Multiple personality syndrome

Back home in oz I drive normally. Signal, let cars into my lane, stop at red lights, give way to pedestrians etc. But in LOS I can't help but close gaps so no one cuts me off, not give way unless its impossible, no signaling etc. I feel challenged by other drivers aggressive conduct. Why?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

In Australia you were taught to drive properly and had to pass a real driving test to get your license.

Not here, its Rafferty's rules  and 40% of people drive without a license anyway.

Makes life interesting when driving and certainly keeps you on your toes

My wife is the same while I can't be bothered to get worked up about it.  My view is, go as fast as the flow, a bit faster if I can, don't worry when it gets crowded, just make sure something is on the radio (via internet radio) to keep me entertained. I can't stand riding as passenger when she is driving though, becomes evil!

She is not Thai, but from a neighboring country with no better etiquette on the road!

Edited by jmccarty
added info

Your hormones are still kicking in and the Tarzan part of you is not dead. Life now is to treat aggression with aggression no matter what. Dial yourself back a bit and go back to the way you drove in OZ. You might live longer I sincerely mean this as you sound like a nice guy straying off the path of niceness just a wee bit. 

On 5/7/2017 at 8:04 AM, madmax2 said:

In Australia you were taught to drive properly and had to pass a real driving test to get your license.

Not here, its Rafferty's rules  and 40% of people drive without a license anyway.

Yes watch your toes by all means. NCO something or other had his run over. Yes keep on your toes you cannot walk on your nose. 

Your hormones are still kicking in and the Tarzan part of you is not dead. Life now is to treat aggression with aggression no matter what. Dial yourself back a bit and go back to the way you drove in OZ. You might live longer I sincerely mean this as you sound like a nice guy straying off the path of niceness just a wee bit. 

Fairly accurate observation. What I find difficult to accept is when for example driver has decided to change lanes and whether I choose to let him or not is apparently irrelevant to him. Hang on I say, I have a say in that too........guess what my decision is not to let you in. You think u can take me on? In your dreams I say. And hence the assholeness!!!!(on both sides) begins

2 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Yes watch your toes by all means. NCO something or other had his run over. Yes keep on your toes you cannot walk on your nose. 

elgordo38 that master of multiple personalities, mr Burns, Boris Johnson, who else i wonder.:cheesy:

1 minute ago, sir charles IV said:

Fairly accurate observation. What I find difficult to accept is when for example driver has decided to change lanes and whether I choose to let him or not is apparently irrelevant to him. Hang on I say, I have a say in that too........guess what my decision is not to let you in. You think u can take me on? In your dreams I say. And hence the assholeness!!!!(on both sides) begins

Quit beating up on yourself you softie you know you would let him in. 

1 minute ago, colinneil said:

elgordo38 that master of multiple personalities, mr Burns, Boris Johnson, who else i wonder.:cheesy:

Its a bit of a tosser sorry tossup between Donald Trump oops sorry been him before and Mr. Duterte from the Philippines. There are just so many misguided politicos to choose from world wide its a challenge. 

11 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Its a bit of a tosser sorry tossup between Donald Trump oops sorry been him before and Mr. Duterte from the Philippines. There are just so many misguided politicos to choose from world wide its a challenge. 

You all just wish you had an angels singing voice like me and are frustrated....I can understand that stuff.......BUT, my lessons are cheap, Weegee can now sing .......

31 minutes ago, transam said:

You all just wish you had an angels singing voice like me and are frustrated....I can understand that stuff.......BUT, my lessons are cheap, Weegee can now sing .......

Your hired to sing in my wake. I will PM when the time comes. 

On 06/05/2017 at 6:29 PM, sirineou said:

Some times people are more kind to their own than they are to others

or maybe a bit of

When in Rome do as the Romans do

And.......drive politely and get no where....in LOS

46 minutes ago, sir charles IV said:

Happy to report that I usually beat them. I used to teach pro driving skills to corporates. When I see idiotic driving "I gotta teach him a lesson" kicks in.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Wait that he teaches you with his gun and come again to explain us.

37 minutes ago, sir charles IV said:

Happy to report that I usually beat them. I used to teach pro driving skills to corporates. When I see idiotic driving "I gotta teach him a lesson" kicks in.

Self-defeating. Reminds me of that famous "I never give way to a rascal." I'll go with the repartee, "I always do."

Seems you're unaccustomed to Thai driving habits. So you've discovered they ain't the same as back home. More is predictable than you might think, though. Like muscling into "your space" is common and expected; you can do the same. Note that Thais generally don't get upset by their own habits. (Obviously I'm not talking about the kamikazes.) So after a time you get used to them as the new normal. Or should, if you want to avoid high blood pressure. ;) Here in Thailand I find that percentage-wise, relative to the numbers, the farang drive worse, partly because they're not used to the environment and are unsure of themselves, for example, hesitate when Thais don't expect hesitation.

4 hours ago, jmccarty said:

My wife is the same while I can't be bothered to get worked up about it.  My view is, go as fast as the flow, a bit faster if I can, don't worry when it gets crowded, just make sure something is on the radio (via internet radio) to keep me entertained. I can't stand riding as passenger when she is driving though, becomes evil!

She is not Thai, but from a neighboring country with no better etiquette on the road!

Same for me. My wife is Thai and admits to "self-teaching"

Now I ride in the backseat, keep my head down and read thaivisa forum.

Get used to it, and revisit your defensive driving skills. If you are going to get angry every time you experience something idiotic in Thai traffic, you'll be in that state permanently.

On 5/7/2017 at 8:04 AM, madmax2 said:

madmax2 nails it.  :thumbsup:

Also Thais suffer from a Dr. Jekyll / Mr. Hyde complex.  Outside of the car they are all smiles and wais; inside a car and behind the wheel, especially with dark windows and a status logo like 'Benz', and suddenly Mr. Hyde appears!!!!  And if you do something that ticks them off, they turn from Mr. Hyde to The Incredible Hulk in a nanosecond.  

So with all the Mr. Hydes on the road ready to go Green and Hulky on you, it's best you use your advanced and well-honed driving skills to avoid them, and to maintain your own inner calm, because those driving around your are not quite sane once inside and controlling a vehicle.
Hang loose!  :cool: 

The OP needs to understand that the roads and populace of Oz have changed considerably since he upped and left in 1959.

I Wonder if he realises Bob Menzies has died and the Sydney Opera house has been built

Edited by Fulwell53

17 hours ago, sir charles IV said:

'In your dreams I say'...ye gods

Clint Eastwood meets fast and furious

It seems like Thais do not know where they are going, before getting into their vehicle.

They decide once on the move or change their mind at the last minute.

This can only explain why they sit stationary on the right hand lane, ready to turn right at the lights, before suddenly pulling out across 2 lanes & then turning left. Why wait to turn right & then suddenly go in the opposite direction?

Or when they overtake before pulling straight in front of you, making your brake and then indicating and turning left.