The Tale of two ty250 Mono's - pic heavy

2 minutes ago, papa al said:

Good points.

Bought a gallon of Belray 2T oil for the TY350 in Colorado.

It is purple and really viscous & sticky.

Like molasses in the cool/cold mountain temps.

Used it as the foam-filter oil too.

Cut it with gasoline to apply mo bedda.

Used excess onto rag for dressing 

tools and wheelbarrow handles.

Also, The PTT 2T oil initially bought here

papa used to refinish old dessicated wood cabinets.

Worked great.

Better than linseed oil.

Pretty quick drying

and didn't drip off after that.

Not tacky when dried.

Low viscosity, like 10 or 20.

So prolly not optimal for filters.

In theory.

seems your dada  or mama taught you well...

Photos of the spinners too , please.  You do realise you will be inundated with requests for more custom spinners.  I can see a market for you  there.  On another note , i would have a white seat on the blue bike , and a black seat on the yellow one. OMO.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ktm jeff said:

Photos of the spinners too , please.  You do realise you will be inundated with requests for more custom spinners.  I can see a market for you  there.  On another note , i would have a white seat on the blue bike , and a black seat on the yellow one. OMO.

# Forgot to take pics. 3 and a 1/4" billet alloy disc, 8mm thick, radiused edges, 6 radial 18mm holes, 3 of which had pressed in heavy brass inserts, bearing was 24mm OD, 7mm thick with a 9mm ID. Then alloy 1" top hat concave spacers pressed into each side of the bearing.

# Made son watch and help most of the machining procedures. Try and get him into enjoying the machine shop - it's (one of) his heirlooms...

# Son took it to school yesterday. Yeah, now they all want one. I could probably make a batch of 10 (without the brass inserts) for 500-600 baht ea. Nobody (luckily) would pay that price for one. Son is happy because he gets a unique one off that no other kid has. "Wow! Where did you get that?"  "My dad made it"...

# Damn - another vote for a white seat....

4 hours ago, papa al said:

We all eagerly await the pics.

Take care yourself.

Get 2-hr massage.

grease in bearing

stops spin too.

Thanx.

# Massage could make it worse. Had the same thing about 6 weeks ago. Lower back, L/H side, could be a trapped nerve. Can't ride a bike let alone start one at the mo. Just manage to sit in a comfy sprung tractor seat...

# Indeed. M/C shop i bought it from had 2RS (rubber seal each side) bearings for 40 baht or ZZ (metal shield each side) for 80 baht . In hindsight i shoulda bought the cheapest nastiest brg i could find. These spinner toys sold use bearings which would be considered junk for most applications.

# Shields came off, grease cleaned out, and the bearing went in and out of my lathe about 10 times until i was a bit happy with it's "slop".

Tools of the trade...

# Top is a long piece of 1/2" square tube welded to a nut with 22mm across the flats. Fork damper rod tool to enable the fork legs to be put together.

# Below it on the right is an alloy fork top bush and seal driver.

# On the left is another home made tool, made in my workshop in the UK for holding Spanish 2 stroke flywheels. Unfortunately, the flywheel weights get in the way on a ty.

# So i had to buy the tool below it from the UK. This is a monster (pics don't do it justice just how big these are) pair of mole grips type tool which will hold a flywheel for nut tightening one side, and the other side for holding a clutch centre for nut tightening. Pretty much a universal tool for anything it will fit. Very handy. About £18 plus shipping.

# Bottom right is a std L/H thread flywheel stator puller, fits most off road Yams, and available at most good Mom'n'Pop local M/C shops, about 350 baht ish. About the same price in the UK.

20170612_134755.thumb.jpg.93f79d4b644f813e8357f9c9456053ca.jpg

20170612_134731.thumb.jpg.e206e1d69fcfd78f9c472bca10ab36f0.jpg

The foam air filter oil debate;

Well, in my 40 years of working on motorcycles i have never had a bike with a foam air filter, hence knew nothing about them nor the oil recquired.

I tell ya, and any unbelievers, there is NOTHING like this stuff i have ever come across.

Make sure you have a good supply of surgical gloves handy...

Sticky ! Tacky !

A little goes a long way. I am converted.

990 baht for one litre, Mr Moto Sports, Udon Thani city centre. Bargain.

20170612_151003.thumb.jpg.ced651a367db41786ccf2d42ec42f7cb.jpg20170612_153231.thumb.jpg.aabc72a45b1831270572aab7cfa28315.jpg

Bikes were weighed.

Dry, no fuel, no oil (well, 0.6 of a litre of 10w fork oil per bike don't count).

39/46 front rear ratio = 85 kgs. Both bikes identical. That's 187 lbs in old money.

Slightly disappointed, was hoping for low 80's, 82-83.....

• Like 2

I oil my flters in a large sealable - zip lock - bag that is then kept in a sealed "Tupawear" tub to prevent evaporation. Motul is my prefered brand , or Silkolene. I know you have problems sourcing spares where you are , but my choice of seat colors would be   powder blue , or second , white on the blue bike , and yellow , or second , black on the other. Just depends on what YOU want ( these are your bikes afterall ) and whats available.  85KG is good , but is that with all the speedblocks ?.

• Like 1

Stock for a lot of the bikes around this time, and i still think some are, is the daft, nay stupid factory kick start stop arrangement. The stop is the footrest. Never liked that, wacking the footrest every time the starter comes down. I had a go removing the footpeg return spring and lifting it out the way, but that idea did'nt work because of the lowered brake lever in the way. So i cunningly made that rubber and alloy bump stop visible directly below. Rubber is off a truck shock absorber. Never throw anything away.Works a treat. Kick start lever stops about an inch from the peg now.

20170613_081105.thumb.jpg.9569283390f0a67e7cab72001df685cd.jpg

• Like 2

Great read, thanks. And great looking bikes.

Not even into that, better at falling off them - still enjoyed following the project.

And as said above, wish I had half the skills (and motivation) to carry out such a project.

• Like 1

Well done. Both bikes are superb - i knew they would be . Trying to imagine the bikes with my questionable seat cover color choices.  You may be right !.  Glad you finally mastered the "speed blocks" . Those sump guards / bash plates look heavy duty. does "ol blu" lean over more on the side stand.  Enjoy riding them with your son.

• Like 1

Sorry, had to stop posting earlier on, did'nt realize it was 15 minutes past Chang o clock.

Whatever i do, if i'm home, 5 o clock is stop whatever it is i'm doing and go upstairs onto the balcony, look at the same view i've looked at in the last 12 years, and drink two bottles of Chang and smoke cigarettes and contemplate. Contentedly. Every day.

Couple more...

• Like 2