Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8.0" - where to buy?

SZQddy

Everywhere seems to be selling the LTE version of this tablet. Does anyone know if the Wifi-only version is available to buy here in Bangkok?

I have checked MBK and the usual stores in the big malls. Prices seem to be much higher than other countries. It's around 250-300 USD in the US, 450 SGD in Singapore etc... but 14,500 THB here.

Thanks

2 minutes ago, shady86 said:

I don't think they are selling wifi version here. Also Tab S3 was released recently so I would avoid S2 as price will drop soon

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Oh I see. I mistakenly assumed the S3 had been out for a while already. LTE version is fine so I'll wait for the S2 price to drop. Thanks :)

Samsung Thailand generally does not localize the WiFi-only variants of their tablets (X10).

So I think you want the SM-T710 variant?

I think you'll need to source it off-shore, or locally as a grey-market import if you can find one?

I'm not certain there will be an 8" version of the Tab S3, or maybe it might be introduced in the future?

I'm looking at the iPad Mini 4 as well. Surprisingly it's the same price as the S2 8" (the New iPad is actually even cheaper!). Maybe Samsung will wait to see if Apple introduce the Mini 5 before they release an 8" version of the S3. I'm not really interested in the S3 as it's too heavy, too expensive, I don't really need the pen functionality, and I'm not a fan of glossy/glass back mobile devices. I really like the soft touch plastic of the S2, it's grippier and nicer to hold.

Also, as you mention the larger phone displays, the Note 8 may well come with a 6.4"+ display so that may negate the need for a smaller S3.

I was looking for the newer SM-T713 variant (Wifi-only) but I only found the newer SM-T719 (LTE) for sale. I will never use LTE functionality but guess it may come in handy one day as a backup up device. I'll wait a few weeks to see if the price drops.

I do recommend ipad if you have no issues with ios. I've used both tab S2 and iPad air 2 before and ipad is superior in almost every way except expandable storage. With tab S2, I can't even reach half of ipads endurance.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

There are a lot of options out there! I'm also reading about the Huawei MediaPad M3 which seems like a cheaper premium option. I don't mind spending a little extra for better quality and performance. Although that Samsung Galaxy Tab A seems like an incredibly good deal!

Ideally I'd like something super light and portable which was why I was leaning towards the 8" size. I prefer and use a smaller smartphone (5.1") so 8" seems like a good step up although I'm open to anything around 350g or less. The tablet will be used for general media consumption (internet, reading mags, emails, videos and movies, social media etc.) not for working.

I've never used iOS but I've read that the tablet experience is far superior to Android. I didn't realise the battery life was much better so that's good to know! How is iOS with playing different media files, e.g. MP3s, MP4s, WMV, MKV etc? Will they play without a fuss or does everything need to be converted to a specific format first?

I also have to decide between 4:3 and 16:10 displays. It's not urgent so I'll spend some time this coming week playing around with different tablets on display.

Thanks all for your input :)