Noisy motorbikes on darkside

rocky123

Whats with all the noisy modified motorbikes ? The natives are competing for the loudest bike. Ive stopped drinking in the road-front bars on the darkside, as you cant talk threw the din of kids on modified bikes zooming by, at crazy speeds and deafening exhaust noise.

I like to call them 100cc Harleys, they remove the baffles and the damn things make damn near as much noise as a lot of Harleys.

I reckon Thais are all stone deaf, everything has to be at a gazillion decibels before they are happy.

10 minutes ago, Pungdo said:

I reckon Thais are all stone deaf, everything has to be at a gazillion decibels before they are happy.

It's all for attention. If you were a little Asian boy, you do what you can to stand out.

10 minutes ago, Pungdo said:

I like to call them 100cc Harleys, they remove the baffles and the damn things make damn near as much noise as a lot of Harleys.

Talking of Harleys, how do they get away with the noise they make? Even in Australia they can rattle windows, but have a car that loud and it would immediately be defected.

Same here after the sun sets the vampire riders come out in full force. They even go to the point of parking outside the condo and revving er up and then taking off weaving through the heavy traffic. It will go on forever I guess as the BIB do not seem interested. To much work for to little money I guess. 

Try sitting on the terrace of the sports bar, Koh Noi, you have to stop mid conversation with the din every 2 min or less. If u like the motor racing track, sit there for a while, you will love it. "I dont"

55 minutes ago, Pungdo said:

It isn't that the Thais are deaf but from old traditions here that if a thai complains about someone else's behavior then they themselfs are the one impolite.Of course the modern version is "My daddy is a BIB or a big wig" or "I just will get my friends and beat you 15 to 1." Film them with your phone and put it on Facebook the the BIB may take an interest..

I couldn't agree more. You should try living on Nern Plab Wan as I do. Lucky for me I rent and will be moving soon. I am not home most of the day so I don't hear it, but I like to leave my windows open and the worse is from 8pm to midnight. After that it calms down a bit, but you still get the rogue one in the middle of the night waking me up. There are a lot of little motorbike shops on Kow Noi and Nern that specialize in making your bike faster and louder, they are on just about every corner. It's a joke, who the heck would want to ride around all day on that thing. Plus, its not only the teenagers, I see older Thai's riding them as well. Just does not make sense.  

They probably think whats with all the farang drunks sitting roadside? Probably saying they find it hard to concentrate or need the exhausts to drown out the know it all chit chat, haha.

Solong as they arent firing shots as they pass by i wouldnt bother complaining. Atleast they have a hobby. Deal with it or go inside. Theres worse things in the world.

I do agree. These little bikes for which i am guilty of heavily modifying to see what the fuss is about and im still scratching my head. Yes, its a joke where as on a real bike for which im very guilty of having many they are all as noisey as hell. They arent commuters though!

2 hours ago, Dexlowe said:

I've heard the odd noisy bike, but not to the extent that the OP is indicating. 

I strongly concur with the OP.

In the last year or 2 there has been a huge increase in loud bikes - modified mufflers and a couple models which seem to have the loud pipes as standard, such as the stupid looking little mini bike. Many have loud pipes that are clearly illegal. 

I strongly concur with the OP.
In the last year or 2 there has been a huge increase in loud bikes - modified mufflers and a couple models which seem to have the loud pipes as standard, such as the stupid looking little mini bike. Many have loud pipes that are clearly illegal. 

They do get picked up by the police on the the bypass train crossing quite a lot but it doesnt make any difference, pretty much the same as the helmet rules. Get caught pay the fine although I think they may actually take the bikes off them if they get found to be modified (maybe someone can clarify that)
A high percentage of the Mabprachan bike noise comes from falangs that I see, especially now the dirt bikes seem to be picking up in popularity.
As for throwing tacks on the road as someone else mentioned thats just plain moronic

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

25 minutes ago, bangkokairportlink said:

Anyway, who drinks in front of a road when we have beaches everywhere ? People are weird.

It may surprise you to know that there are only beaches on the coast.

It seems a personal judgement problem.  I am not bothered by outside noise at my home. However, I actively sought an upperclass neighborhood cul de sac and I have my a/c on and often music playing. I sleep peacefully to sweet music. I frequent places where I can talk, but am not specifically bothered by noise--maybe its your age. I have a few friends who complain all the time about how loud Thais like their music and how dogs barking, cats fighting or chickens crowing interrupt their sleep.  

Another law in place with only a 1% chance of being caught.  At check points all the kids do is let up on the throttle and the pipes quiet down. Lately from Youtube, they have a video of how to stuff the muffler with fiberglass fibers soaked in water this packs the muffler and makes it louder once you hit the throttle?  I know my son has done it to his bike.

Somewhere on the forum there's another discussion about noise in general.  Thais have a different perspective about noise than many foreigners have.  Locals tend to not have the aversion to loud sounds that we non-locals do.

I love how some people get on their thrones and say we're imagining the noise. Or maybe we should move. Or maybe we should hide ourselves in an air con bar or high-end housing project or hang at the beach (none over on the Dark Side). FYI: A funny thing about bars is they reside on the street, which is a road used by these teenaged valkyries. However, there's nothing we can do about it except vent.

I chose to live on the Dark Side and away from the night-life noise. But little did I foresee the burgeoning muffler  (or should I say anti-muffler)  aftermarket.  Anyway, as I get older, I seem to be more susceptible to those two-wheeled noise-makers, many of them with piercing sounds. Alas, they're everywhere in Thailand. 

8 hours ago, stravers said:

It's all for attention. If you were a little Asian boy, you do what you can to stand out.

Yes, it is to stand out and impress potentional teenage mothers.

What would happen, if they would stand out as "outstanding" students at school. Thailand might turn out as a "premier educational Hub" in SE Asia. Not likely to happen. Potential teenage mothers prefer morons riding motorbikes over dull grade "A" students.
Cheers.

These Ass-oles are all over the place, Beach Road, Soi Buckaow, it is too much hard work for the BIB to get up off their asses and try and catch them as they won't have the money for their tea money collection.