Police urged to withdraw petition against detained student activist’s bail plea

Police urged to withdraw petition against detained student activist’s bail plea

By The Nation

9a5c412e472be49d24db7f6fb664a118.jpeg

File photo: Jatupat was charged and detained after he shared a BBC article deemed to have insulted the monarchy last December.

Representatives of the father of student activist Jatupat “Pai Dao Din” Boonpatraraksa have submitted a petition to the Royal Thai Police chief, asking him to help look into possible withdrawal of the police’s previous petition to the court to revoke Jatupat’s bail, which has led to his detention since last December.

Jatupat was charged and detained after he shared a BBC article deemed to have insulted the monarchy last December. He was accused of violating the lese majeste and computer crime laws. 

He was released on bail, but his bail was revoked after investigators filed a complaint with the court accusing him of violating his bail conditions. Since then his lawyers have filed numerous requests for bail, which have been rejected by the court.

The representatives of Jatupat’s father Viboon Boonpatraraksa, which includes a lecturer, believe that the student activist may be able to come out of detention if the police complaint was withdrawn.

Jatupat has been awarded the 2017 Gwangju Prize for Human Rights by the South Korea-based May 18 Memorial Foundation. He will also receive a prize of US$50,000 (Bt1.7 million).

According to the online news agency Prachatai, Jatupat had been nominated for the honour by the Institute of Human Rights and Peace Studies. The award recognises individuals or organisations who have made a great contribution to the struggle for human rights, democracy and peace in their own country in Asia.

Viboon said Jatupat’s mother may represent him at the award ceremony.

Viboon’s representatives, which includes a lecturer, believe that Jatupat may be able to come out of detention if the police complaint was annulled.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30314407

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-05-06

Interesting how some people remain in jail on relatively minor or trumped-up offenses, while others who've committed serious crimes seem to be able to get bail, or even avoid charges.

I guess the Junta is still sorting out those pesky "Judicial Reforms"?

You know things are bad when you can go to jail for simply sharing an article written by the BBC, which would have been factually correct.

The computer crimes act is an absolute disgrace, which allows people who speak nothing but the truth to be thrown in jail and actually protects wrongdoers.

I wish him the best of luck in getting bail and congratulations on the International Award, which he undoubtedly deserves.

If there were a lot more like him here, the junta would have a much harder job pushing through their oppressive legislation.

Until Lese Majeste is withdrawn from the statute books nothing will convince that Thailand is a modern thinking progressive country , the questions that needs clarification , what are the Hi - so and Military so afraid of , why do you make such a song and dance about Lese Majeste , just shows how immature Thailand's elite really are .............................................:coffee1:

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

You know things are bad when you can go to jail for simply sharing an article written by the BBC, which would have been factually correct.

The computer crimes act is an absolute disgrace, which allows people who speak nothing but the truth to be thrown in jail and actually protects wrongdoers.

I wish him the best of luck in getting bail and congratulations on the International Award, which he undoubtedly deserves.

If there were a lot more like him here, the junta would have a much harder job pushing through their oppressive legislation.

Your faith in the veracity of the BBC is interesting. Others are far less trusting.

18 minutes ago, halloween said:

Your faith in the veracity of the BBC is interesting. Others are far less trusting.

Ahhh is there anything the Junta do that you cannot justify?

This is about whether it is fair or right for a kid to be locked up for sharing a report from a world respected news source, whether you respect that news source is neither here nor there but locking a kid up for sharing a report sounds a little bit over board especially when you look at recent reports of people who have allegedly done far far worse crimes

21 minutes ago, mark131v said:

Ahhh is there anything the Junta do that you cannot justify?

This is about whether it is fair or right for a kid to be locked up for sharing a report from a world respected news source, whether you respect that news source is neither here nor there but locking a kid up for sharing a report sounds a little bit over board especially when you look at recent reports of people who have allegedly done far far worse crimes

Do you blindly judge unseen BBC articles as totally accurate? I certainly don't find  LM laws acceptable, if they were used in my own country I might possibly still be locked up. OTOH where they exist, I take care not to break them.

6 hours ago, wakeupplease said:

Yep democracy flourishes here, a shining example to the world on how move forward, problem is some do not know what the word forward means as back pockets rule

Sounds like the reason I junked an old car years ago with a defunct manual transmission. 

On 5/6/2017 at 4:50 PM, halloween said:

Do you blindly judge unseen BBC articles as totally accurate? I certainly don't find  LM laws acceptable, if they were used in my own country I might possibly still be locked up. OTOH where they exist, I take care not to break them.

H  -  I have read the article  --  have *you* ?

If the junta feels the article is inaccurate maybe they should complain to the BBC trust...

Making a complaint

It is the role of the Trust to ensure that the BBC Executive has in place an effective, clear and fair framework to respond to complaints.

Complaints are considered by the Executive first, followed by a right of appeal to the Trust. If you have an issue about something you have seen, heard or read on the BBC, or that relates to the way the BBC operates, you should contact the BBC Executive first, as follows. There are different complaints processes depending on what your complaint is about (for example an editorial matter or a TV Licensing complaint). The right place to send your complaint can be found on the BBC’s complaints website, as below:

How to make a complaint

I suppose if I were a lawyer defending this guy, I would be asking the question "have the Thai authorities actually made a complaint to the BBC or British Government who control the BBC"???

Wonder why the BBC are not following up on this???

Edited by Basil B

On 5/6/2017 at 0:20 PM, darksidedog said:

There are a  lot  more but they value their limited freedom, even the local policeman by me was discussing recently his dislike of the current rulers along with some builders I had here, FEAR runs Thailand, has for a LONG  time and somethings unmentionable arent as  popular as many would have you believe