Video: Drivers lucky to be alive after high speed crash on the expressway

webfact

1 hour ago, ben2talk said:

Okay - impressive. So you're driving at 120km/h and approach a car at 100 on your right - he can change to your lane in front of you AND give way to you? How does that work? Surely he should let you go past first... Surely he shouldn't be driving slowly in the right lanes if the left lanes are free...

No he must not change lanes because he would be failing to yield right of way to vehicles in the lane he's entering. I don't see why you're having so much trouble understanding this - have you ever driven on a highway before?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, ben2talk said:

This made me laugh. This is someone who doesn't drive around Bangkok too often.

That was a very 'athletic' switch you made ben2talk. The original said 'This made me laugh. This is someone who clearly never drove in Thailand'.

Now had you said that in the first place, I would have conceded the point.

I have not driven in Bangkok, nor do I plan to. I did drive down to Korak recently and the difference in pace between that region and up here in sleepy Issan was very noticeable. The further south we went traffic became much faster and more aggressive.

But isn't true in most countries. The stress of living and working in large conurbations does seem to alter the driving style, for the worse. And having been driven around Bangkok a few times, I can understand why!

18 hours ago, wprime said:

No he must not change lanes because he would be failing to yield right of way to vehicles in the lane he's entering. I don't see why you're having so much trouble understanding this - have you ever driven on a highway before?

This amuses me. In England tend to frown on people who overtake on the 'inside'. If you find someone in a lane to your right driving slower than you, then you would actually pull out behind them and flash your headlights to indicate that they should actually move to the left.

If you are on the inside lane, you have no RIGHT OF WAY to overtake on the inside.

3 hours ago, ben2talk said:

This amuses me. In England tend to frown on people who overtake on the 'inside'. If you find someone in a lane to your right driving slower than you, then you would actually pull out behind them and flash your headlights to indicate that they should actually move to the left.

If you are on the inside lane, you have no RIGHT OF WAY to overtake on the inside.

In Thailand there's no law against passing in a lane on the left.

20 hours ago, Moonlover said:

If one is driving sensibly and defensively, such scenarios should not occur. If a driver wishes to cut in front of me and they often do, they will find plenty of space to do so safely. I then simply drop back into my usual position about 5 to 10 vehicle lengths behind.

I regard 'patience' as being one of the key attributes of safe driving. Something that, as we all know, many people lack in this country.

"such scenarios should not occur", well I was forced off the road by a car who cut in front of me SLASH just entered my lane with his back wheels heading straight for my passenger door. No amount of safe driving saved me from that. I have had many similar "cut ins" over the years. 

On 2017-5-15 at 7:35 AM, kkerry said:

Trouble in Thailand is you almost never see a police highway patrol car other than parked on the side of the road while the driver is nowhere to be seen.

When real VIP's travel through BKK the police can totally clear the roads for them and block all sidestreets. That's their job and they have a big team for it.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

There is... 

Section 34 Land Traffic Act.

As stated there is no law against passing in a lane on the left. Section 45 prohibits passing on the left when there isn't a lane there. 

Edit: I see you pointed out section 34, this is concerned with keeping left, it does not prohibit undertaking either.

Edited by wprime

On 5/15/2017 at 11:33 AM, Crossy said:

Black car was already on the anchors when he passed the camera car, no apparent reason.

I see no evidence of the silver car applying the brakes, racing, probably.

Definitely don't agree about racing - maybe chasing... annoyed in some way possibly by the black car blocking, or previously undertaking and pulling out again in front...

If you're cruising 120km/h in the right lane, overtaking traffic, anyone approaching from behind over the speed limit is likely to get angry... they then FLASH lights. This doesn't mean 'can you see me', it means 'Goo ja pai, Mung pai!'. Generally very aggressive when followed by that car closing up behind. As I learned from my wife, failure to follow an ORDER (remember, the person who gives ORDERS is superior to the one receiving the ORDERS) is an offence punishable with violence and extremem measures (see 'Army Training'). It's normal to make the offender go stand in the 'shit pit' in the sun for a few hours... or just beat them up a bit.

My reaction is to gently let off the power to extend the (2second) front gap and allow for gentle braking. AS I do this, I will also TOUCH the brake pedal to put on the brake lights.

One thing that WILL make me angry is if someone cuts to the inside, overtakes me, then pulls out in front and pushes me back (usually in tailgate traffic...). This is why we like to see traffic police on the roads in England, and I'm pretty sure that if you had a HD Dashcam footage that the police would be interested to take action based on that. I'm very careful about taking action - if traffic is bad, sometimes I'll manoeuvre and box them in later, but generally it's best to be safe. Assume that they're carrying a weapon and are well enough connected to get away with using it. 

However, to always take the conservative/safe measure "Pull over and let them go" is also wrong. As there is NO visible traffic policing (maybe a few cops standing around the toll-booths trying to catch out the odd back-seat passenger with no seatbelt?) then this behaviour is simply completely normal. Unacceptable is accepted.

Listen to the sound of the engine... I drive a 1.2 and it never sounds anything like that unless maybe I push it past 175 and try to beat 180 on a good stretch! This moron should have licence and car taken away, pay extensive damages and be given a suspended sentence.

If it was my car he'd hit, he'd also have a tyre iron to extract from his nether regions.

Edited by ben2talk

On 5/15/2017 at 0:30 PM, ladada said:

Is the bystander driver in the car in the middle lane well enough to attend the shake hands and wai each other session yet?  

ROFLMAO - I forgot that one...

On two occasions I've seen this 'no solution, just smile and make up' approach. Once a case of an agency refusing to pay wages, about 1.5 million baht. The lawyers weren't interested, and the 'thief' just went away to a temple for a month. The second was an unprovoked attack with grevious bodily harm in a Sarasas School which simply said it's not acceptable for either party to be involved, so both must apologise and shake hands and promise to forget the incident... VICTIM included (though just one week later 'someone' arranged to have sand mixed in with the engine oil of his superbike parked in the car-park).

On 5/17/2017 at 4:56 PM, richard_smith237 said:

There is... 

Section 34 Land Traffic Act.

Though it's easy to see that LAW and POLICE don't agree. Let's review the part about certain heavy vehicles/tractors/slow moving bikes being relegated to the left hand lane to allow faster traffic to move past. This doesn't apply when the bike easily manages to reach the speed limit - yet the police are still out there grabbing everyone not riding in the gutter.

The 'Land Traffic Act' exists, it's the understanding and enforcement which are questionable.

On 5/15/2017 at 11:15 AM, ladada said:

Ha.. was the driver behind obeying the 2 seconds rule:

It is important that you keep a good distance between you and the vehicle in front. You may remember the 2 second rule.

Clearly not. It seems he got milliseconds and seconds mixed up

Lol Thailand

probably  cant  count  anyway