Reliable VOIP in Thailand - Does it exist?

ChiangMaiThai

We have purchased a local Bangkok number from UWT for our company and use SIP and the Obihai 200 to make and receive calls. It works well about 90% of the time, which is not good enough when you have a customer on the line obviously (other 10% of the time there is a huge delay / voice crackles in and out / one side of the call can't hear the other etc.). We have no problems with regular Skype calls and we have confirmed the issue is not the internet. 

Does there exist a VOIP service in Thailand that just works? (We're sticking to VOIP as we are working out of a co-work space and will likely move locations a few times in the next few years - this lets us just plug in the Obi Hai and phone and our number is moved. 

Any suggestions would be very appreciated!  As far as I know local Skype numbers and Google Voice numbers are still not available for Thailand. 

8 minutes ago, muratremix said:

Find a sip provider in Thailand, not located in USA.

@ChiangMaiThai, I agree with muratremix in asking where your SIP server is located.  

If it is 'overseas' then your calls are making an unnecessary two-way or possibly three-way trip before reaching you.

If the service is located in Thailand, or even Singapore, you'll have much better connection quality.

If you want portable number, you can always use mobile number for business inquiries no?

If you're located elsewhere and want Thai customers contact you via local phone, you need voip DID numbers, can be bought from several companies and point it to your google voice or SIP account and voila.

1 hour ago, RichCor said:

@ChiangMaiThai, I agree with muratremix in asking where your SIP server is located.  

If it is 'overseas' then your calls are making an unnecessary two-way or possibly three-way trip before reaching you.

If the service is located in Thailand, or even Singapore, you'll have much better connection quality.

Thanks. Any idea of any Thai companies with SIP servers in Thailand? The SIP server is probably overseas, which is likely the issue.

4 minutes ago, muratremix said:

If you want portable number, you can always use mobile number for business inquiries no?

If you're located elsewhere and want Thai customers contact you via local phone, you need voip DID numbers, can be bought from several companies and point it to your google voice or SIP account and voila.

For our business, we think it looks pretty dodgy to not have a 'real' office number.

1 minute ago, ChiangMaiThai said:

For our business, we think it looks pretty dodgy to not have a 'real' office number.

Most thai small businesses uses mobile number for contact.

http://www.voip-thailand.com/online-shop/product/18-bangkok-did-phone-number

You can buy one from here.

It gives 02 bangkok DID number with 2 active calls at the same time.

Both CAT and TOT offer SIP services in connection with their Internet service.

I'm not familiar enough with what's based in Thailand to offer any suggestions.  

And while I loath Microsoft's SKYPE, they do have servers based locally and (I believe) offer Thailand numbers.

5 minutes ago, RichCor said:

Both CAT and TOT offer SIP services in connection with their Internet service.

I'm not familiar enough with what's based in Thailand to offer any suggestions.  

And while I loath Microsoft's SKYPE, they do have servers based locally and (I believe) offer Thailand numbers.

We've just always thought of no landline businesses as a little dodgy. Maybe we're behind the times. I don't think Skype does Thai numbers, but will double check and also check with CAT and TOT. Thanks!

A post from 2009:

Skype In Number In Thailand?
Started by CrossBones, August 13, 2009

Veazer said:
[...]  most of the internet providers offer VOIP service of some kind. True has TrueNetTalk, LoxInfo has CS Voice, TOT has TOTNetCall, CAT has Cat2Call. There's a fair amount of providers out there, and Voipthailand.com and others openly sell equipment.

FYI, 3BB Fiber does offer a POTs/voice add-on - their Fiber modem/router supports 1 or 2 POTs lines. I know one customer who has this service, they have an 02 number, and two cordless (2.4 GHz?) phones. I think it is 49 baht/month. I've used it, it works fine. Not sure on the billing? Maybe 50 satang/min? In-bound calls would be free obviously. You can also get a 4 digit call center type number, but you pay for in bound calls, and it's more expensive.

http://www.3bb.co.th/3bb/product/register_voice

3bb_voice.png

• 2 weeks later...

From CAT Telecom you can get a dual channel Bangkok number (02) and you will be billed monthly

TOT and True you are likely to get a 06 number true do offer pre paid and post paid

If you have a Thai company you will be able to get a local Chiang mai number

The servers are located in Thailand

Any questions email [email protected] or you can ask on line id: @voiplee