Thai Providers Not Operating Until Payment Received Especially in Emergency Situations

ev1lchris

How common is this? I just read an article about someone who injured themselves riding a motorcycle. He was insured but his insurance would not pay for his treatment and therefore the doctor would not operate. Sounds very scary.

Quite common in private hospitals.

Will not happen in a government hospital if it presents a risk to life not to operate, but if the surgery is elective (i.e. can safely wait) they too may refuse.

Being properly insured is essential. And that means carefully reading one's insurance policy. Some will not cover motorcycle accidents. Others will but only if you have a valid license in the country you ride in etc etc.

In a recent highly publicized case, a woman racked up millions of baht in bills at a government hospital despite being insured because she had driven a motorcycle without a license.

If you read today's reports the hospital indeed did operate, immediately and he is making good recovery.

The reason for insurance non-payment was the action was considered his recklessness as he just had MC accident which they covered and had no use of one arm but was on MC again and unable to properly hold on.

Yes, you need to read the policy first and read it with the eye of an insurance company claims examiner.

Nomads, for example, is clear that you're not covered if you're not wearing a helmet or if you're not obeying local road rules, and that must rule out a large number of claims. As must the requirement of a proper license.

https://helpdesk.worldnomads.com/customer/en_gb/portal/articles/2405935-am-i-covered-by-travel-insurance-if-i-m-riding-a-motorbike-or-scooter

Considering the head injuries the poor guy in Phuket suffered, I suspect he wasn't wearing a helmet. (Note the helmet requirement is there in the Nomads policy whether or not a helmet is required under local law.)

As for a rider, I believe I've seen some travel policies that cover only injuries suffered as a passenger in a taxi, bus or other public conveyance.

Archived