart. Sure, China and Thailand are friendly towards each other for now. We see it at face value. Things can change real quick in the future. Who is the main antagonist in all of Asia and making retarded claims in all of South China Seas? I don't even buy a toaster thats made in China.

You are making the assumption that they actually want these for their stated purpose and not the generous kickbacks they have already got. Job done already I would think.

4 hours ago, klauskunkel said:

I googled this U-Boat type:

"Royal Thai Navy (RTN) formally selected China's Yuan-class (Type 041) platform to meet a requirement for three submarines. The RTN's procurement committee voted unanimously in favour of purchasing the submarine, which has been designated S26T (Thailand), a modified export version of the Yuan-class. As the 039A has very little resemblance to the 039 it is commonly referred to as the Type 041."

This means the Yuan S26T is actually a Yuan 039A, just renamed for export purposes.

Now, these are some comments on Yuan 039A:

"Yuan is a large conventional submarine, only marginally smaller than a Soryu-class boat—on the order of 15 percent smaller. Perhaps a better comparison would be with the PLAN’s (People’s Liberation Army Navy) other large conventional submarine, the Russian-built Project 636 Kilo. That comparison shows the Yuan comes out as being slightly bigger than a late model Kilo. Thus the Type 039 A/B Yuan is not a small submarine at all. It is one of the largest conventional combat submarines in the PLAN inventory, and is no more maneuverable in shallow water than other large conventional submarine designs, such as the Kilo or Soryu-classes. If a navy truly wishes to invest in a “coastal submarine,” or SSC, then it would look at submarines like the German Type 205 and 206, and the North Korean Sango, all of which come in at less than 500 tons submerged displacement."

So, the argument to use this sub as a shallow water sub has now been torpedoed. blub, blub, blub, blrrrp!

There have been many articles pointing out that the Yuan Class are designed to "go places"  and "power project" rather than just staying in littoral waters.

Why does everyone think that Thailand only wants to use them in the Gulf?

2012:

Indian Ocean Rising: - Stimson Center

May 2016:

USN, Royal Thai Navy conduct "most complex" anti-submarine ...

(In which the allegedly inactive Chakri Naruebet took part).

The Kra Isthmus canal would be for Thailand and its friends (whoever they might be) what the Kiel canal became for Germany after it was widened in the early 20th century.

And then there's the South China Sea,

Feb 2017:

Thailand and China: Brothers in arms- Nikkei Asian Review

"Thailand also has adopted positions that favor China when it comes to the South China Sea and the Mekong River region."

and

"Thailand will buy submarines "not for battle, but so that others will be in awe of us," Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha,"

waree.jpg.5569500e481d2f8bf9e07d3421c4f027.jpg

Edited by Enoon

5 hours ago, Alexpho said:

Buying submarines from a potential adversary is also not too smart. Sure, China and Thailand are friendly towards each other for now. We see it at face value. Things can change real quick in the future. Who is the main antagonist in all of Asia and making retarded claims in all of South China Seas? I don't even buy a toaster thats made in China.

Settle down Alex, it's not so bad. Seems to me Donald 'Duck' Trumpard is the biggest threat to world peace in Asia and beyond.  Don't believe everything the media tells you. You sound like my mate Ron who fought in New Guinea, 'wouldn't buy a car from the Japs' he reckons as he's watching the news on his Toshiba TV ha ha

Go on Kuhn Prayut, get that Chinese boat for your boyz!

Edited by Essaybloke
Sharpen my wit.

5 hours ago, Alexpho said:

The operation of three submarines will, IMHO not make one iota of difference on the outcome of a conflict between a 1.2 billion and a 60 million people state.

Also, the price seems ballpark. A Russian sub, according to Wiki, is about 450 million USD.

9 hours ago, ezzra said:

Yep, why should the public know anything about the government spending

billions of it's money? it's a privilege reserved for the elite only, the rest of

them tax payers are nothing but a stupid buffalos right?.....

yes and if this money is not spend on decent education they will be buffalloo always, spending money on boats that sink!!!! already showes education is from a very low level

11 hours ago, ezzra said:

Yep, why should the public know anything about the government spending

billions of it's money? it's a privilege reserved for the elite only, the rest of

them tax payers are nothing but a stupid buffalos right?.....

Well said, I agree with you 100%.

Canadas subs from England came to the country on Barges, and the one that tried to go under its own power

had a fire on board and had to be towed to Canada, That is why I call them all junk  as  they were unfit to be

sold. but Canada bought them anyway.

Geeze

On 5/3/2017 at 0:19 PM, tuktuktuk said:

I just hope they don't do any Thai style electric system modifications. 

2-phase connections in China as well - no matter if sonar goes out - the weaponry will still have 50% power :burp:

I do not have any qualms about buying 3 subs. Most other ASEAN nations have subs and all members of ASEAN are expected to pull their weight in terms of defence. Many anti Thai posters should consider this.

As to the need to buy this particular sub, not quite up to it is suggested, is best left to military analysts.

For me, buy the best, conventional Japanese subs. The best hunter/killer subs, though Germany may dispute this??? lol

On 5/3/2017 at 0:19 AM, realenglish1 said:

"No other country reveals their military hardware this much. Their qualifications shouldn’t be brought into the open air,” Prayut said after a Cabinet meeting."

How wrong you are great leader The USA talks openly about its capabilities and hardware they have Short of talking about torpedo evasive maneuvers.

As a matter of fact I was on a tour of one of the battle ships a few years back and they openly talked about a lot I asked the  tour guide why they

talked about he he said  " Oh we want the enemy to know what are capability is so they will think twice about an attack "

You are only worried about the public push back this stupid sub deal is creating

Your military and you want your toys regardless of how it hurst Thai society even though the public do not want a sub Its that simple

Yield to the wish of the public  ( They really do know best)

All true, plus there is ample reporting and debate about the need and cost of new weapon systems in the US.

On 5/2/2017 at 6:28 PM, webfact said:

“No other country reveals their military hardware this much. Their qualifications shouldn’t be brought into the open air,” Prayut said after a Cabinet meeting.

On 5/2/2017 at 6:55 PM, steven100 said:

agree ....  The media can be a pest some times .....    Khun Prayuth   :jap:

If that had been posted by anyone but you I would have assumed it was sarcasm.

On 5/3/2017 at 7:30 AM, darksidedog said:

That kind of suggests that we are not alone in believing that the PM is overly economic with the truth, and less than forthcoming with actual facts.

no one has addressed the fact that a high official queried the Chinese about adding retractable wheels or threads to facilitate port maintenance and travel while using a  SBOS  (sand bar avoidance system) in shallow waters .    

"To resolve public doubts, five high-ranking Navy officers on Monday went into detail about the technical advantages of the Chinese submarines over those from other countries, what the Chinese package would include, and the overall payment process.

[The public] shouldn’t simply assume the submarine to be of poor quality."

Well we know why products from China are cheap..... and it's not just cheap labour. Maybe it's structural integrity allows it to operate at a depth of only 100m

Technical advantages?

1. They float.

2.  They have a plow on the front making it easier to go through sand bars in shallow water.

3. The cash rebate was really good (Where shall we mail the check?).