Global cyberattack disrupts shipper FedEx, UK health system

Jonathan Fairfield

4 hours ago, Caps said:

Well done the NSA....another great Export by the US

And who developed it for NSA?

Microsoft by any Chance?

would explain why the security of every version of Window resembles a Swiss cheese and why when they run out of back doors they have to bring out a new version. 

Amazing to me that they can't follow the money.  Seems like by sending ransom money to an account and then tracking that would lead to something somewhere. In the end the bad guys want the money.

Amazing to me that they can't follow the money.  Seems like by sending ransom money to an account and then tracking that would lead to something somewhere. In the end the bad guys want the money.

No, they can't follow the money. When I checked last time, they earned about 18k usd. Not a lot actually. But, most people don't have an Bitcoin account. It takes a few days to open such an account. This money runs trough the darknet. There are some money laundering services there. No way to trace the money.

There are very bad things on the darknet. Drugs, weapons, Profi killers to hire and even human trafficking.

Edward Snowden used darknet to communicate with the guardian journalist. Even the NSA had no chance to intercept or control this exchange of informations.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

19 hours ago, alocacoc said:

Windows 7 here. I also intentionally set to manual update. I check every Sunday for updates.

I don't get it. How it comes that companies, hospitals didn't install the security patch?

Because they are running XP?

15 hours ago, xvend said:

You have not done your research on how this thing spreads. If you walk into an airport lets say that has free un -secured wifi , it will infect all windows computers without the patch, unknowingly to the user. 

As far as your knobs remark, Im sure you have one knob friend that may have you in their contacts list and opens an attachment or clicks a link, which executes a script and sends that one email to you and everyone else in their address book making the email to actually come from the sender. 

Ive worked in IT now for 20 years and my best advice if you offer FREE wifi at a your business is to separate that network from your work machines that may require windows. Alternatively, move to cloud applications for mission critical software.

Unfortunately at its current state, most enterprise software only runs on windows. The reason why you would not have automatic updates turned on is it could cause system wide incompatibility until a vendor updates.

okay!

I have been misinformed then... thank you journalists.

3 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

Because they are running XP?

Wish I was still running XP, I have had more problems and sleepless nights from migration from one operating system to the next that from any virus.

Gates should be sued for trillions by all Window users for mental cruelty...  

18 hours ago, Grouse said:

My MacBook is looking particularly fine right now!

Joking apart, I await GCHQs massive response to what ever is driving this. Can Bitcoin just be shut down?

Bit coin should be outlawed its primary function is it is untraceable and can be used for money laundering. 

Wannacry Version 2 without the "killswitch"  has arrived. Tomorrow will be an interesting day.

So far, about 30500 USD are paid. I takes some time. I guess, this amount can explode in the next days.

Bitcoin can't be shut down. Same as Torrent can't be shut down.

Edited by alocacoc

23 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Bit coin should be outlawed its primary function is it is untraceable and can be used for money laundering. 

Yes - let's keep money laundering as the preserve of the Big Banks. They have far more experience at it.

Edited by RuamRudy

14 hours ago, Thongkorn said:

A british  boy has stopped the bug in its tracks it cost£8.

Yes he register the domain that acted as the kill switch, bit risky some people may think he was behind it now and he will be traceable even if he registered it anomalously, unless he paid by Bit Coin.  

On 2017-5-13 at 0:32 AM, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The Shadow Brokers released Eternal Blue as part of a trove of hacking tools that they said belonged to the U.S. spy agency.

Who needs enemies when you have America as a friend...

On 5/13/2017 at 1:16 PM, Basil B said:

Yes... The NHS in the UK has been hit hard.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-39906019

Now the British Government has just been bitten hard in the bum maybe they will do something about Mall Ware, Viruses, Scam Emails as they all have, Email addresses to reply to, or websites and bank accounts or bit coin for receiving payments.

The UK's cyber security agency should be able to:

• Instruct all UK internet service providers to block email and websites addresses associated with these attacks.
  • Instruct all UK banks to block payment transfers to crocks accounts.

The UK Government should outlaw Bit Coin under Money Laundering laws, and take retaliatory action against countries that harbour these crocks.

Typical NHS management. Too busy building themselves palaces at public expense to take care of the housekeeping.

Will this make the zombie generation more unlikely to be "hooked" by all things cyber- I doubt it.

This is a wake up call, but like the 2007 crash which was known to be a threat long before it happened, I doubt anyone that can will do anything to stop the gravy train. Too many people making too much money.

1 hour ago, Basil B said:

Wish I was still running XP, I have had more problems and sleepless nights from migration from one operating system to the next that from any virus.

Gates should be sued for trillions by all Window users for mental cruelty...  

My main desktop PC - the one I'm posting from - is  XP, but my main laptop is Win10. I'm still getting used to it.

Old picture:

591814d068ecb_ATMwindows.JPG.aa0fc9a3707f1383398e80546e9e93a4.JPG

2 hours ago, JetsetBkk said:

My main desktop PC - the one I'm posting from - is  XP, but my main laptop is Win10. I'm still getting used to it.

Old picture:

Apparently W10 isn't being hacked by this current group, but XP is. Unfortunately I loath and despise W10, and W8.

Cyber-attack threat escalating - Europol

Friday's cyber-attack has affected more than 200,000 victims in 150 countries, Europol chief Rob Wainwright says.

Speaking to Britain's ITV, he said the world faced an escalating threat, and there was concern about the level of potential attacks on Monday morning.

The virus took control of users' files, demanding payments; Russia and the UK were among the worst hit countries.

Security experts have warned that another attack is imminent and could be unstoppable.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-39913630

It'll be okay...just patch, upgrade, additional security, more virus protection, better OSs, new devices. They...Microsoft, IBM, Dell, Google, Apple....all have consumer interests at heart. Trust. After all they were spot on with their assessment of the Y2K threat and didn't make a cent from it.

It'll be interesting if the next attack is unstoppable and does shut down the internet. Even a short halt will bring chaos as almost everything is now on the internet. Try making a flight booking without it!

If it is caused  by an e mail attachment, that would be shocking, as for many years I've known not to open e mails from sources I don't know.

1 hour ago, Prbkk said:

It'll be okay...just patch, upgrade, additional security, more virus protection, better OSs, new devices. They...Microsoft, IBM, Dell, Google, Apple....all have consumer interests at heart. Trust. After all they were spot on with their assessment of the Y2K threat and didn't make a cent from it.

Virus protection didn't work this time, why would it work the next? it's always catch up, as they don't know what the threat is till it arrives.

The government needs to employ more clever people that can hack the hackers and destroy their computers.

On Sunday, May 14, 2017 at 5:36 PM, thaibeachlovers said:
On Sunday, May 14, 2017 at 3:30 PM, JetsetBkk said:

Old picture:

Apparently W10 isn't being hacked by this current group, but XP is. Unfortunately I loath and despise W10, and W8.

Surprise, surprise...

"Windows 7 was overwhelmingly affected by WannaCry"

"XP was largely untouched by last week's worm because PCs crashed before WCry could take hold. Instead, it now appears, the leading contributor to the virally spreading infection were Windows 7 machines "

https://arstechnica.com/security/2017/05/windows-7-not-xp-was-the-reason-last-weeks-wcry-worm-spread-so-widely/