Bins, cooking, the bedroom - Britain's May offers glimpse of private life

webfact

Bins, cooking, the bedroom - Britain's May offers glimpse of private life

By Elizabeth Piper

REUTERS

r11.jpg

Britain's Prime Minister Theresa May and her husband Philip sit with BBC Television's One Show presenters Matt Baker and Alex Jones at the BBC in London, Britain May 9, 2017. Picture issued by the Conservative Party/Handout via REUTERS.

LONDON (Reuters) - He takes the garbage out, she cooks at weekends and work never enters the bedroom - British Prime Minister Theresa May and her husband Philip offered a glimpse of their private lives in a television interview on Tuesday.

In the run up to her first election as prime minister, May is trying almost every tack to win the votes she says she needs to strengthen her hand in divorce negotiations with the European Union and cement her standing as Britain's leader.

After days of factory visits and Conservative Party rallies, May, sometimes uncomfortably, took on the primetime television 'sofa chat', answering questions ranging from how she fell in love with Philip to what made her call an election for June 8.

Asked how they split their tasks at home, Philip told the BBC's One Show: "There's give and take in every marriage isn't there? I get to decide when I'll take the bins out or if I'll take the bins out."

"I definitely do the taking the bins out, I do the traditional boy jobs by and large," he said, although now she is working so hard he sometimes makes the 'tea', or dinner.

"Theresa is a very good cook," he said, although she replied that since becoming prime minister her enjoyment of creating dishes was now confined largely to the weekends.

Philip May, a British investment relationship manager and a year younger than his 60-year-old wife, has been a quiet partner to May since she was appointed prime minister shortly after Britain voted to leave the European Union last June.

Little more is known publicly about their relationship than that they met at university and shortly afterwards got married.

Asked whether he was immediately attracted to May, he said: "Absolutely. It was love at first sight."

May agreed, with a "likewise".

And whether her red box, a traditional briefcase ministers use to hold official documents, ever made it into the bedroom? Philip replied: "I don't think it's ever made an appearance in the bedroom. I've never had to try and sort of ... shoo it out."

With the couple sitting side by side on a sofa, it was a clear attempt by her to reach more voters, some of whom may not tune into news programmes which are dominated by coverage of the election campaign and Britain's Brexit talks.

And it was a rare glimpse into May's personal life, starting with her childhood as the daughter of a vicar, through her almost 37 years of marriage, to walking for the first time into the official Downing Street residence.

Although several answers echoed her speeches on the campaign trail, she offered some insight into what motivates her, denying she had spent most of her life wanting to be prime minister.

"For me it's always been about making a difference because politics is about people and it's about improving people's lives ... doing things that really will help people to get on and have a better future," she said.

"It absolutely dawns on you when you are walking through the door of number 10 for the first time in that role and it's a huge privilege but you also actually feel a huge responsibility."

(Reporting by Elizabeth Piper; Editing by Janet Lawrence)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-05-10

Isn't it just fantastic to see that our fearless PM is proving the detractors wrong? She is clearly more than capable of standing up to scrutiny, handling a tough line of questioning with ease, and facing challenges head on without having to hide behind a hand-picked audience of pliant sycophants, all the while refusing to answer journalists' questions. No more can anyone claim that this Boudica-like Titaness is anything other than Thatcher's tougher big sister.

Edited by RuamRudy

3 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

Is she strong and stable? 

Well she's certainly going to need to grow some balls over the next 22 months but I'm not sure if Philip will like that!

But if Corbyn goes in the corbin then she May want the taking out rights, or she might prefer him to stay just outside the kitchen door! 

Edited by nauseus

7 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

No more can anyone claim that this Boudica-like Titaness is anything other than Thatcher's tougher big sister.

Many would say that this is exactly what we need in a Prime Minister at this time; I'm inclined to agree.

47 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Many would say that this is exactly what we need in a Prime Minister at this time; I'm inclined to agree.

The only time the since the election was called that she has faced open questioning and it was about who takes out the bins? I am inclined to think that the public deserves better from the person who will, most likely, be entrusted to lead the fight for the UK's best interests during the Brexit negotiations (for the purpose of clarity, I will admit to being somewhat facetious in my praise for the PM. A dirty, underhand trick, I know, but with humour I tend to take the low hanging fruit).

14 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Isn't it just fantastic to see that our fearless PM is proving the detractors wrong? She is clearly more than capable of standing up to scrutiny, handling a tough line of questioning with ease, and facing challenges head on without having to hide behind a hand-picked audience of pliant sycophants, all the while refusing to answer journalists' questions. No more can anyone claim that this Boudica-like Titaness is anything other than Thatcher's tougher big sister.

Does it matter a bit?  The electorate has handed her a twig to take to a gun fight. There is no leverage of consequence against the EU.  A big hurt is coming and there is no stopping it. It's back to the post war, pre 60's  riding a near depression economical tidal wave backwards.

23 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

The only time the since the election was called that she has faced open questioning and it was about who takes out the bins? I am inclined to think that the public deserves better from the person who will, most likely, be entrusted to lead the fight for the UK's best interests during the Brexit negotiations (for the purpose of clarity, I will admit to being somewhat facetious in my praise for the PM. A dirty, underhand trick, I know, but with humour I tend to take the low hanging fruit).

I did not see the One Show interview, so cannot comment on it's full contents (did you?).

But it is not the first nor only time May will be interviewed during this campaign.

There was her interview with ITV News after calling the election: Full transcript: Theresa May's exclusive interview after calling for a General Election

I have already seen interviews with all party leaders, and others, on TV, with more to come. For example, BBC News announces plans for General Election Special TV programmes

David Dimbleby will host two Question Time Specials, in which leaders will face audience questions consecutively. The first will be with Theresa May and Jeremy Corbyn and the second with Tim Farron and Nicola Sturgeon............Andrew Neil will conduct a series of interviews with the leaders in prime time.

I think her decision not to take part in any live TV debate to be a mistake, though.

18 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

I did not see the One Show interview, so cannot comment on it's full contents (did you?).

I am commenting on the Reuters article that is the OP. From this, and the other media reports of the interview that I have read, I get the feeling that this was not one that challenged her particularly.

22 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

But it is not the first nor only time May will be interviewed during this campaign.

There are a whole raft of newspaper articles to suggest that she has not been making herself open to challenge, debate or unprepared questioning thus far in the election campaign. I neither seen nor read any evidence to suggest that she has exposed in any way herself to unscripted questions, but if you are confident that she will allow the press or public to have unfettered access to her plans for her next government prior to the election then I would welcome it very much.

34 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

I think her decision not to take part in any live TV debate to be a mistake, though.

Something we both can agree upon.

4 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

There are a whole raft of newspaper articles to suggest that she has not been making herself open to challenge, debate or unprepared questioning thus far in the election campaign. I neither seen nor read any evidence to suggest that she has exposed in any way herself to unscripted questions

I have no idea whether or not the interviews she has already given were unprepared or unscripted; ditto for the interviews she has yet to give.

Just like all the other party leaders.

But, unprepared or unscripted or not, I'm sure that all of them will be better briefed by their advisors than Shadow Home Secretary Diane Abbot!

Shadow Home Secretary!

Not the first time she's been under Corbyn!

13 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

I have no idea whether or not the interviews she has already given were unprepared or unscripted; ditto for the interviews she has yet to give.

On the rare occasions May emerges from her media bunker, she only allows questions which are approved beforehand by her spin team.

She says strong and stable leadership ...but in reality she is terrified of her weaknesses being exposed.

Edited by onthesoi

17 minutes ago, onthesoi said:

On the rare occasions May emerges from her media bunker, she only allows questions which are approved beforehand by her spin team.

She says strong and stable leadership ...but in reality she is terrified of her weaknesses being exposed.

Spot the difference:-

1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

There was her interview with ITV News after calling the election: Full transcript: Theresa May's exclusive interview after calling for a General Election

I have already seen interviews with all party leaders, and others, on TV, with more to come. For example, BBC News announces plans for General Election Special TV programmes

There should be a series of Hillary v Trump style debates. Important to get candidate's real opinions and see how they react under pressure. Need simeone like Paxo though. Who was that chap who first did Hardtalk?

12 minutes ago, Grouse said:
1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

There should be a series of Hillary v Trump style debates. Important to get candidate's real opinions and see how they react under pressure.

TV debates for US presidential candidates started with Nixon v Kennedy in 1960. Kennedy shone, Nixon didn't; and as a result Kennedy went on to become president.

How the Nixon-Kennedy Debate Changed the World

What happened after the two candidates took the stage is a familiar tale. Nixon, pale and underweight from a recent hospitalization, appeared sickly and sweaty, while Kennedy appeared calm and confident. As the story goes, those who listened to the debate on the radio thought Nixon had won. But those listeners were in the minority

Of course, since then all politicians have learned how to best present themselves on TV and so don't make the same mistake Nixon did in thinking how one looks doesn't matter. People often judge more on how a speaker looks rather than what they are saying!

14 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Need simeone like Paxo though. Who was that chap who first did Hardtalk?

Tim Sebastian.

48 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Spot the difference:-

Thanks for that! I watched both very closely

TM is typical Tory, avoiding questions and obviously going for low tax, low benefit economy. She's not for the average family

Now Jeremy is the wrong person to be Labour's leader, but I thought he talked sense! No, honestly.

The other issue in 1960, in addition to Nixon's painful knee, was that he declined make up...consequently looked old, shifty, anxious, sweaty and a bit creepy...viz Kennedy looking youthful, healthy, suave ( an irony not lost on those who have an interest in those times).

As for May, she probably...almost certainly ..loathes the personal intrusion in her life but has been persuaded by the backroomers  that she had to do it. Maybe they thought they needed to soften her image lest she look/sound too Thatcheresque.

Corbyn simply doesn't care about this stuff but, while that is endearing on one level, he doesn't seem to get that the public doesn't see him as a Hugh Gaitskell so much as a Michael Foot. A complete disaster for Labour despite the fact that he's eminently likeable.

20 hours ago, Grouse said:

Thanks for that! I watched both very closely

TM is typical Tory, avoiding questions and obviously going for low tax, low benefit economy. She's not for the average family

Now Jeremy is the wrong person to be Labour's leader, but I thought he talked sense! No, honestly.

Whoever's answers and statements one preferred depends, of course, upon one's politics.

The reason I posted those videos, though, was to show that both party leaders were equally prepared for their interview, in response to

22 hours ago, onthesoi said:

2 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Whoever's answers and statements one preferred depends, of course, upon one's politics.

The reason I posted those videos, though, was to show that both party leaders were equally prepared for their interview, in response to

Thanks for that, but we need you for n the other thread. Is is possible to renationalise railways? Utilities? PO?

Confusion all around and you are very good at getting at the facts ?