Thai Admiral behind the submarine deal defends need for 'dream weapon'

In 1937, it bought four vessels from the Empire of Japan, then a growing military power. They were decommissioned in 1951 after the navy tried – and failed – to topple the army-led government.

Ah! They want a rematch. Now it makes sense.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, Hereinthailand said:

Whats the big deal about them buying subs ??? Its not like any money is coming out of us foreigners pockets. If they want to spend the money its theirs to spend on anything they want. The thai people wanted this gov. and guess what ? they got exactly what they deserve because they dont seem to be able to do anything themselves.

The big deal is the money could be better spent else where like on education or health , then the junta could turn around to the people and say look what we did, we improved your quality of life , the only thing they've done here is improved their quality of life, well at least the admiral without a sub has, even the Thai's a bitching about this effort,  so some  R waking up to the Junta's tricks..............................:coffee1:.

31 minutes ago, sanukjim said:

OK lets let the Navy have their submarine as this is the way for them to pocket several billion baht between their Admarials and their staff. The Air Force got their billions from the new airplane buys a few years ago and the Army did very well receiving their billions from those tanks and trucks deals. It is the Navy's time ,but of course the top guy and his boys will not go empty handed.

I am not surprised that an Admiral of Submarines should be arguing the case for his own speciality, that's only to be expected.

And I accept the principle (here in the real world), that the Navy needs its share of the pork-barrel, the recent major-expansion of the terminal-buildings at Sattahip (Utapao) International Airport or recently-delivered patrol-boats aren't enough.

But I myself would still like to see the money spent in a potentially-useful way, on further patrol-boats or frigates with depth-charges perhaps, or on anti-submarine warfare such as helicopters with dipping-sonar, or on surveillance-drones.  Thailand is still not a rich country, it cannot afford waste.

There are better ways to give the RTN a share of the cake than a handful of submarines, financed over a decade or more, which were useless in December-1941 and would still IMO be useless this time round, against wherever the modern-day threat is perceived to come from.  I do wish they'd spell that out, by the way, is it China or ASEAN who they are planning to defend Thailand against ?

I'd like to see the neighbouring countries awed, by Thailand getting something useful, for a change ! :wink:

The so called S26T submarine does not exist.  They are buying a 'modified' (how/what with we don't know) Yuan Type 39 Submarine derived from an old version of the Kilo class sold to China by Russia eons ago.

The Type 39 Yuan is now believed to be larger, rather than smaller, than the Kilo which is not suitable for shallow water Ops.

Should also be noted that the West work on the factor that to keep one type of any vessel at sea at any one time (eg Trident) you need four!  At least one could be in full refit (years) while one is undergoing a routine maintenance period (months), one is working up/down toward/from refit/maintenance/emergency problem (weeks) and one at sea.  It should also be remembered that is a 'Two sided Navy', not an Island navy like the UK/Aus.  They would be much better buying MPAs which can easily cover both coasts.

At best they can be described as a 'Fleet in being' and can only work as a possible deterrent with no actual military value out with that 'Fleet in being' concept.

Another Collins class fiasco in the making.

Edited by scottiejohn

1 hour ago, Hereinthailand said:

The thai people wanted this gov. and guess what ? they got exactly what they deserve because they dont seem to be able to do anything themselves.

It's a Military 'Government' as a result of the 'Military Coup' headed by the then Head of the Military.

The Thai people were not asked directly.

There was trouble on the streets but it was NOT solved by a vote of the Thai people.

Lets stay on subject (sic)

Money well spent dont you think? At Least the Chinese think that Scratching my head here What country would have an admiral of a sub force when you have no subs  My god  Be like ok you can be a General of of no troops Eyes are rolling in my head here

1 hour ago, scottiejohn said:

The so called S26T submarine does not exist.  They are buying a 'modified' (how/what with we don't know) Yuan Type 39 Submarine derived from an old version of the Kilo class sold to China by Russia eons ago.

The Type 39 Yuan is now believed to be larger, rather than smaller, than the Kilo which is not suitable for shallow water Ops.

Should also be noted that the West work on the factor that to keep one type of any vessel at sea at any one time (eg Trident) you need four!  At least one could be in full refit (years) while one is undergoing a routine maintenance period (months), one is working up/down toward/from refit/maintenance/emergency problem (weeks) and one at sea.  It should also be remembered that is a 'Two sided Navy', not an Island navy like the UK/Aus.  They would be much better buying MPAs which can easily cover both coasts.

At best they can be described as a 'Fleet in being' and can only work as a possible deterrent with no actual military value out with that 'Fleet in being' concept.

Another Collins class fiasco in the making.

Hope not another Collins class fiasco Do you know how much that cost the Aussie taxpayer? I dont Did they ever make it into the water? I think they had motor trouble They leaked you name it No heads ever rolled on that one

Thailand sure does it right.  They appoint an Admiral in charge of a non-existent fleet of submarines.  They have now built a submarine base and sub training facility at the Sattahip Naval Base, but don't have any subs.  The next logical step would be to train officers and enlisted men to man submarines they don't have.   When they finally get the subs, and they will, the crews will need to be re-trained, the base will need a complete refurbishment, and the Admiral will have retired and passed away from natural causes. 

Edited by 55Jay

31 minutes ago, Happyman58 said:

Hope not another Collins class fiasco Do you know how much that cost the Aussie taxpayer? I dont Did they ever make it into the water? I think they had motor trouble They leaked you name it No heads ever rolled on that one

The Collins submarine design did not exist, same as this procurement.

The Oz Gov bought a submarine that did not exist from a modified! Swedish submarine  design, bought a mismatch combat system that did not exist from Rockwell in its total package in a shipyard in Oz that did not exist.

And the OZ government are doing it again with the French Modified/remodified 'Scorpiene'! which again does not exist.

The Collins did go to sea, but not very often.

Same as the Canadian 'Upholder' Class which they bought from the UK - an even bigger joke.

2 hours ago, anotheruser said:

There is nothing wrong with it at all. As I said in the other thread it is better for them to squander it on this than do something even more moronic. That kind of money is dangerous in the wrong hands. If they want a sub to sit next to their carrier let them do it. 

They don't have the money......do you think nothing has been squirreled away over the past 3 years?

1 minute ago, scottiejohn said:

The Collins submarine design did not exist, same as this procurement.

The Oz Gov bought a submarine that did not exist from a modified! Swedish submarine  design, bought a mismatch combat system that did not exist from Rockwell in its total package in a shipyard in Oz that did not exist.

And the OZ government are doing it again with the French Modified/remodified 'Scorpiene'! which again does not exist.

The Collins did go to sea, but not very often.

Same as the Canadian 'Upholder' Class which they bought from the UK - an even bigger joke.

What did the submarine building division at Pelican Point in SA build then?

8 minutes ago, ChrisY1 said:

They don't have the money......do you think nothing has been squirreled away over the past 3 years?

If purchasing this makes sure the kind of minds involved will never get any money it's a good result. 

From what I've read Australia can't get enough people to crew their subs so they don't have enough of a crew compliment now without buying new subs. As an aside do the UK & US sell subs as they seem to have the best in the world and I don't remember seeing press announcements about export sales?.

2 hours ago, 55Jay said:

Thailand sure does it right.  They appoint an Admiral in charge of a non-existent fleet of submarines.  They have now built a submarine base and sub training facility at the Sattahip Naval Base, but don't have any subs.  The next logical step would be to train officers and enlisted men to man submarines they don't have.   When they finally get the subs, and they will, the crews will need to be re-trained, the base will need a complete refurbishment, and the Admiral will have retired and passed away from natural causes. 

and then they will find out that 80% of the crew is actually claustrophobic...

If you ask me the idea of an admiral submarine chief commanding nothing but a fleet of staff cars and golf carts for seven years is even funnier than trying to justify the expense of these new subs!  And I'll bet he's got a COS and a building full of staff officers, secretaries, drivers, etc..  I wonder where he hangs out when the actual fleet passes in review...

1 minute ago, hawker9000 said:

If you ask me the idea of an admiral submarine chief commanding nothing but a fleet of staff cars and golf carts for seven years is even funnier than trying to justify the expense of these new subs!  And I'll bet he's got a COS and a building full of staff officers, secretaries, drivers, etc..  I wonder where he hangs out when the actual fleet passes in review...

It just shows how many years of planning they have put into this. This is visionary stuff and they wouldn't compromise the strength of the fleet by just plucking some rank amateur off the streets.

This is the real deal. The pride of the gulf of Thailand.

5 hours ago, Hereinthailand said:

The thai people wanted this gov. and guess what ? they got exactly what they deserve because they dont seem to be able to do anything themselves.

You came here after spring 2014 right? This government was voted in by guns commanded by a few and not by the Thai people. Try reading more and look behind the smoke and mirrors.  A statement like this one let the poster looks like a fool.

1 hour ago, sandrabbit said:

As an aside do the UK & US sell subs as they seem to have the best in the world and I don't remember seeing press announcements about export sales?.

The US & UK do not have or build conventional (non-nuke) Subs.

1 hour ago, sandrabbit said:

From what I've read Australia can't get enough people to crew their subs so they don't have enough of a crew compliment now without buying new subs

That is a "Catch 22" situation for both the Oz and Canadian Submarine forces.  They do not have operational subs therefore they cannot train therefore they cannot recruit because there is no promotion/prospects etc.

5 hours ago, Hereinthailand said:

Whats the big deal about them buying subs ??? Its not like any money is coming out of us foreigners pockets. If they want to spend the money its theirs to spend on anything they want. The thai people wanted this gov. and guess what ? they got exactly what they deserve because they dont seem to be able to do anything themselves.

Wrong on every point.  The money for the subs, and a great deal of additional military expenditure, would be better spent on schools and infrastructure.  Most of the foreigners posting here care what happens to the Thai people.  The money belongs to the Thai people, not the admirals and generals.  The Thai people didn't choose this government and won't be given a chance to choose another one.  Nobody deserves this government.

37 minutes ago, hawker9000 said:

Probably checks into a bunk on the aircraft carrier...