Unacceptable Noise From Swimming Pool

OP best that don't sign a new lease and find a better suited condo next time, I've moved twice due to noise related issues, complaining didn't help, few nights I would stay in a hotel just to get a needed good night sleep. I think I had 6 months lease to go paid it all at once so I could leave, the management of the condo was nice enough and just kept the deposit

Don't go for serviced apartments with lots of tourists

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You ask for solutions, I would advice to look for feasable options and removing or silencing kids is not one of them. Try to go with the flow not against...
If the noise is really a nuisance, other residents will also complain. If so the juristic department will have to take action to solve the noise problem. I would suggest to cover the walls with sound absorbing materials which, if well selected, could be esthetic as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

On 5/8/2017 at 7:09 PM, jak2002003 said:

Hmm.  How long have you lived in Thailand?  You do know its the school summer holidays and the children will go back in a couple weeks?  You know Thai people don't care about noise, in fact they love it, the louder music, screaming parties and motor bikes the better... and the fireworks. 

The teenagers at you pool can not be making screaming noises 24 / 7.  I suggest you go out for a walk or shopping or something when you find yourself getting angry... that would be a better way to spend you time than working yourself up about it and recording it, reporting it to the staff, etc  and will help you relax a bit. 

Also I am sure your condo pool will be closed at night.. so it's not like the noise is keeping you awake at night.  I knowing most teenagers, I doubt there are in the pool much before midday, so they won't be waking you up at 6am either.

so according to you the op has to go out shopping , a walk and basically change his/her life around for a bunch of rude obnoxious screaming animals..pathetic cowardly advice.

Something I've always wondered. Do kids outside Thailand scream and shout as much as Thai kids do? The girls especially have an ear piercing shrill that really gets on my nerves. Been here 33 years as well as doing quite extensive traveling around the Northern Hemisphere. Never heard kids make so much noise as Thai kids do. There's a young girl who lives near me and she shouts at her mom repeating everything at least twice and often more. I've nicknamed her "Jackie Two Three Four".  Movie fans may remember the Jacob Two Two movies of 78 & 99.

19 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Yes, but the post you quoted was only concerned with someones claim that they know of places where children are shot at when they make too much noise.

I can understand people getting worked up about noise, but not to the point where they shoot at children.

well, that's too bad then.

I guess it's lucky that you don't work as a psychiatrist.

20 hours ago, KittenKong said:

That said, I have long thought that there is massive commercial scope in Thailand for buildings that prohibit any residents under a certain age (50?) and I would be happy to live in one if they existed. Such places exist widely in the west.

It's not relevant but yes, I also think that noisy children on flights should be relegated to some distant part of the aircraft or banned altogether. The same applies to drunks, people with loud phones/devices or anyone generally who makes pointless noise.

They're called retirement homes... or assisted living....   Most able elderly people I know hate the idea of such a place. 

I'm not sure if such homes for the elderly exist in Thailand. 

19 hours ago, DipStick said:

I have been a Marco Polo club member of Cathay Pacific since 1991, and often fly business class, but I will not accept a young child under ten seated next to me whilst the parents are in a different part of the cabin allowing the cabin crew to "mother" the child next to me. By the way the cabin crew are totally agreeable with me.

I think this is fair enough...  A Child should be seated next to their parents. 

Having flown numerous times with my Son (25 flights before his 1st Birthday and now at more than 50 flights at the age of 3) I do my best to keep him occupied and peaceful - but its not always possible. 

That said, he's made less noise and trouble than drunks on flights I've been on. 

Phones / iPads on silent or with headphones... Definitely... 

And in restaurants - last night my Son was misbehaving, it was a high end restaurant, not the sort of place where I felt comfortable waiting out his tantrum... As soon as he started playing up my Wife took him home. 

He's usually wonderful, polite, social and happy... but last night he was a pain, I felt it unfair to inconvenience others with his poor behavior. 

I think much of the issues people have with noisy kids originates from the parents of those kids in question. It is up to my Wife and I to ensure our child is not a nuisance.... Kids will be kids, they will have fun and make some noise, but there is a line of reason, one which I will not permit my son to cross.... Some adults can be extremely intolerant and unreasonable. 

I think a reasonable balance can be achieved for most 'normally tolerant' people.  Those without tolerance should do their utmost to avoid every day life for it is them who are the odd ones out, not families with kids. 

2 hours ago, Keesters said:

Something I've always wondered. Do kids outside Thailand scream and shout as much as Thai kids do? The girls especially have an ear piercing shrill that really gets on my nerves.

You are right about the girls. I think that Thai kids are particularly loud but other nationalities aren't a lot better. The Thai language is particularly loud and grating anyway, I find. Even the adults seem to shout rather than talk and I rarely have any trouble hearing them from dozens of metres away.

On 5/8/2017 at 7:11 PM, jeab1980 said:

Sorry cant agree with you kuds having fun at at swimming pool and your talking about legal action. Get a grip.

Lets see you file suit! It's May 2017. First hearing Feb 2018. It lasts 3 minutes to plan second hearing. Second hearing July 2018.

Second hearing delayed, Lawyer busy. Reschedule second hearing December 2018. Second hearing okay kids make noise. Judge will decide decision on third hearing scheduled for May 2019. I think you get the point. No legal way to fix your problem.

1 hour ago, tomwct said:

Lets see you file suit! It's May 2017. First hearing Feb 2018. It lasts 3 minutes to plan second hearing. Second hearing July 2018.

Second hearing delayed, Lawyer busy. Reschedule second hearing December 2018. Second hearing okay kids make noise. Judge will decide decision on third hearing scheduled for May 2019. I think you get the point. No legal way to fix your problem.

??

8 hours ago, Ryder88 said:

so according to you the op has to go out shopping , a walk and basically change his/her life around for a bunch of rude obnoxious screaming animals..pathetic cowardly advice.

You think Thai children are 'animals'? 

He only has to wait about one more week and they will be back at school.  He is going to have high blood pressure and give himself a heart attack if he gets so worked up and angry over some children playing.

It's good advise on my part.  At the moment he is obsessing about it and making the situation worse in his mind.  The only person who is suffering is him, because he is over reacting and over sensitive to what is going on. No rational, normal person is going to such extremes as he is doing over the noise of children playing in a public swimming pool. 

8 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

No rational, normal person is going to such extremes as he is doing over the noise of children playing in a public swimming pool. 

A condo swimming pool is not a public pool. It's a pool shared by co-owners. As such I would expect a much better level of behaviour in a condo pool than in a public one.

Public pools are widely available for those who wish to make a lot of noise, as previously mentioned. The beach is another good alternative.

3 hours ago, KittenKong said:

A condo swimming pool is not a public pool. It's a pool shared by co-owners. As such I would expect a much better level of behaviour in a condo pool than in a public one.

Public pools are widely available for those who wish to make a lot of noise, as previously mentioned. The beach is another good alternative.

Careful, you'll be having everyone believe they can do what they like in public places. Public places are for the use of 'everyone' and 'everyone' have rights too. Have you never heard of public nuisance charges? It's the level of what is acceptable that needs to be determined. Beaches and public pools are owned by the public, the tax payers, and has to be shared by all. Rules of acceptable behavior should be no different than those in private  shared pools.

10 minutes ago, Keesters said:

Careful, you'll be having everyone believe they can do what they like in public places. Public places are for the use of 'everyone' and 'everyone' have rights too. Have you never heard of public nuisance charges? It's the level of what is acceptable that needs to be determined. Beaches and public pools are owned by the public, the tax payers, and has to be shared by all. Rules of acceptable behavior should be no different than those in private  shared pools.

They should be, indeed. But in Thailand they often are not.

You dont need to go far on most public beaches to find morons with boom-boom music blaring out. There are many every evening on Jomtien Beach Road.

As the OP I appreciate the replies, good, bad and indifferent to the original post.

Alleviating the noise by having to take 3-4 hour walks or shopping trips or even wearing earplugs is unfortunately not an option, nor even a consideration if it were an option.

The 'children' I refer to are not young children/minors. Young children's screams and shouts are of no consequence as under 11's must be supervised when using the pool, which all are. Also by nature of their supervision and age the noises they make are what is to be expected from 'young children', to which I accept & have no issues at all.

The 4-5 children in question that prompted me to post are aged from 11-12 through to 14-15 years old.

Obviously unsupervised & run riot as and when they want, screaming & shouting to boot.

Whether this changes any replies or suggestions I don't know but thought it relevant to update.

Thanks

4 hours ago, StevieDee said:

The 'children' I refer to are not young children/minors. Young children's screams and shouts are of no consequence as under 11's must be supervised when using the pool, which all are. Also by nature of their supervision and age the noises they make are what is to be expected from 'young children', to which I accept & have no issues at all.

The 4-5 children in question that prompted me to post are aged from 11-12 through to 14-15 years old.

Obviously unsupervised & run riot as and when they want, screaming & shouting to boot.

Your building probably has rules about noise near the pool and it surely has general rules about people not being unnecessarily noisy. It is up to your management and committee to enforce the rules. You should complain to them in writing.

This brings us back to my post number 25 of several days ago  https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/982162-unacceptable-noise-from-swimming-pool/?do=findComment&comment=11868421

22 hours ago, KittenKong said:

The Thai language is particularly loud and grating anyway, I find. Even the adults seem to shout rather than talk and I rarely have any trouble hearing them from dozens of metres away.

I've attributed that to the loud noises that Thais grow up with.  A person with partial hearing loss will often talk louder than necessary.  They usually don't realize that, of course:  neither that they have a hearing loss nor that they are talking louder than needed.

23 hours ago, KittenKong said:

They should be, indeed. But in Thailand they often are not.

You dont need to go far on most public beaches to find morons with boom-boom music blaring out. There are many every evening on Jomtien Beach Road.

I agree but you stated

public pool and beaches are NOT for those that wish to make a lot of noise. Please do not say they are. Private or public, noise should be kept to a reasonable level.

• 3 weeks later...