Budgeted spending vs actual spending

8 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yes, I would never want to have a wife / GF that was not contributing to the relation in a financial way. I would always be worrying if money was all she wanted. Of course I would contribute more but I just like independent woman who can leave me if they want and have no need to stay for purely financial reasons. We are all different some guys don't mind about these things as long as she looks cute and shags good and dont mind paying salaries ect.  (different in a marriage when there are kids ect)

That too puts me in a different category. My wife was never married nor did she ever have any kids, She considered herself an old maid. She is very independent and that suits me fine. I would have never married an immature clinging vine. There have been bumps in the road over the past fourteen years but that is bound to happen when you have two bull headed people. We both have certain rules and as long as we abide with them, thing go along quite smoothly. She is financially able to do without me.

55 minutes ago, Bikeman93 said:

So I am gather most of you are on at least a part pension (60+) and don't expect to be around in 20 years time, and with a small income from other sources.

To be fair is obvious also easy to say there a vast difference with farangie living standards in Thailand be it there situation, whether well off financially or just getting by whatever as already posted.

If your looking for answers the only way IMO is to live in Thailand to a living standard that you require and are happy with to see and decide for yourself.  

I always found these threads odd in that in your home country do you ask these same questions? The variables are endless to the point its pointless to ask and to the OP, yes its an anonymous forum which means a great number of posts will likely be BS to wind people up.

I will answer 2 questions,

No we do not have a budget, 

Yes my wife knows exactly how much we have here and in the US. She does the Thai banking for us here and I do the US banking. We agreed easier for us to manage our own countries banking systems.

Edited by JAFO

We spend what we earn on a yearly basis (my pension + small earnings of my wife).

During our 7 months in Thailand we do not spend much - next we spend those savings in Europe.

The first years I wrote down our expenses to make sure we stayed within budget, but now that comes naturally.

In Thailand we are happy to enjoy a simple life, no restaurants or fancy European food, working as a hobby in our 3 rai garden (in the middle of nowhere).

In Europe we travel around, renting apartments in different countries, cooking our own food - we never stay at hotels, only occasionally go to restaurants.

Cheap Charlie and Big Spender combined.

For emergencies I have enough savings in Europe - I could not live without that buffer.

Ok, take Bangkok as an example.

You can live here for 18000-20000ThB as one English teacher I had.

Or you can live here for $5000-5500 per month without big expenses but quite and comfortable [a little]...

I posted that I have no budget. That's not exactly true. Several times a year I examine my savings and if they continue to grow, that tells me I am well within what I can afford to spend. I owe no one any money and I keep it that way. My wife does owe money. She continues to accumulate farm land and when one mortgage is paid off, she buys more land. I always advise her against buying more, but as long as she is paying for it, I have found that it is better to keep my mouth shut. I tell her that the land price is a bubble and she tells me that she doesn't care because she will never sell any of it. To put it into perspective, she has accumulated 65 rai.

5 hours ago, bazza73 said:

I don't have a budget. I have a rule that 80% of my assets stay in Australia.

Tell my Thai GF my net worth? Are you insane?

I told my wife (then gf) from the start how much I own, but....

I told her my savings are all tied up in a house and that it would cause a big loss to suddenly sell it. In reality my savings are in the bank, but the amount is correct. I rent the house...

That way she will not get the idea to ask money for her family, while she does have a certainty for her future - as I have no children, only she will inherit.

I think this is a fair compromise between being truthful / silly and lying / egoistic.

Really quite bizarre how some feel compelled to hide, deceive, mislead their wives. GF's well sure, makes sense. If I was in the states I wouldn't tell a gal who I was dating or living with my financial position. Really none of her business and most never ask. Doesn't matter where she is from.

For those of us with properties and grown kids in our home country and have bought more property in Thailand, built a house for Thai wife and children. I've made it clear that what's in the US belongs to my first family and everything in Thailand will be hers and daughter.

Plan on buying another house in Thailand. I've planned my retirement without the need to sell anything in the US but keep as rentals to supplement pension, SS and savings.

As far as my bank account and 401K goes, well that is kept to myself. If I told my yearly earnings she would feel justified in spending too much. Besides all my 401K accounts I'm able to save an amount equal to my household expenses in Thailand.

Total honesty only works when you don't have much too loose.

On 5/11/2017 at 9:14 AM, wildewillie89 said:

Government pension formula is last salary x years of experience divide by 50....My wife is on level 6 before 30 years of age so will have an expected last salary of 60,000 for example. If retires at age 60 that will be 34 years of experience. 1.5 years in Yala is counted as 3 years, so it is 37 years. 60,000x37/50= 44,400. Plus the initial large sum payout. I know many government officers within my family with pensions 35,000 onwards. Not sure where you got your information from.

Maybe your numbers are based on people who passed the test late or never moved up.

Well.level 6 has only a "few" people,right?And I think even than pension is much lower!

Most my friends are teachers(bachelor degree or more} or Government employee  and some prof. soldiers and I think nobody has more than 25.000 BHT,most about or less 20.000 BHT!

1 hour ago, vukovar77 said:

Well.level 6 has only a "few" people,right?And I think even than pension is much lower!

Most my friends are teachers(bachelor degree or more} or Government employee  and some prof. soldiers and I think nobody has more than 25.000 BHT,most about or less 20.000 BHT!

You can't only comment on people you know, as there is a massive ranges depending on many factors:

The Mrs is level 6 now at 29 years of age so will be level 7 at 33 - would have thought most people/teachers will retire at level 7 to 8 as that's the highest level you get to before you need to start looking for specific positions. So teachers level 8 is even easier than other departments as more positions available.

As far as our lifestyle is involved I wouldn't want her moving beyond level 8 or she will have to do a lot more travelling. Your initial comment was disputing my figures...the figures you speak of are accurate for people who pass the test late or don't get things like good job performance awards from the big bosses. Some people get 1% increases, some people who perform well 3%. For example, my wife is 29 and level 6, most people are 38 years of age when get to level 6 - so naturally her salary will be higher than theirs when they both retire as she is 9 years in front of them. 

The formula is very simple, it all depends on factors such as how hard the person works to pass the test early and perform. If your friends either passed the test late or never moved up then that is on them really. However, I have different experiences. For example, my father in law was in the army, he retired at 52 (8 years before 60) to become the Mayor. His pension is 32,000 even though he retired so early. 

Edited by wildewillie89

• 1 month later...

I've always budgeted. It's a good way to stay on track and know when you are getting off it. It's also forces you to think about financial choices. I don't think I've ever actually came right in on the monthly budget but usually within a few percent over or under each month. I know I spent less by having it than without it and made better buying decisions. Also a great way to plan for larger purchases without going into debt by prioritizing. Even got the wife buying into it to the point she's becoming a coupon queen and saving us a small fortune on everyday stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect