New Rules Coming Down The Pike

After meeting with Thai Immigration in MaeSai yesterday the Col. Stated that as of Jan 2007 the Following changes are taking place on Renewal Visa's

"O" You will need 400,000 in the Bank for 3 months and proven income from Thailand or Abroad of 40,000 Baht

"O-A" You will need 800,000 in the Bank for 3 months and proven income from Thailand or Abroad of 65,000 Baht.

No more and or, you will need both!

I asked for actual written confirmation which he was unable to provide. He stated his information comes from Bangkok Immigration?

He said he wasn't sure about other immigration offices but these were the new rules for his office!

I did my 90 day report at Jomtien Immigration last week and they said they would be implementing the rules as per those published elsewhere in TV - not like you report.

Jomtien are pretty farang friendly though.

I am not saying you are wrong, just that its the policy of that Immigaration office in MaeSai and nothing more should be read into it.

Edited by dsfbrit

...and the good Colonel got those new rules from Bangkok in writing and he showed them to you?

More likely, he dreamt it the night before.

Once you are in the country, your non-imm visa is used up (unless it is a multiple-entry visa, which becomes void on its expiration date) and you are here based on the “admitted until” stamp. When you get an annual extension of stay, you are here on the basis of the extension stamp, which is not a visa, even though even immigration offices call it a visa. It no longer matters on what visa type you entered the country.

But let’s wait and see if the Colonel’s dream comes true, at least for Mae Sai. We have seen many posts about immigration officials applying the rules wrongly, so it should not come as a surprise.

--

Maestro

After meeting with Thai Immigration in MaeSai yesterday the Col. Stated that as of Jan 2007 the Following changes are taking place on Renewal Visa's

"O" You will need 400,000 in the Bank for 3 months and proven income from Thailand or Abroad of 40,000 Baht

"O-A" You will need 800,000 in the Bank for 3 months and proven income from Thailand or Abroad of 65,000 Baht.

I asked for actual written confirmation which he was unable to provide. He stated his information comes from Bangkok Immigration?

He said he wasn't sure about other immigration offices but these were the new rules for his office!

Well Well another interpretation!! This should keep this tread open for awhile. Thank God I am going home. If we want to come back I will sort it out in the Land of Oz where bias does not exist and the language does not require varied interpretation.

...and the good Colonel got those new rules from Bangkok in writing and he showed them to you?

More likely, he dreamt it the night before.

Once you are in the country, your non-imm visa is used up (unless it is a multiple-entry visa, which becomes void on its expiration date) and you are here based on the “admitted until” stamp. When you get an annual extension of stay, you are here on the basis of the extension stamp, which is not a visa, even though even immigration offices call it a visa. It no longer matters on what visa type you entered the country.

But let’s wait and see if the Colonel’s dream comes true, at least for Mae Sai. We have seen many posts about immigration officials applying the rules wrongly, so it should not come as a surprise.

--

Maestro

I asked for actual written confirmation which he was unable to provide. He stated his information comes from Bangkok Immigration? :o

For an Immigrant Visa “O-A” (Long Stay)? How does this work?

Was he on the booze ? This is NOT going to happen.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tip, have you anymore info on this topic, plus if this is the case are there ways around this for those effected?