adopted thai steson in uk

tim1uk

hi i have just adopted my thai stepson in the uk and  have changed his surname to mine, he has a uk adoption certificate and a uk passport now . i;m  trying to find out what his status is in thailand now. have contacted the thai embassy in london to change the name in his thai passport but they say they cannot help. has anyone  been through this . would like to no does he have dual nationality or is he now just british, we where told by the adoption courts he is now british but we want him to keep his thai citizenship aswell. cheers tim

I'm not an expert but you should try the boy's local Amphur office on your next visit to LOS accompanied by your son.  Make sure you can predict every document they will require to ensure a seamless transaction [including translations and affirmations, if it comes to it]. 

• 7 months later...

Hi I've just adopted my Thai step son and now he's got a new birth certificate. But having a problem getting him a UK passport as he's Thai name on he's Thai passport is different from he's new UK application.  Say can't have 2 passports with different names. Told us to change he's name on Thai passport but Thai embassy say they can't as he was adopted in the UK.  Any help would be appreciated. 

• 3 weeks later...

when you did the adoption did you change his surname to yours if so you have to get his UK passport in his new name or the name in the adoption cert.getting his Thai passport changes is the problem can only be fine in Thailand at the Thai adoption agency is what I've been told

On 08/05/2017 at 9:55 PM, GuiseppeD said:

I'm not an expert but you should try the boy's local Amphur office on your next visit to LOS accompanied by your son.  Make sure you can predict every document they will require to ensure a seamless transaction [including translations and affirmations, if it comes to it]. 

cheers been advised for to go to Thai adoption agency in Bangkok to sort it.