Four year old killed as she tumbles down uncovered drain

webfact

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

When a tragedy can so easily be prevented, I think people can be judged. Judged for their carelessness, irresponsibility, laziness and not caring for their children enough.

A 4  year old alone "says it  all"

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, kannot said:

Exactly, but some people just dont get it, authority here DOESNT GIVE A SIHT ABOUT YOU.

They really don't give a shit much about each other either. No one had to wait for the "authorities" to cover that drain, even an old sheet of iron or an old door would have been better than nothing, but the Thais don't really care until there's a tragedy, then look for someone other than themselves to blame.

1 minute ago, kannot said:

A 4  year old alone "says it  all"

Yes, and I see the parents on TV,  understandably distraught, and I can't imagine what they are going through, but they are equally responsible for the child's death.

3 minutes ago, giddyup said:

They really don't give a shit much about each other either. No one had to wait for the "authorities" to cover that drain, even an old sheet of iron or an old door would have been better than nothing, but the Thais don't really care until there's a tragedy, then look for someone other than themselves to blame.

Which  is  why  i  fix  the  roads  round  here, after its rained you get large stones on the road about the size of a grapefruit but the locals themselves never stop to pick them up off the road  just ride round them, theyre all to blame imo.

3 hours ago, johng said:

R.I.P to the little girl.

A fully grown woman fell down a similar broken drain cover a few months ago at the
Na-Jomtien "Ban Eua-Athorn" estate, she was in hospital for a couple of days with some nasty cuts to her legs.
Some good did come from her misfortune in that the management finally ordered work to start on replacing every concrete (mostly broken) drain covers with custom made metal grates...though how long these will last is debatable as they have been made of mild steel and painted not galvanised.

like many things done here, done as cheap and as nastily a s possible and after the money has been whittled  down with all the corruption its hardly surprising

2 hours ago, lucjoker said:

The open drain was in front of a shop,because it could be seen on CCTV.

So hundreds of neighbors did see this before and did nothing.

The poor child family  did see it too.

They all knew there was a dangerous point .........

Would you as father send 2 children to this shop???????

I dont think so.

Would you  send them on a 125 cc scooter without light and no 

brakes to a safer shop to buy your cigarettes or booze?.....i dont think so........not we . 

But some people do ,for them this is all normal.

Who are we to judge over them.

I agree, those people probably will say maibenlai and make a new baby tonight..who are we to judge them?

But i live in a upscale estate and there it's the same story, open drains, open naked wires who even give fireworks during rain...exploding transformers, rabies soidogs......

Even the elite don't have safe private estates because nobody cares.

Just now, kannot said:

like many things done here, done as cheap and as nastily a s possible and after the money has been whittled  down with all the corruption its hardly surprising

Yet they manage to find the money to put new fancy streetlights on both sides of the road (totally unnecessary) on the stretch of road where the old Black Hole used to be (darkside)

2 minutes ago, kannot said:

Yet they can find the money to put up hundreds of fancy streetlights on the stretch of road where the old Black Hole used to be, on the darkside. The road is bright enough to land a jumbo there at night.

4 hours ago, shady86 said:

As usual, improvement and actions only taken after someone lost their life. Seems like everything needs to be paid by life here.

You mean TALK about improvement and actions. My wife taught me very soon after I came here never to step on a covering of any kind. When there is one, which is far from normal as photos posted above show. I really cannot understand why so many people here just don't care.

Sad but true.

There is no care for safety in asia.none.

In america this would be manslaughter neglegence and someone would go to jail

But here theres a hole on every street 

Hows that 2 sticks showing you its a hole there watch out. Usually its a tree branch. How hard would a piece of plywood be with rocks put on top.

Someone would steel the plywood i know. But still such a sad loss for no reason other than neglegance on some idots part who will do it again tomorrow.

Lets buy submarines and tanks  we dont need manhole covers anymore .

Every child for thereself out there.

That said when i see a entire family on a motorbike i think stupidity is rampant in asia .it runs all the way to the top. Its not a thailand thing its a asia thing. Holes and 4 to a motorbike.

3 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

You mean TALK about improvement and actions. My wife taught me very soon after I came here never to step on a covering of any kind. When there is one, which is far from normal as photos posted above show. I really cannot understand why so many people here just don't care.

Yes and we see it every day: adult Thais will step around these covers ( and, by and large, so will I) even in downtown Bangkok. Of course, 4 year-olds the world over are drawn to such things like magnets.

The issue in Thailand is that when ever outside anywhere, be it a shopping mall, a restaurant, even a kids play area we can't take our eyes off our child for second....   If we do the inquisitiveness of our children could have tragic consequences...  

This is one of the main issues which makes me truly concerned when living here...  

I have a 3 year old Child, the single and only issue I have is for their safety in a country where safety is primarily overlooked.

You only need to take a short trip through the centre of a resort town like Hua HIn to see that hardly any tourist money is spent on simple safety measures.  Walk through the centre and note the liklihood for accidents with broken, raised, and missing paving stones, kerb stones and drain covers , together with dangling electric cables and open electrical connections on lamp-posts, plus metal signs on pavements situated nicely at decapitation level, not to mention concrete and metal posts partially blocking the pavements.

How much money would it take to improve all of the above to ensure safety for Thais and tourists alike and also give some validity to TAT's hopes to "lure" quality tourists?  It would also help of course if the stench from some of the drains on the pavements and indeed also on the beach was eliminated.  

7 hours ago, shady86 said:

As usual, improvement and actions only taken after someone lost their life. Seems like everything needs to be paid by life here.

It doesn't even work then, Nothing will be done, a bit of lip service a few correctly placed "Wai's" and life goes on! Absolutely terrible for that poor kid, what a waste.

4 hours ago, aussie11950 said:

You can make a difference.

Years ago I was at a large hotel in Bkk and noticed there was a large gap between the many escalator's rail and the side guard's, about 10 inches.

I thought it was dangerous, as a child to pass through and fall to the floor below.

I took pics and told reception of my concerns.

Within an hour they had guards fitted to stop access for any toddler.

As I posted on another thread, I reported to reception an open electical conection box right next to a hotel's swimming pool.  Even worse, it was at head height while sitting on the pool-side bench, so anyone sitting there who merely scratched his (probably) wet head would possibly be killed.

Reception promised to get it sorted immediately but when we visited the hotel three months later nothing had been done.  We again reported it and next time we stayed there about two months later an oversized plastic cover had been taped over the junction box but the tape was coming unstuck.  No doubt, when someone dies, a 10 baht plastic cover of the correct size will be purchased and properly screwed on. 

7 hours ago, tagalong said:

Typical  Thai attitude to safety all over Thailand.....

"The relevant authority responsible was in the process of replacing all the missing covers, but some were not finished"       How Thai !   They could not even be bothered to put temporary covers  on, or a fence around.  Mai pen lai !

7 hours ago, giddyup said:

I may be wrong, but maybe Kannot was voicing the attitude of the average Thai, their indifference to safety and that life is cheap.

Yes this should not be taken out of context, it was probably a sarcastic remark indicating the attitude of appropriate council authorities.

This business of broken and open drains is everywhere, especially on Samui. Walking down along the ring road at Maenam , in a short distance i saw several open broken drains plus others just about to cave in. But do you know what ?  no one cares a hoot. When the broken one finally falls in , just stick a palm branch in the hole.  That's how councils fix things in Thailand .

5 hours ago, johng said:

At the end of the Thai Rath article
It says that the drain cover had been in a bad state for a "long time"
and that the estate management had started a program of replacing all the drain covers (lots of drain covers) but to late for the little girl :(

So they removed all the rotten drain covers. What!   Were they getting them reconditioned ?

1 hour ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

You only need to take a short trip through the centre of a resort town like Hua HIn to see that hardly any tourist money is spent on simple safety measures.  Walk through the centre and note the liklihood for accidents with broken, raised, and missing paving stones, kerb stones and drain covers , together with dangling electric cables and open electrical connections on lamp-posts, plus metal signs on pavements situated nicely at decapitation level, not to mention concrete and metal posts partially blocking the pavements.

How much money would it take to improve all of the above to ensure safety for Thais and tourists alike and also give some validity to TAT's hopes to "lure" quality tourists?  It would also help of course if the stench from some of the drains on the pavements and indeed also on the beach was eliminated.  

Do you live on Koh Samui by any chance !

13 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Criminal negligence, somebody needs to be charged with manslaughter

Agreed, but the company responsible will likely give the father a brown envelope with ฿20,000. Then claim it as tax loss. 

Don't you guys remember a few weeks ago when the workers detached a bridge and didn't bother putting up  baracades to warn drivers at night bridge is out...a three cars drove off....

and some people get all pissed off when anyone question intellectual capacity or critical thinking abilities...

why can't Thai anticipate cause-effect scenarios? But even the bigger problem is the lack of accountability in all facets of their society....

nothing ever really improves unless an accountability structure with enforceable punishment is in place....