Permanent VPN connection

janclaes47

I have a VPN ( Vpnunlimited) which I want to be on permanently on my PC.

My router TP-Link Archer D7 has ipSec tunnel settings, but I guess that is no use for me.

The VPN has  a Windows client, which can be set to start up with Windows, but is also OpenVPN compatible.

Which is the best way to set up, through the VPN app or with Openvpn?

I add, I actually rarely turn off my pc, but mostly put it to sleep.

On what version of Windows is your computer running? The DNS settings can be changed in Windows, so that if will have an effect only on your computer, or they can be changed on the router and thus affect all devices using it.

From what you wrote, you want to use your VPN only on your computer, and the exact procedure for this depends on your Windows version.

7 hours ago, Maestro said:

On what version of Windows is your computer running? The DNS settings can be changed in Windows, so that if will have an effect only on your computer, or they can be changed on the router and thus affect all devices using it.

From what you wrote, you want to use your VPN only on your computer, and the exact procedure for this depends on your Windows version.

My Windows version is Windows 7 x64 ultimate, and I indeed want only the PC going through the VPN.

I'm using a VPN, not a smart DNS, and know how to change DNS settings but don't really understand why I would need to change them to use a VPN.

I received the L2TP login-password- pre-shared key and individual server addresses, but no DNS details.

I also received a OpenVpn settings zip file, which I haven't opened yet.

Your emphasis on a permanent connection prompted me to suggest the configuration in the Windows system settings.

If you want flexibility, the ability to switch easily from one VPN server to another, you must of course use the program supplied by VPN Unlimited.

Regarding the possibility of using OpenVPN to set up and use VPN Unlimited, I don't see what advantage this might give you.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

37 minutes ago, Maestro said:

Regarding the possibility of using OpenVPN to set up and use VPN Unlimited, I don't see what advantage this might give you.

I also have no idea what the advantage of the OpenVpn is, but I assume there must be one, since they provide the settings while having their own app for every OS.

I was reading up on the web on this, and they mentioned the Openvpn starts each time you log on to windows, not sure if this is the case with the VPNunlimited app, as I only occasionally restart my PC.

There is no need to switch VPN, as my only intention is to avoid prying eyes from certain people.