NBTC controls Internet TV boxes

webfact

NBTC controls Internet TV boxes

BANGKOK, 12 May 2017 (NNT) - The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) has imposed a regulation to classify Internet TV boxes as controlled equipment. 

The regulation requires producers and importers of Internet TV boxes, such as Media Box, Android Box, Apple TV Box, TV Stick, HDMI Dongle, and Chromecast to apply for permission from the NBTC in accordance with Section 70 of the NBTC Act B.E.2008. 

Penalties for those who produce, import or sell unauthorized Internet TV boxes include a maximum of two years in jail and/or a maximum fine of two million baht.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-05-12

The  main reason is True is losing clients due to their rubbish programming and are too lazy to fix it.  Instead of fixing things, Thailand prefers to ban competition.  Will the iStudio stores need to apply for a license?

Good luck with that. If True are too lazy to modernise and humble themselves, you really think other people are going to bend over backwards for them to regulate internet TV boxes. There are countless ways of watching media online. It would be an endless battle. 

True sucks. I will be changing my mobile and wifi package as soon as my contract ends.  

Why should True change! They are bringing in huge amounts of money with monthly sattelite/cables charges of 2700 THB p/m.

It's owned by one of the richest Thai families that started UBC. I've tried to get UBC/True to put FOXNEWS on but won't because they have to pay an annual  fee to FOX and they can keep CNN, BBc, ect because they are free. They could careless about the viewers

as long as the cash is deposited every month. Now we have a choice, AIS Fiber it looks good, but I hope it lasts longer than

GMM or CTH!

Whilst True making some noise is one reason I suspect the true reason is more along the lines that the government cannot control the content of the IP boxes. Heaven forbid the populace might get some ideas from outside of their domain, thoughts and ideas can be dangerous.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The regulation requires producers and importers of Internet TV boxes, such as Media Box, Android Box, Apple TV Box, TV Stick, HDMI Dongle, and Chromecast to apply for permission from the NBTC in accordance with Section 70 of the NBTC Act B.E.2008. 

In short, now you have to ask for a permission to use the free internet?

21 minutes ago, the guest said:

Media boxes of course are being used to access pirated material which is highly illegal. It's only a matter of time before the net is closed. 

You think large legal companies like Google and Apple developed media boxes to access pirated material?

Anything that is not generating revenue for those in charge/power is to be outlawed.....or so it seems.

The android box is perhaps one of the best inventions in recent years.  Unlike in NZ where if you want to watch just about any sport you have to subscribe to the monopoly holder Sky TV.  And like True here in Thailand, the price of the package you want always increases and then within a few months they have a reshuffle.

Thereby you have to fork out more money to get the channels you want/originally subscribed to.

I really like my android box, it is over 2 years old and getting a bit slow but I still get to see live rugby matches at no additional cost.  Possibly one of the only things that gives the customer his/her true monies worth.  All hail the Android box!

• 2 months later...

The box is basically a mini computer that allows many applications to run.  There are many applications which are legal to stream such as Netflix.  Yes they can be used to stream pirated content but so can your computer, phone.  So you will need to a licence for Netflix by way of subscription and another for the NBTC?  Bullshit.  If they ban these boxes, they they will have to ban computers, phones, tablets and anything else that can access the internet.  Another article I read regarding this law is whether the NBTC actually has the right by law to enforce notification on anyone.  They will have to prove that you own the addon used to scan for pirated sources, which you don't, neither does Kodi, neither do the device manufacturers.  Another case of the the big boys trying to control everything and keep money in their pocket.  Unfortunately, in this case they will be trying to piss against the wind.     

On ‎12‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 7:40 AM, Wiggy said:

One more reason to consider leaving this place.

The military control freaks are out in force! Small mind syndrome. No outside enemy so the enemy must be within?

On ‎12‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 0:42 PM, JayBird said:

Will we require permission and a personal audit of our computers soon as they can be used in this exact same manner?

In time to come they will come a knockin' to check your TV and computer. Just like immigration do. Police state and all part of the 20 year master plan to rid the country of farang expats.