RON rating of E85 in Thailand

Thanks for the response, I also feel this figure is low due to the nature of the fuel, maybe it is just a minimum figure.

Does anyone any idea if E85 in Thailand is really only 95 RON or in reality higher?

The reason I would like to know is I am running a JDM engine that is designed to run 98 up. It will run on 95 OK without damage thanks to the knock sensor retarding the ignition but to unlock its full potential I a fuel higher than 95. 

Thanks

E20 has an octane rating of 98-100 as listed here:

http://www.pttplc.com/en/Products-Services/Consumer/For-Vehicle/PTT-Blue-Innovation/Pages/PTT-Gasohol-Blue-E20-Test.aspx  

I would assume E85 would be a lot higher than this. Note that you normally need to adjust your fuel maps to tune for E85. A good compromise is to mix the 95 benzine with E85 to make an E30 mix. It will bring the octane right up without needing to adjust anything in your tune. 

1 hour ago, jay1980 said:

Does anyone any idea if E85 in Thailand is really only 95 RON or in reality higher?

I searched through a couple of sites in Thai language and repeatedly found 105 RON.

(forums, car magazines etc.)

That's all I can write.

Many thanks for the replies.

I am aware of octane booster and where to obtain it, however this is a daily driving car and I think E85 might be a better solution for me, especially as many PTT and Lemon Green filling stations carry it.

I am also aware a remap of my ECU or have a custom piggy back style 'flex fuel' box would be required to adjust the map to suit the fuel. The flex fuel piggy back style box might be the best solution so I can change the map back to run regular petrol should I be somewhere where E85 is not possible to find.

The I would also need to change the fuel pump, fuel hoses and possibly the injectors to suit E85, I would probably need to change the fuel pump and fuel hoses even if I ran a 30% mix of 95 and E85, because my base car currently is only OK with E10. A new fuel pump would probably be a good thing to have anyway though because the JDM engine should make 75% more power than the Thai spec engine I swapped out.

Another advantage of running E85 is lower emissions as I am not running a CAT.

14 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

I searched through a couple of sites in Thai language and repeatedly found 105 RON.

Thanks for this reply, this is also my guess, if posting the links in Thai is against forum rules would it be possible to PM them to me? I can just about read Thai (albeit slowly 555)

Many Thanks again

14 hours ago, madhav said:

Interesting that PTT blue gasohol has a RON rating of 98 up despite being only rated as 95.

I might initially just be able to run this with a just new fuel pump (a mod I was thinking of doing anyway) and maybe new fuel lines, and no update to my ECU or piggyback.

Thanks!

2 hours ago, jay1980 said:

Thanks for this reply, this is also my guess, if posting the links in Thai is against forum rules would it be possible to PM them to me? I can just about read Thai (albeit slowly 555)

You may find this of interest.

https://www.bellperformance.com/blog/bid/112982/Flex-Fuel-Conversion-How-To-Make-A-Car-Go-From-E15-to-E85

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

It's interesting to read that they are quite relaxed about using such a control module for newer cars.

When the price difference between E20 and E85 was very high I was considering to have such a module installed. They were offered for about 6000 Baht or so.

Nowadays the price difference is quite small (24 vs. 20).

Would need about 1500 liters to charge off (about 20'000 km for me).

5 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Thanks for the info, there are a few of these setups available in Thailand,

https://www.facebook.com/E85-GO-Auto-Conversion-Kit-Thailand-711053765609057/

just an example, there are many re-sellers.

I think I would need more than just the piggy back style box for my car though because the ethanol content would eat the existing fuel lines and pump.

If you are thinking of an E85 conversion purely to save money, it is worth remembering that although E85 is cheaper per litre, you will need up to 40% more than regular E10, my reasons for considering a conversion are the increased octane rating, not for a cost saving.

cheers

6 minutes ago, ktm jeff said:

I believe E85 in Thailand contains 70% ethanol. Might be why the RON is low.

was discussing reason for E85 and E20 from PTT being only rated as 95 although the have been tested at 98-99 for E20 and maybe 105 for E85 with a Thai friend today.

He said it was because to certify the higher RON rating it would cost the petrol companies money, could attract higher taxes and all new E85 cars only require 95 anyway so no point for them to officially certify and classify the true (higher) octane rating of the fuel.

Thanks for all the replies so far

4 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

It's interesting to read that they are quite relaxed about using such a control module for newer cars.

When the price difference between E20 and E85 was very high I was considering to have such a module installed. They were offered for about 6000 Baht or so.

Nowadays the price difference is quite small (24 vs. 20).

Would need about 1500 liters to charge off (about 20'000 km for me).

Yeah for me the Rons & the ethanol or 95's , 98's and 102's or more etc etc mean nothing to me it's whether or not the engine you have is capable of running trouble free on whatever fuel you use, that all.

7 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Give a thought to these guys - http://www.motec.com/home -

For a stand alone ECU. Many types of motorsports use their products. Options almost unlimited.

Will probably just go for a e85 flex fuel type set up initially.

I agree Motec has a decent reputation, thanks for the link.

That said if I did go for a piggy back or standalone I would probably go with GReddy, not because I think it is better than Motec, or other aftermarket setups like Haltech etc, but because I know BMS Pro-dyno in BKK has GReddy software,  a rolling road and experience mapping my engine type here.

cheers

Archived