Facebook faces imminent shutdown in Thailand: Report

webfact

Facebook in Thailand is not just a social network, whatever you may think of FB (personally I am not a fan of the format and UI) it is also represents the ONLY online presence for many many SME businesses in Thailand.

Shutting it down would have a serious impact on those businesses, their owners and employee's. I hope the powers that be are aware of this.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, petedk said:

They don't want a revolution on their hands.

What on earth would Thai people do without Facebook?

Talk together???

Was in Black Canyon the other day and relatively young husband and wife with her mum i think having coffee. Mum and daughter on mobiles, husband had 2 one above the other. I don't think I heard a word spoken the time they were there. 

Just now, Dazinoz said:

Was in Black Canyon the other day and relatively young husband and wife with her mum i think having coffee. Mum and daughter on mobiles, husband had 2 one above the other. I don't think I heard a word spoken the time they were there. 

Perhaps they were busy online posting something equally as fascinating as this? We are doing exactly the same thing online right now. 

1 hour ago, anotheruser said:

The percentage of content blocked is of no consequence. The government wants to dictate to FB what they can and can not make available. It isn't about a few off color pages but the premise that the Thai government can enforce Thailand's laws on global corporations. This is why FB would rather close down in Thailand than bow down.

Google complied I hope FB does not and it's not about internet usage by Thai's it's about curbing the control of the junta which think s it can dictate, not only to it's own people, but to the world what they can and cannot say

2 minutes ago, Luckysilk said:

Only via the APP

A lot of mega news organizations are picking up the story and showing the images which will most likely mean lots more papers being blocked.

Isn't it wonderful? The boys in control hopping round in agony after shooting themselves in their feet. Makes you wonder how effective they would be as a fighting force.  

Facebook should shut the service down themselves.  Within weeks the people will be furious and the Thai government will be begging Facebook to reactivate all services.  If he thinks he can dictate to Facebook like he does the Thai people, then he is a bigger idiot than people already think.  Are there any intelligent people in the Thai government?

Edited by Phuketboy

2 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

Except for the fact that using a VPN to access blocked content is illegal. So your evil  plan has already been foiled. :)

Did i say it was legal??  But anyway  it works doesn't it, 

They should just end this kind of nonsense talk. I have the easiest solution to this and nothing gets banned or blocked. Levy an outrageously high tax on all internet connections whether they are home, Mobile or whatever. 

When you apply for a connection of any kind you are required to show you have at least 100,000K a month income and at least 3 million in the bank. People with that kind of income and above tend to be good guys anyway and the problem sorts itself out.

3 hours ago, petedk said:

They don't want a revolution on their hands.

What on earth would Thai people do without Facebook?

Talk together???

Everyone will migrate to WhatsApp where the Junta cannot read their posts

4 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

They should just end this kind of nonsense talk. I have the easiest solution to this and nothing gets banned or blocked. Levy an outrageously high tax on all internet connections whether they are home, Mobile or whatever. 

When you apply for a connection of any kind you are required to show you have at least 100,000K a month income and at least 3 million in the bank. People with that kind of income and above tend to be good guys anyway and the problem sorts itself out.

:laugh:

1 minute ago, transam said:
5 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

Yes your onto something how to start a revolution. 

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The Thai Internet Service Provider Association (Tispa) announced that the government was pressuring them to shut off all Thailand access to Facebook with a deadline of as early as 10am Tuesday if the social media giant didn’t remove all the urls dictated by officials, reported Bangkok Post.

In usual Thai manner they should tell Facebook to report to their closest Thai police station at their earliest convenience