Foreign investors remain confident of Thailand’s economic potential

webfact

Foreign investors remain confident of Thailand’s economic potential

3598_20170508021929.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Foreign investors are still confident of the country’s economic potential after they met senior Thai authorities yesterday.

According to the National News Bureau of Thailand, the Joint Foreign Chambers of Commerce in Thailand (JFCCT) led by its president Mr Stanley Kang had a meeting with Minister attached to the Prime Minister’s Office Suvit Maesincee at Government House yesterday, and voiced confidence in the country’s economy.

The minister thanked the JFCCT team for the continued confidence in Thailand’s economic potentials and good cooperation with the government, as well as the effort to push forward government’s policies and measures towards concrete results.

The JFCCT chief thanked the minister and the Thai government for supporting foreign business operations in Thailand, but the JFCCT is now concerned with regulations on requests for work permits and visas which make it difficult for foreigners to invest in Thailand.

The minister said the government is facilitating foreign investors, and is now considering the streamlining of unnecessary laws, and make amendments to laws which create unnecessary complex procedures aiming to improve the service to be more quicker and transparent.

Full story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/foreign-investors-remain-confident-thailands-economic-potential/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-05-09

1 hour ago, nongkhaidude said:

Good they can buy my property when I get the hell out of here hopefully next year

mine too. about half the property owners i know in thailand are trying to sell. only way to sell is to half the price.

not long ago there were reports of foreign investment  down 80% per year for the last 2 years. suppose as long as they report everything is ok then everything will be ok.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Foreign investors remain confident of Thailand’s economic potential...

I think, two of the three "investors" asked, were Chinese in the shipbuilding industry- specialized in sub standard submarines. 

Edited by Lupatria

This piece of positive news certainly don't gel with today statement by Khun Suchinai, secretary-general BOI that investment dropped 31% in the first quarter this year. This kind of half truth news is confusing. 

Foreign investor are surely not putting any in thailand they incorporate aids to keep the business alive.

And those whom wiĺling do invest are more likley BVI holdings with declared NDA and DD in place.

And investment mean return ...do i missing here some part 

..or foreigner throw money away.

The only reason why associate investors invest is long term collarboration with benifits.

21 hours ago, webfact said:

JFCCT is now concerned with regulations on requests for work permits and visas which make it difficult for foreigners to invest in Thailand.

Also add unpredictable and prejudicial law enforcement and judicial systems that add economic risks. So why rush to make foreign investments? Adopt a "wait and see" policy, say until after the next elected government is installed - another 1-3 years?

17 hours ago, midas said:

hmmmmm.................................. who to believe??:unsure:

Foreign investment plummets 78% in junta-ruled Thailand

http://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/foreign-investment-plummets-78-in-junta-ruled-thailand

That 78% drop refers to 2015, it's now two years later!

Really Midas, I might have expected as much from you!!

10 hours ago, mommysboy said:

This is a propaganda exercise in response to an alarming Q1 drop in foreign investment.

I think that Q1 drop was anticipated based on the Fed meetings of 13 March. But look what happened immediately thereafter, the value of THB soared as people bought back in - my strongest guess is that the capital inflows for Q2 will be reported as very positive.

45 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

I think that Q1 drop was anticipated based on the Fed meetings of 13 March. But look what happened immediately thereafter, the value of THB soared as people bought back in - my strongest guess is that the capital inflows for Q2 will be reported as very positive.

All emerging markets will see improve capital inflow for stock and bond this year due to loose monetary policies in EU and low bond return. Capital inflow is fluid and will flow out like in 2016 just as easy unlike FDI brick and mortar investments which has declined. 

5 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

All emerging markets will see improve capital inflow for stock and bond this year due to loose monetary policies in EU and low bond return. Capital inflow is fluid and will flow out like in 2016 just as easy unlike FDI brick and mortar investments which has declined. 

Who knows! I can easily imagine that real investment is simply going to peer countries.  The only surprise is that it has taken so long to happen. Thailand has been hamstrung by the strength of the Thai baht, but there are other factors, both within and without. 

6 hours ago, simoh1490 said:

People bought back in!  There has been the suggestion that BoT is supporting the baht. Whatever the reason it cant be good for the domestic economy.

Surely foreign investment must be impacted by the increasing cosiness with China. Traditional investors may be looking for somewhere rather more neutral and/or holding off until they see what develops after the election.

23 hours ago, clockman said:

As there is no transparency in any sector. You may as well consult the fortune teller!

They misunderstood, and went for the fortune catcher .....

To be honest, if you hear and read what this government speaks out, sure you don't want to invest here.

The PM and the DPM are so childish in there every day statement and urging of the public., they sound as if they just came out of the kinder garden, who would invest in a country led by a toddler and his friends.  

2 hours ago, mommysboy said:

People bought back in!  There has been the suggestion that BoT is supporting the baht. Whatever the reason it cant be good for the domestic economy.

If you can show us where and how BOT has been doing that  it would be great, that old chestnut has been around for years without even so much as one satang of evidence.

19 minutes ago, simoh1490 said:

If you can show us where and how BOT has been doing that  it would be great, that old chestnut has been around for years without even so much as one satang of evidence.

I'm not that interested in all honesty so I'll concede the point.

Speaking from my own little corner, I can honestly say what you want to be up is down, and vice versa.  And to me it would be no surprise to find inward investment will languish and perhaps drop further.

6 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

I'm not that interested in all honesty so I'll concede the point.

Speaking from my own little corner, I can honestly say what you want to be up is down, and vice versa.  And to me it would be no surprise to find inward investment will languish and perhaps drop further.

I agree MB, it often doesn't make sense.

1 minute ago, MaxLee said:

Foreign investment.... from China, Russia and North Korea....

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Perhaps, but unlikely, unless those countries investments are in USD.

but the JFCCT is now concerned with regulations on requests for work permits and visas which make it difficult for foreigners to invest in Thailand.

Exactly.

The attempt here to open a business legally is suffocated by the paper war.

Even for foreigners married to Thai, it is made extremely difficult to work in a joint family-run business.

The possibilities for small and medium-sized enterprises are extremely problematic here.

1 minute ago, tomacht8 said:

but the JFCCT is now concerned with regulations on requests for work permits and visas which make it difficult for foreigners to invest in Thailand.

Exactly.

The attempt here to open a business legally is suffocated by the paper war.

Even for foreigners married to Thai, it is made extremely difficult to work in a joint family-run business.

The possibilities for small and medium-sized enterprises are extremely problematic here.

When these articles talk about foreign direct investment in Thailand, I really don't think they are referring to people wanting to open businesses here. I'm pretty certain they are referring to the large scale investment in bonds and the SET by intentional brokers, investment houses and banks - I also think any direct investment by business is restricted solely to multinationals, I honestly don't think their is any interest on the part of governement to attract SME's, small start ups, entrepreneurs, husband wife teams and such like, it's a totally different scale and league from what is being discussed.