Dwindling Options

27 minutes ago, helloagain said:

For the initial writer of this post it would help to know what is your country. Then we can offer help

My guess is that Swissie isn't from Canada, but that's just me, and I've been wrong before.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

West Indies - some "hostile islands" and unfriendly folks. Very expensive. Hurricanes and volcanos. East Africa - politics again. South Africa - same same. 

Hawaii/southern USA - quite costly. Medical can be a big problem. 

Mediterranean aint too warm in the winter. Canary Islands - very small, one is "trapped". Hear some good thing about Costa Rica and Nicaragua.

For us - food, people, medical, warm weather, good Internet - and some OK-ish TV - travel easy. On balance, Thailand maybe is the best "all round".

Only my opinion.....

48 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

It seems to me there is a big difference in contentment between people who choose to live in Pattaya and people who live upcountry. It is easy to imagine a strain on relationships when you live in Pattaya... I understand the illusion of ownership that appeals until you want to sell, and the excitement that would surely wane with the years... 

Living upcountry you are more immersed in the gentleness of the culture. I knew when I built my home that it was a gift to my wife and never considered it otherwise. 

But when people voice complaints about living in Thailand, I often wonder where they are located, as in my opinion, Pattaya barely resembles Thailand and also their economic situation. Surely, I sympathize with those who feel trapped here, but wouldn't they be economically trapped anywhere? 

So, OP,  yes, I agree that most people are better off here, and often times, if they suffer mistakes, it is of their own doing. 

Spot on Ken re Pattaya and dare I say place like Phuket - not the real Thailand. They are primarily seaside resorts like everywhere else on the planet but unlike many have pretty good climates and 'other benefits' I don't need to elaborate on here! 

During October and into November last year my Thai partner (now my husband) and I spent nearly a month in Vietnam, necessitated in order to fulfill the UK's SSM rules as we were getting married in the British Embassy in Hanoi. We also stayed in Ho Chi Minh City and Da Nang. I have to say as regards infrastructure (roads, wifi, post, banks, health), dining out, farang groceries and culturally we found Vietnam way behind Thailand.

In December we spent nearly 2 weeks in Phnom Penh and Siem Reap and much like Vietnam found Cambodia had a way to go in matching Thailand for similar reasons.

This is just my personal observation for what it's worth!

45 minutes ago, Naam said:

what visa hoops pray tell? 800k in the bank 15 years ago, 800k now. no change at all.

Oh. please, exit and re-entry stamps,  90-day reports, pictures of you and your wife, maps to your home, questionnaires on what social media you use and where you spend you time, etc.  I do not jump through hoops well.

I see no point in selling investments to have B800k in Thailand. The only money I have in Thailand is what I have just withdrawn from an ATM. So, I use the income method. I now have to show money filtering through a Thai bank in addition to an income statement from my embassy.

In many countries you simply pay a fee and get a year visa-end of problem. In others, like the Philippines, just being married to a local gives an automatic vise free.

1 minute ago, smotherb said:

Oh. please, exit and re-entry stamps,  90-day reports, pictures of you and your wife, maps to your home, questionnaires on what social media you use and where you spend you time, etc. 

exit- and reentry regulations as well as 90 day reports existed always. those on marriage visas should not blame the authorities because verifications are demanded but those who caused the problems with fake/nominee marriages.

56 minutes ago, Naam said:

what visa hoops pray tell? 800k in the bank 15 years ago, 800k now. no change at all.

I love all the bitching and moaning about how the rules change when actually for retirement there has been no changes in years. Yes you do get local offices adding there interpertation to the rules but hopefully people can figure out how to get around that

1 hour ago, williamgeorgeallen said:

after 10 years of living in thailand i have never felt unsafe.  the visa situation is very good for over 50 year olds. the climate is good as i like it warm. thailand stacks up pretty well. the major down side i see is keeping occupied. i see people doing silly things like opening bars because they are bored.

I've been here 10 years as well and enjoy my life here.. I've been going back to OZ each year for 2 or 3 months (I keep a camper van there).. but now I am happy to stay here... yes.. I think you are right that the key to happiness here is keeping yourself occupied.. but that is probably true anywhere..  For myself my long interest in photography and culture provides an ongoing interest.. as does reading.. a bit of carpentry and projects around the house and garden fulfills my need to do things.. having said that.. it doesn't take much to keep me busy these days!  I did rental for a few years and am very happy to have my own place now where I have a garden and can change things if I want..  I'm a family man and enjoy my extended Thai family...   Life in a rental with TV & beer would kill me I think... 

12 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Oh. please, exit and re-entry stamps,  90-day reports, pictures of you and your wife, maps to your home, questionnaires on what social media you use and where you spend you time, etc.  I do not jump through hoops well.

I see no point in selling investments to have B800k in Thailand. The only money I have in Thailand is what I have just withdrawn from an ATM. So, I use the income method. I now have to show money filtering through a Thai bank in addition to an income statement from my embassy.

In many countries you simply pay a fee and get a year visa-end of problem. In others, like the Philippines, just being married to a local gives an automatic vise free.

I have to ask why are you still here if it is so much better else where. No place we live will ever be perfect, it is up to the person to adjust. 

2 minutes ago, moe666 said:

I have to ask why are you still here if it is so much better else where. No place we live will ever be perfect, it is up to the person to adjust. 

Climate

Food

Women

I agree with him. The visa rules are silly.

The Op listed the points that most matter for him, and many other expats here, in the decision making process for a suitable retirement destination.

Some of the first responders brought their own personal situations (failures?)  into their reasons for advising different courses of action.  Relationship failures, difficulty selling property and a need to return to home countries for parts of the year were listed as important considerations in selecting a retirement country.

I would suggest these things are personal and don't apply to most expats, and weren't part of the OP's question.

To address the main points:

Political stability--Not a stable country politically, but if you are able to ignore the idiocy of it all, you can live here with very little interference from government.  The thought of a possible nuclear shooting match up the road concerns me some, and I would want to be back in Oz if that happens, but can't factor that in at this stage.
Infrastructure (including health services)-- Generally better than many of the alternative retirement places, but there are some major problems, particularly where I live, related to factional corruption. However,  the health services here are excellent and relatively cheap for the self insured.
Climate-- I come from a country with a mediterranean type climate where summers were hot and dry and winters wet and cold. I quite like the tropical conditions here. If you can adapt to the humidity, there are many things to enjoy, such as swimming all year round and light, casual clothing options at all times.
Personal safety-- I think there are a couple of places where your safety is threatened in Thailand. The roads, where fools and psychopaths are given easy access to weapons of mass destruction (vehicles)  and allowed to rampage with relative impunity. Road rage involving face is a big thing!  In your home, where drugged up criminals think of foreigners as an easy mark and are likely to enter at night looking for valuables. (Thinking about it, just like the home country really!)  Corruption is rife through all sections of society here, but it generally works out cheaper than other systems I've lived with.  And the ire of a Thai woman is always a present danger.

If you take reasonable precautions to keep yourself out of harms way in these situations, crime is much less likely to happen to you here than almost anywhere else, including Australia

Visa situation-  I do complain about the hoops individual officers and offices make you jump through every year, but overall it's actually cheap and simple. I've just gained another year's stay for 1900 baht and it took about 15 minutes. The money in the bank is forced savings.

Cost of living- Some posters like to point out they can get a cheaper beer or lettuce, or whatever, in their home country, but I know, that when considering every part of living, Thailand costs about 1/3 of what I would pay for the same back home.

If you are on a British Government Pension then you may consider the Philippines because your pension will go up each year, unlike elsewhere in Asean. But who knows what devilish things they will get up to after Brexit.

For me, and most of my expat friends, it's the wonderful Thai people  that keep us here. Their smiles and helpfulness  always cheer me up. My Thai friends are always glad to help me if I have any  problems. But I should also add that for many others, it's the only place in the world where an ugly old man can find attractive female company

Thailand is one of the few places where one can live with a modest income and feel relative safe and comfortable.With a bit more money The Malaysian Highlands or Vietnam Highlands are great areas.The coast of Portugal or some of the small Greek islands..If you have the money then there are lots of great areas all over the world. Of course Thailand,Cambodia,and Laos seem to collect all the low income bums here in SEA and the cost of living here is going up a lot.

Tried out the Phillipines for a month last year,was okay,trouble is where i live Wichianburi in Petchabun  province i have been here 5 years have a lot of friends,know a lot of the locals,and even though my girlfriend[see my other op] is a brainless tightwad ,she is not a bad person,so at 52,i have moved from uk to Australia,in 1996,to Thailand in 2012,i really could not deal with another massive move. It feels like home now,though i do think next year i will go away from march to early june as i do not like the extreme heat.

I have been living in Chiang Mai for 15 years now and moved here from a great place, Austin, Texas.    I am truly grateful for all that CM has to offer including much greater affordability than BKK or Pattaya or the islands.   Also, I enjoy the very conscious, intelligent folks who move here from all over the world.    Good movie theaters, great restaurants serving organic foods in many, access to coconuts easily (a huge issue for me), good swimming pools using salt instead of chlorine, great hot springs nearby, lots of wonderful outdoor areas to hike or just get away, wonderful yoga studios, a lovely place to swim named, Grand Canyon, south on Canal Rd. towards Hang Dong, great alternative health options like acupuncture and chiropractor available and easy access to other countries.    Also, I have a lovely partner from the USA  to enjoy with.     Be grateful to live here!

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Me too,  my 2 bahts worth.

1. Political stability - ...Yeah not bothered much, better with Army in charge though IMO.
2. Infrastructure.- ...OK but too much going on at the same time.

3. Health services -... Excellent Gov hospital where l live,   have Thai health insurance now too. 
4. Climate - ...OK a bit hot this time of year but l've acclimatized fairly well,  don't like the cold and damp.
5. Personal safety - ...Never felt threatened here seen enough in other countries worse.
6. Visa situation -..Maesot was always OK but the journey could be a pain but immigration 15 mins away now.
7. Cost of living - ..Fraction of what it was in UK for me even 12 years on.

Also interested in your Thai health insurance.

40 minutes ago, Goldbear said:

Thailand is hard to beat for the money. 

True, but that differential seems to be eroding away as globalization equalizes the cost of lots of things that used to have no export market.  Nowadays, they can send that mango to China instead of selling it for next to nothing at the market.    

I continue to be surprised at the high prices for some indigenous fruits (and meats and seafood) that I'd always heard were going to be very cheap in Thailand.

Edit: And rent seems cheap, but the $$$ they're asking for land in the boondocks (never mind close-in) seems stupid- completely detached from the value of any income that can be derived from it other than sitting on it and waiting for it to go up in price.

Edited by impulse

2 hours ago, F4UCorsair said:

I presume you have checked the International Living site?   If so, this link is redundant, 

https://internationalliving.com/countries/nicaragua/retire-in-nicaragua/

Central America does seem to offer some options though, and of course there are Spain and Portugal??

Does the cost of living have to be the same or less than Thailand, or can you up your budget, and still have enough dosh?

Good luck

That website is pretty biased towards places they sell property. Some fair info if you understand what they are pushing. But I wouldn't rely on it.

We were in Nicaragua several years ago. It's a no go for many reasons.

For me,  I'm getting tired of the hot weather. Thailand is fantastic from November or so until the end of March or so. We're back to leaving for around 4 months every year. No place in particular. Currently in Cyprus and it is lovely. Restaurants galore, cheap wine and beer and groceries.  great deals via  AirBnB. Very good public transport also. Wouldn't want to live here full time,  but for a bit,  it's  great . Lovely places to walk also!

Interesting thread.

27 minutes ago, marko kok prong said:

Tried out the Phillipines for a month last year,was okay,trouble is where i live Wichianburi in Petchabun  province i have been here 5 years have a lot of friends,know a lot of the locals,and even though my girlfriend[see my other op] is a brainless tightwad ,she is not a bad person,so at 52,i have moved from uk to Australia,in 1996,to Thailand in 2012,i really could not deal with another massive move. It feels like home now,though i do think next year i will go away from march to early june as i do not like the extreme heat.

I was in WichianBuri for a short while. Problem with the place was the heat for me. I don't like to live in a/c all the time. Had a lovely lady there, and was surprised to hear there are around 250 farang living around the area. Very much a farming community. I was surprised by the lack of upscale eating places etc, but it is farming there. For me the best thing about the place was the lady I was involved with......but that ended.

29 minutes ago, marko kok prong said:

He must mean government health coverage you can get being married to a Thai government nurse or teacher or similar.   They can retire after 25 yrs service and at age 50.  

Sone retirement site rated Panama #1 last year

I think the posts sum it up well; don't buy property and leave for a while each year. We were all fired up on arrival and ready to buy a lovely Balinese 2 bed pool villa for 6 (already down from 9!) but sanity prevailed albeit we lost a 100k deposit we'd paid the agent... We live in a 1 bed/living room self catering small hotel in Rawai that also wouldn't suit all tastes for long periods, but for the rental we pay we could stay here for around 25 years for the same price as the villa. Considering we're in our late 60s, I think we made the right decision! 

We'll hit the 800 000 make or break point next Feb, and I'm leaning towards laughing off the OA, go out for a few months and then come back on the 60 + 30 extension then out again, and so on. A bit expensive, but somehow I feel safer (and wealthier!) not bring in 1.6 mill (we're not married) and I'm giving us the opportunity for 'living the dream' elsewhere for a while - we've always fancied a year on a narrow boat - who knows? Mentally, you're always more relaxed when you know there's a back door.....

The shine has worn off Thailand for me as well, but I was under no illusions when we moved here full-time, so I don't feel like I led astray by some romantic delusion of Thailand. 

Agree with time out of Thailand being a good antidote for the doldrums.  We did long road trips and flew around to other places the first 2-3 years here.  I've seen enough Thai villages, cities and beaches.  Temples/ruins don't do it for me either.   When we've taken 2 month sabbaticals to the US and return here, I'm refreshed, and enjoy some of the little things again.  Bit like a water tank.  Trips abroad refill the tank, but as the years wear on, each time we return, a bit less full than the last time. 

4 minutes ago, Elkski said:

He must mean government health coverage you can get being married to a Thai government nurse or teacher or similar.   They can retire after 25 yrs service and at age 50.  

Sone retirement site rated Panama #1 last year

I think it was AARP that recommend a town in Panama as its #1 choice. So, went to check it out.  No way. Middle of nowhere. Dog poop on the sidewalks.  Only one small grocery store.  We planned to spend a few days there,  but got back on a bus and left.  Panama city has many issues also. 

JT will probably be by shortly. I think he was looking at Ecuador. My recommendation is to go check the place out. Nothing like experiencing it first hand. Preferably as an expat. Things change considerably when you live somewhere full time versus just a week or so. 

I've been to 92 countries so far.  Still haven't found the perfect one! 5555. In Malta tomorrow,  but it's not an option now due to visa changes.

4 minutes ago, Bogbrush said:

I think the posts sum it up well; don't buy property and leave for a while each year.

This is a common post and obviously a lot think that you should never buy property here. For me I could never call rented accommodation home, I want to have my own things around me, built to how I want them, not something that has been put together for the rental market, if you are not happy in your own "home" your not going to feel settled IMO.

3 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

I think it was AARP that recommend a town in Panama as its #1 choice. So, went to check it out.  No way. Middle of nowhere. Dog poop on the sidewalks.  Only one small grocery store.  We planned to spend a few days there,  but got back on a bus and left.  Panama city has many issues also. 

JT will probably be by shortly. I think he was looking at Ecuador. My recommendation is to go check the place out. Nothing like experiencing it first hand. Preferably as an expat. Things change considerably when you live somewhere full time versus just a week or so. 

I've been to 92 countries so far.  Still haven't found the perfect one! 5555. In Malta tomorrow,  but it's not an option now due to visa changes.

Have you checked out Spain? What did you think (briefly)?