Disgusting smell from next door... what can I do?

jak2002003

It's okay saying it's like moving next an airport then complaining but this is a little different I had similar, the land where we built the wife's pad was sold by the next doors wife's family to her, he has always been known as a bad piece of work and suddenly did exactly the same thing with about thirty cows at a time when he or his wife owned a huge piece of land, always putting them smack bang beneath the windows,I love everything about the rural area from chickens crowing early in the morning, when I think to myself, "ah, made it to another day", to all noises coming from birds and cattle, I was brought up in a rural area, what became obvious was when the wife went to collect the 'monthly loan payback' from his wife, that she always conveniently forgot to pay back each month, when asking her why her man always corraled his cattle underneath our bedroom window, she let it out, he wanted to sell some of the land, so,it ended up after halving the price, which was still too high at that time we(I paid) bought a strip all the way down the side and a good sixty, seventy feet plus towards their place, then it came back from the local Thi boozer he was down there crowing about how 'he had done the foreigner up good', the last laughs on him though, the price has gone up three or four times the original worth, I know not one bht will end up in my pocket.

The first day I went to work as a young trainee in a soap manufacturing operation, the smell of old tallow was really revolting. A week in the job and I was ready to toss it in.

A foreman there noticed I was struggling. His advice was to come into work with no breakfast, go right into where the smell was thickest, and take three breaths as deep as I could.

It worked. While I could still smell the tallow, it didn't bother me anymore.

My answer is to move or put up with it. We have a pig farm about 250 meters away from the house. When the wind blows in our direction, it is horrible. The pig farm belongs to the phu yai ban, so it is obvious he is not going to do anything about it. The pig farm is outside the village. On our other side, we have an <deleted> who cooks charcoal. That is against the village ordinance but complaining about that does no good either. The pig stench is always there but fortunately the charcoal maker only does it occasionally. 

On 5/15/2017 at 3:37 PM, saakura said:

There could be another farang in the other corner of the old man's field. 

It could trigger a bidding war. The old man had no idea how profitable buffalo could be.

Building a cow shed near a neighbor's house, especially when other options are available, is definitely a hostile act.

Question for the OP: does anyone have a potential interest, other than the elderly farmer, in driving you off your land, i.e., your "friend?" Not trying to sow seeds of paranoia here, but I have encountered numerous examples of Thais colluding to drive foreigners off of property for financial gain. In my experience, definitely something to consider.

10 hours ago, smotherb said:

Another case of the home owner who buys near an airport and then complains about air traffic noise.

Did you not know your bedroom window was fronting his farmland?

No, this is not like that at all. 

We have lived in this area 10 years.. were very careful to choose the land.... it has been rice fields as far as the eye can see since coming here 20 years ago.  These buffalo were never on this land.  It was just rice fields.  He has been the only farmer to stop growing the rice, and start a buffalo farm... the only one in the entire area!!! Just very unlucky. 

My point was that the farmer has a huge area of land.... why choose to put the stinking wallow right smack bang up to our back wall only 3 meters from our bedroom?  I could get angry and think he did it on purpose as a way to make our lives unpleasant, but I would only be annoying myself, when it's more probable he did not even use his brain or think about it might annoy us.  Maybe the land there is the lowest part.. so the water is easier to keep there?

Anyway, we have our house up for sale now... so hopefully we can move.. but I know the housing market is very slow theses days.  We built this house intending to live in it till the end.. but can't stand this stench! 

In the mean time, I will go to the Tessabaan office and miss out the Village Head Man.. as another poster advised..  I have taken photos of the wallow and how close it is to our house.  Thankfully today has been lots of rain.. and filled it up a bit.. and the cooler weather has made the smell reduce a lot... so maybe can have the windows open tonight the first time in months.

3 hours ago, jak2002003 said:

No, this is not like that at all. 

We have lived in this area 10 years.. were very careful to choose the land.... it has been rice fields as far as the eye can see since coming here 20 years ago.  These buffalo were never on this land.  It was just rice fields.  He has been the only farmer to stop growing the rice, and start a buffalo farm... the only one in the entire area!!! Just very unlucky. 

My point was that the farmer has a huge area of land.... why choose to put the stinking wallow right smack bang up to our back wall only 3 meters from our bedroom?  I could get angry and think he did it on purpose as a way to make our lives unpleasant, but I would only be annoying myself, when it's more probable he did not even use his brain or think about it might annoy us.  Maybe the land there is the lowest part.. so the water is easier to keep there?

Anyway, we have our house up for sale now... so hopefully we can move.. but I know the housing market is very slow theses days.  We built this house intending to live in it till the end.. but can't stand this stench! 

In the mean time, I will go to the Tessabaan office and miss out the Village Head Man.. as another poster advised..  I have taken photos of the wallow and how close it is to our house.  Thankfully today has been lots of rain.. and filled it up a bit.. and the cooler weather has made the smell reduce a lot... so maybe can have the windows open tonight the first time in months.

You built your house close enough to another's land to be affected by whatever was on the other's land. You say he has lots of land, maybe he simply did what many would do, put the smelly stuff away from his house--or maybe he just wants to hassle you.

If all else fails just throw in some red cement die... I did that to a small pond ... thought it would look nice, just a tinge of red.

Locals were horrified ..thought it was blood ...

Wade in and bury a small bag of dye ... bag will burst when stamped on 

Edited by JAS21