Budgeted spending vs actual spending

Do you have a budget? How does this relate to your actual spending?

Do you have an income or assets?

What part of Thailand and standard of living does this afford?

I know this sounds personal but this is an anonymous site so its OK to ask, and by the way do you tell your GF or wife these amounts?

Just seems to me after not being here for a while many expats who said they were doing so well financially are now broke or returned home.

Wondering if they were full of BS or perhaps made the mistake of telling their GF how much they were worth.

1 hour ago, Bikeman93 said:

Just seems to me after not being here for a while many expats who said they were doing so well financially are now broke or returned home.

Wondering if they were full of BS or perhaps made the mistake of telling their GF how much they were worth.

Could be but I really don't pay much attention to the financial lives and troubles of other expats, only my own are of interest to me.

2 hours ago, Bang Bang said:

Never spend more than you earn. Spend exactly what you earn.

Because there's no competition among dead people that who has the most in the bank wins.

Works great until you can't work any more..

Look for an educated woman who actually gives a damn about you (like most people would usually back home), rather than a 20 year old 'hooker' ....my wife's government pension when she retires will be bigger than the Australian pension. 

Edited by wildewillie89

Budget? What's that? If I had to stick to a budget I would have worked a few more ears. And no, I'm not a wealthy man. I just like to think that I planned well for my retirement. And no, my wife only knows what I have here in Thailand. I do trust my wife but one never knows for sure. Why take a chance? Younger guys can make mistakes because they can make more money. My working days are far behind me.

What problem is it telling your GF what your worth.. if she does not love you and your not worth enough she is gone.. No loss there because then she was a gold digger. 

There are not that many murders of foreigners to steal their money, and you would have to be a real bad judge of character to hook up with one of those girls. Not marrying hookers would help of course... not that there are no good hookers.. but they are used to having sex for money.. so there might not be any love and / or caring.. and she just wants your money.

As for budget.. i got a budget and it helps me in a way that there is far more money going in then going out. I have no wife / GF salary costs because I like woman that have their own jobs and pay their share. 

6 minutes ago, Gary A said:

Budget? What's that? If I had to stick to a budget I would have worked a few more ears. And no, I'm not a wealthy man. I just like to think that I planned well for my retirement. And no, my wife only knows what I have here in Thailand. I do trust my wife but one never knows for sure. Why take a chance? Younger guys can make mistakes because they can make more money. My working days are far behind me.

Not letting her know what your worth is one thing.. but I don't see the point of hiding it. Just make sure its not accessible if you meet an unnatural demise.  

38 minutes ago, wildewillie89 said:

Look for an educated woman who actually gives a damn about you (like most people would usually back home), rather than a 20 year old 'hooker' ....my wife's government pension when she retires will be bigger than the Australian pension. 

Wow,government pension here is not more than 15000-20.000 BHT

Well,I will answer You!

When I came here 5 and half years before,my budget was about 50.000-60.000 BHT,live mostly in Bangkok!

Now,with good Thai wife (she speak only Thai) which I used to use very fluent now,I spend about 15.000-20.000 BHT for 2 people  per a month for much better quality of life!

She has small condo in outskirts of Bangkok and work in factory!

Her parents live in countryside and they send us every month fruit,vegetables and rice from their farm!

She is 27 years younger than me,very pretty women and she does not like shopping or such a things.She was never married and no kids!

Her family never ask me money as well!

Speak Thai is very important here !With Thai language ,You can find nice Thai traditional girl which will cook  for you and take good care of you!

Girls from internet and girls from bar or massage or hotels which can speak English are far more risky!

10 minutes ago, robblok said:

Not letting her know what your worth is one thing.. but I don't see the point of hiding it. Just make sure its not accessible if you meet an unnatural demise.  

I have no health insurance. I was priced out of health insurance. What I had to do was to keep a nest egg in my home country that will cover any medical emergency that I ever have. Hopefully my son will inherit that money because that will mean that I never had to use it. Loving wife or not, there is only one person who takes care of number ONE, that is yourself.

You guys all sound like the ones that went broke, saying you are above a budget.

How much do you think you need to ignore a budget then? Give me some numbers, how old are you and are you subsidised by a pension?

I know I am financially better off than some of the posters here, maybe all, and I still think a budget is a good idea. That's kind of my point.

3 minutes ago, Gary A said:

I have no health insurance. I was priced out of health insurance. What I had to do was to keep a nest egg in my home country that will cover any medical emergency that I ever have. Hopefully my son will inherit that money because that will mean that I never had to use it. Loving wife or not, there is only one person who takes care of number ONE, that is yourself.

Ok guess we got different views, i see the world different.  (but keeping money aside for health issues is wise)

Edited by robblok

OK then I tell you my position first.

50 yo, $400,000 house (rented out $500 per week), $100,000 invested (6-8,000 per year)no wife or kids, small supplementary income 2,000 per year, lowly 120,000 in super (don't get for 10-15 yrs-goalpost is moving).

Maybe inheritance but not counting that.

All AUD

Edited by Bikeman93
Addition

4 minutes ago, Bikeman93 said:

You guys all sound like the ones that went broke, saying you are above a budget.

How much do you think you need to ignore a budget then? Give me some numbers, how old are you and are you subsidised by a pension?

I know I am financially better off than some of the posters here, maybe all, and I still think a budget is a good idea. That's kind of my point.

Numbers are irrelevant because they can vary a lot. The needs and cost of one person can be totally different here in Thailand. It also depends on your lifestyle. I could spend half of what I now budget and still survive ok, or  5 times as much if i wanted too. 

I only keep a budget because i like it I am an accountant but it does not consist of writing things down it just means i spend a certain amount a month and try not to exceed that amount. 

2 minutes ago, Bikeman93 said:

OK then I tell you my position first.

50 yo, $400,000 house (rented out $500 per week), $100,000 invested (6-8,000 per year)no wife or kids, small supplementary income 2,000 per year, lowly 120,000 in super (don't get for 10-15 yrs-goalpost is moving).

Maybe inheritance but not counting that.

All AUD

You call that better off as most posters ?

26 minutes ago, vukovar77 said:

Wow,government pension here is not more than 15000-20.000 BHT

Government pension formula is last salary x years of experience divide by 50....My wife is on level 6 before 30 years of age so will have an expected last salary of 60,000 for example. If retires at age 60 that will be 34 years of experience. 1.5 years in Yala is counted as 3 years, so it is 37 years. 60,000x37/50= 44,400. Plus the initial large sum payout. I know many government officers within my family with pensions 35,000 onwards. Not sure where you got your information from.

Maybe your numbers are based on people who passed the test late or never moved up.

Edited by wildewillie89

Just now, Bikeman93 said:

Who answered my question, yes.

"Spend no more than what you earn" sounds like hes doing it with no buffer

Oh who answered.. i though in general on Thaivisa.. I have no idea I don't really care what others make. I have seen some high amounts here and I make nice money myself and set aside a lot and got health insurance (think that is important).

I don't drive a Mercedes nor do I live in a mansion. I drive an Isuzu 4X4 pickup and live in my wife's two bedroom house. I am a firm believer that a person must always have a Plan "B". After more than ten years it is doubtful that my wife will throw me out, but if so, I still have a nice condo in the farang ghetto. I do live exactly as I want. I am fortunate to have lifetime pensions of which I have a healthy surplus every month.

2 minutes ago, Gary A said:

I don't drive a Mercedes nor do I live in a mansion. I drive an Isuzu 4X4 pickup and live in my wife's two bedroom house. I am a firm believer that a person must always have a Plan "B". After more than ten years it is doubtful that my wife will throw me out, but if so, I still have a nice condo in the farang ghetto. I do live exactly as I want. I am fortunate to have lifetime pensions of which I have a healthy surplus every month.

Real good point, it really depends on your spending pattern how much you use here in Thailand. We are all different, some blow huge amounts on woman in bars and stuff like that others are married and don't have to spend on the wife.. again others have a wife that drains them. Its so hard to comment on people's spending because it can vary so much over here. 

8 hours ago, Bikeman93 said:

Wondering if they were full of BS

And you think they'd respond to your questions and be totally honest about it because they'd want to assist you in your meaningless "scientific" quest ? 

Obviously some people are doing fine. Some people are getting by. Some people are in deep do-do. Most people who do answer your questions will add varying degrees of BS to the answers they give,

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

Real good point, it really depends on your spending pattern how much you use here in Thailand. We are all different, some blow huge amounts on woman in bars and stuff like that others are married and don't have to spend on the wife.. again others have a wife that drains them. Its so hard to comment on people's spending because it can vary so much over here. 

You are exactly correct. My wife's problem is that she is a workaholic. She farms and works part time for the electric company. She really doesn't have to work but she likes to have some money in her pocket that she can spend as she sees fit. She always hated to ask me for money, I should add that she uses no makeup, not even lipstick and she doesn't own a dress. I keep trying to get her to sit back and relax but it appears that she just can't stand to sit still.

I have a friend up here in the boonies who has a very good pension. His wife spends it all and at the end of the month he is always broke and borrowing money. He doesn't even own a car or truck. It's his business so it is up to him. I would refuse to live that way.

Just now, Suradit69 said:

And you think they'd respond to your questions and be totally honest about it because they'd want to assist you in your meaningless "scientific" quest ? 

Obviously some people are doing fine. Some people are getting by. Some people are in deep do-do. Most people who do answer your questions will add varying degrees of BS to the answers they give,

I agree with you on the BS side. Just so many questions before "how much to retire in Thai" I thought it might help to check from the other side, should have phrased the question better - "how much to spend relative to your means and live sustainably?"

I have a budget for sure. To me a budget is the amount of money, per month, that strikes a balance between living a decent life while continuing to save for the future. My own budget is probably on the high end of "cheap charlie." I am a minimalist, so that suits me.

I have a good savings. I don't own any property anywhere. No inheritance coming. 

I definitely 1) have a budget (though it's flexible), 2) track my finances and 3) save money every month. Those are the habits that contributed to me being able to move to Thailand. 

As far as my lifestyle goes, some people would think that I am living large. Others would think, "That's not living, that's surviving." It's quite subjective as anyone who has read a cost of living thread on Thaivisa knows. 

Have a good day. 

Just now, Gary A said:

You are exactly correct. My wife's problem is that she is a workaholic. She farms and works part time for the electric company. She really doesn't have to work but she likes to have some money in her pocket that she can spend as she sees fit. She always hated to ask me for money, I should add that she uses no makeup, not even lipstick and she doesn't own a dress. I keep trying to get her to sit back and relax but it appears that she just can't stand to sit still.

I have a friend up here in the boonies who has a very good pension. His wife spends it all and at the end of the month he is always broke and borrowing money. He doesn't even own a car or truck. It's his business so it is up to him. I would refuse to live that way.

Yes, I would never want to have a wife / GF that was not contributing to the relation in a financial way. I would always be worrying if money was all she wanted. Of course I would contribute more but I just like independent woman who can leave me if they want and have no need to stay for purely financial reasons. We are all different some guys don't mind about these things as long as she looks cute and shags good and dont mind paying salaries ect.  (different in a marriage when there are kids ect)