How Long After UK Settlement Visa is Granted to Take First Visit?

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some updated information about the length of time allowed between a UK settlement visa being granted and the first entry to the UK being made. I have looked around on the forum and found that before (still now?) it was 3 months, and also that you could defer the visa 'valid from' date by 3 months on the application. Is this still the case? I was discussing our plans with a friend this afternoon and he was under the impression that they have changed the time between visa being issued and the first entry to the UK to a maximum of 30 days, this seems difficult to believe as it would be a stretch to think that people can get all their affairs in order and leave in such a short time frame.

Many thanks for any information given.

Yes, your friend is correct, a settlement visa is valid for thirty days from the date printed on the vignette, during that thirty days the applicant needs to enter the UK and collect their Biometric Residence Permit from their nominated Post Office.

You don't actually defer a visa, the applicant actually gives a date when they expect to travel, and that can be up to three months in the future (that's I suspect where your three months comes in), and the visa should be issued with your planned travel date printed on the vignette.

Once the visa has been issued, you can apply for it to be reissued for a later date, but that comes at a fairly high price. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, theoldgit said:

You don't actually defer a visa, the applicant actually gives a date when they expect to travel, and that can be up to three months in the future (that's I suspect where your three months comes in), and the visa should be issued with your planned travel date printed on the vignette.

To expands on this a little, if i may.

The visa will commence on the date of travel entered on the application, which as theoldgit says can be up to three months ahead, or the date of issue; whichever is the later.

Note, though, that it cannot be used to enter the UK before it's start date.

If you cannot travel within the 30 days then, as theoldgit says, you will need to apply for a new vignette via the Visa4UK account used to make the original application; see

See also ECB17.3 Replacing a 30 day short validity (travel) vignette.

The  fee for this is currently 226USD!

• Like 1

Hi,

Thank you both for the great information, it is most helpful. I have found the 30 days part very surprising, I guess she will have to apply with a travel date of 3 months in advance, as there will be quite a bit of winding up to do in Thailand before the move, things which can only be done once the issuance of a visa is confirmed (ie selling of vehicles, house rental, temporary re-homing of dogs etc). It just seems a little rushed.

Thanks again gentlemen. :wai:

On ‎13‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 1:59 AM, theoldgit said:

enter the UK and collect their Biometric Residence Permit from their nominated Post Office.

Do you know if they still need to apply for a National Insurance number or is one automatically assigned to them with the Biometric Residence Permit?

4 hours ago, theoldgit said:

Totally separate process, she needs to apply separately  http://www.workgateways.com/moving-uk/taxation-ni-number

With respect, OG, that is a commercial site and the information it contains is not 100% accurate. They also make the process seem more difficult and lengthier than it actually is in order to sell you their or their partners' services!

From the official Gov.UK Apply for a National Insurance number

If you’re moving to the UK

You may have a National Insurance (NI) number printed on the back of your biometric residence permit (BRP). You don’t need to apply for a National Insurance number if you already have one, or one is printed on your BRP.

If you don’t have a National Insurance number, you must apply. You can only apply for it once you’re in the UK. You must have the right to work or study in the UK to get a National Insurance number.

(7by7 emphasis)

From Biometric residence permits (BRPs)

You may have a National Insurance (NI) number printed on the back of your BRP. Not all BRPs have this - it depends on factors like the date it was issued and your visa status.

13 hours ago, Laab Muu said:

Do you know if they still need to apply for a National Insurance number or is one automatically assigned to them with the Biometric Residence Permit?

To be honest, I don't know if a family migrant, e.g. spouse, will be issued with their NI number when they receive their first BRP, and the guidance doesn't make it clear.

So when she arrives and collects her BRP, check the back and if there is no NI number there she should apply for one following the procedure in my first link.

If she is not issued one with her BRP and so has to apply for one, there is no need to use the services of any commercial agency to assist; the process simple and easy to do yourself. The main frustration being waiting in a queue on the application line at 9p per minute!

• Like 1