Where Are You Eating Christmas Dinner?

Ulysses G.

Christmas Dinner at a friends house. He did all the cooking and wouldn't let his wife near the kitchen

Turkey cooked with a very large piece of pork belly on top. Roast potatoes, broccoli, brussel sprouts, roasted minced pork, cranberry sauce, yorkshire pudding, gravy. Numerous bottles of wine. Choclate cake. :o

Christmas Dinner at a friends house. He did all the cooking and wouldn't let his wife near the kitchen

Turkey cooked with a very large piece of pork belly on top. Roast potatoes, broccoli, brussel sprouts, roasted minced pork, cranberry sauce, yorkshire pudding, gravy. Numerous bottles of wine. Choclate cake. :o

Your pjayd mate wasn't there this year.

There was a strangely dressed Glaswegian though - how did I know? You could almost hear him from the car park!

I had some takeaway murtabak from a stall at the Monday night market at Meechok Plaza, along with a bag of fried wontons. Just like mom's cooking! :D

Pleeeeeze!

Where is 'Meechok Plaza,' and the location of this stall. I am seriously missing a good murtabak!

Thanks.

The Fly Fisherman

Meechok Plaza is on Mae Jo rd, connected to Talaat Ruamckoke.. :D

where you'll also find the new Rimping, and the 'Farang Cafe', if that helps at all.

Many thanks to you both for the directions. :o

The Fly Fisherman

795, plus 10% staff gratuity (hard to get these buddhists to work on christmas) and 7%VAT - which all gets passed on to the taxman (cough).

I just wanted to mention that Dave at the Duke's says that he didn't charge anything extra for a gratuity and that he actually does pay all of his VAT to the tax office (he has told me this many times and I think that he is telling the truth).

One of the more frugal members of our dinner party - who notices these things - told me that we didn't pay anything other than the tip that we included ourselves, so I think that the Duke's got a bum rap on this.

I also heard that the Duke's actually lost money on Christmas Dinner, so we can't complain too much about the price. :o

Edited by Ulysses G.

795, plus 10% staff gratuity (hard to get these buddhists to work on christmas) and 7%VAT - which all gets passed on to the taxman (cough).

I just wanted to mention that Dave at the Duke's says that he didn't charge anything extra for a gratuity and that he actually does pay all of his VAT to the tax office (he has told me this many times and I think that he is telling the truth).

One of the more frugal members of our dinner party - who notices these things - told me that we didn't pay anything other than the tip that we included ourselves, so I think that the Duke's got a bum rap on this.

I also heard that the Duke's actually lost money on Christmas Dinner, so we can't complain too much about the price. :o

I didn't superscan the bill as much as my picky/cheap self usually would, but I always look pretty closely, both to check for mistakes and to ballpark a tip. I'm pretty sure there wasn't any service(tip) or anything strange added in. Only add-ons I noticed were the dessert and wine lines, but that was fair.

My family and I (5 people) went to Le Crystal Restaurant, a french restaurant with view on the ping river. I think we've seen only two other tables with farang sitting there (mostly thai-chinese people). It was quite pricy at 3900 THB per person, then an overpriced wine that we paid 16,000 THB that cost probably 10,000 THB back home.

5 services diner, it was somewhat slow. Ambiance was alright with a band singing christmas songs and old rock. Next year I'll look for something a bit more sabai-sabai - perhaps the Duke's.

Edited by kudroz

So why was it printed at the bottom of the sample menu - it was the reason we went to the Sheraton!

10% staff gratuity - that's what it said!

EDIT: Not flaming and if I am mistaken then fair enough - but we went to The Dukes about 2PM on Christmas Eve especially to see what was on offer.

Edited by The Dan Sai Kid

So why was it printed at the bottom of the sample menu - it was the reason we went to the Sheraton!

EDIT: Not flaming and if I am mistaken then fair enough - but we went to The Dukes about 2PM on Christmas Eve especially to see what was on offer.

Your spot on Dan Sai, i was in Dukes earlier in the week and also saw the sample menu with the 10% Gratuity and 7% tax added, i ate in the Queen Vic food good although i now know how a Sardine feels!

Your spot on Dan Sai, i was in Dukes earlier in the week and also saw the sample menu with the 10% Gratuity and 7% tax added, i ate in the Queen Vic food good although i now know how a Sardine feels!

Ah, the plot thickens...

Ah, the plot thickens...

special treatment for regulars?

Did you order a special desert?

We were charged extra for wine, but not for deserts and there was a whole table of them with all the other food so I don't know how anyone would know to charge you. :o

There was a whiteboard that had various dessert prices listed, so I wasn't surprised by the charge.

We were there at 7:30 p.m. on Xmas day, so as you mentioned above DD (Funny, my initials are DD) may have changed things on the fly. Either way, the food really rocked my socks and I wish I had been more into a long trencherman durability, but happy anyway.