'Good Samaritan' celeb turns out to be deadly car crash suspect

webfact

8 hours ago, pentap said:

What is it with the constant offering of money to victims, family members!

Disgusting behaviour in my opinion.

Money would never bring back any friend or member of my family, who thankfully are all still alive.

Money seems to be the magic cure for everything here.

Crazy!

But not, it seems, disgusting in the eyes of those to whom the money is offered or those doing the offering, ie the individual members of the indigenous population of Thailand.

Do you think that these people (in whose midst you have planted yourself) may have their own cultural/social traditions and solutions that have nothing to do with those of the society that bred you?

That cannot be, surely the world is now one of homogenised, mono cultural, uni-marketed, Westerner  approved, youness?

Edited by Enoon

DJ may not have a licence and he may not be insured but when I watch the video

it appears he is also not at fault. Pick on the rich guy in the car so someone can

pay the hospital bills and money for the mother. Maybe she should have raised him

using a little more discipline and he would not have been a motorcycle street racer.

Just before the accident a car goes through the intersection at speed in one direction (say direction A) and immediately after that The Lexus goes through the intersection in the opposite direction (B) at speed. And before the Lexus can clear the intersection the motorcycle popped out in front of him out of a pack of bikes from his left (direction C).

One thing is for sure, someone jumped a red light. 

It is clear from the video that the Lexus had no chance to avoid the motorcycle, It is not clear  who had the right of way or if the Lexus was speeding.

I can't count the number of times irresponsible motorcyclists have suddenly darted into the path of my car without even a glance. Luckily I am on constant alert for such stupid behavior and so far have not injured one of these idiots. It is not just teenage racers but even whole families on a one motorbike! They seem understand that they always are in the right and anyone that injures them must pay up. 

On 5/5/2017 at 1:24 PM, webfact said:

The radio DJ who plays music on EFM 104.5 radio channel or Mr Chavalit Srimankongtham, is now charged with reckless driving that caused death and damage to other, driving with no driving licence, and has no third-party insurance coverage.

If a celeb is driving around in this manner I guess there is not much hope for the average Thai to be within the boundary of the law. 

• 2 months later...
On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 3:09 PM, halloween said:

Not having seen the video, and relying on your report, if the motorcycle pulled in front of the car at speed and was then hit, doesn't that mean the car was moving faster? If a car is moving faster than an alleged racing motorcycle, how is the unlicensed and uninsured driver absolved of all blame?

Well yes, of course the car was moving faster than the motorbike. Doesn't mean the car was speeding or breaking any laws, just travelling in a straight line in its own lane. The bike just pulled in front of the car without looking, the bike was going slower than the car.  There is video footage now available on this thread showing how the accident happened.

On ‎5‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 3:09 PM, halloween said:

Not having seen the video, and relying on your report, if the motorcycle pulled in front of the car at speed and was then hit, doesn't that mean the car was moving faster? If a car is moving faster than an alleged racing motorcycle, how is the unlicensed and uninsured driver absolved of all blame?

Well yes, of course the car was moving faster than the motorbike. Doesn't mean the car was speeding or breaking any laws, just travelling in a straight line in its own lane. The bike just pulled in front of the car without looking, the bike was going slower than the car.  There is video footage now available on this thread showing how the accident happened.

On 05/05/2017 at 1:39 PM, darksidedog said:

I will let the courts judge upon him, but at least he stopped to try to render some sort of assistance. That is more than a lot of the locals do when they see or are involved with a crash.

Very late to join this thread but to be honest if I see an accident I will be more likely to drive on past and not get involved.

For obvious reasons.

On 06/05/2017 at 4:48 AM, Ulic said:

it appears he is also not at fault. Pick on the rich guy in the car so someone can

pay the hospital bills and money for the mother. Maybe she should have raised him

using a little more discipline and he would not have been a motorcycle street racer.

No licence no insurance. He shouldn't have been there in the first place.

On 5/5/2017 at 1:33 PM, rkidlad said:

It's really scary how entitled and abhorrent some of the upper echelons here can be. A complete disconnect with the average Joe. 

'Upper echelons'? He's a DJ for Cheerist's sake. Why does everyone run off crying hi-so all the time when minor 'celebs' do something?

Edited by Psimbo

On 5/6/2017 at 4:48 AM, Ulic said:

Yes he is- he should not be on the road if he doesn't have a licence.

In most countries that would void any insurance. 

One solution would be not to sell a car to anyone without a valid driving licence ( not that that means much!). They would then be responsible/liable to charges if anyone without a licence subsequently drove the vehicle.

After viewing the video it is my opinion that If this DJ guy had been insured and had a licence he could have told the complete truth about what happened and chances are he would have walked away without charge. Now he should be charged with driving without insurance and a valid license, but also he should be charged with perverting the course of justice.

On Friday, May 05, 2017 at 8:04 PM, White Tiger said:

I saw the CCTV footage of this accident on Thai tv this morning. To me it looked from that as if the motorcyclist was 100% at fault. It pulled straight into the right hand lane immediately in front of the car, at speed and apparently without looking. From what I saw I thought there was no way the car could have stopped or avoided hitting the motorbike.   I was puzzled as to why such a big fuss was being made and why the celeb driver was apologizing.  I felt a bit sorry for the bloke and thought he was being made into a scapegoat because he was a rich celeb. Having read this thread I now understand why there was a fuss - no licence and no insurance (and maybe failing to stop after the accident?). If he had been on the road legally then on the evidence of the CCTV footage I saw on the news I reckon he would be in the clear as to my mind there was nothing he could have done to avoid hitting the motorbike. But not being street legal (and his apparently failing to stop?) it seems have put the blame firmly at his door.  (Of course his subsequent behaviour, apparently pretending to be a good Samaritan who was not involved with the accident but who witnessed it also helps with the apportionment of blame after the event. Despicable behaviour but perhaps motivated by genuine remorse while wanting to hide the truth?). 

Only that as he didnt have a licence he shouldnt have been on the road. In Thailand it seems only a minor issue but wouldnt it be nice to assume that drivers at least had some skills and experience rather than the " i dont give a stuff attitude" on daily display.

Gotta love these HiSo's and their "I'm too busy" to attend an interview with the Police.

And of course the Police we are too lazy to go get em.

Or we are too scared of the consequences of upsetting a HiSo felon.