Video: Who believes the driver who says he didn't know he collided with a motorbike?

webfact

7 hours ago, neeray said:

What I see is the pick up making an abrupt, "screw you, me first" turn after cutting in front of the motorcycle who was riding along minding his own business. 

riding along minding his own business.  Big mistake! Here or anywhere.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If both drivers had undertaken a half decent training course to learn how to drive and had then used those lessons whilst driving every day this wouldn't have happened. An avoidable accident

So the blame isn't so much the drivers, but the system that continues to allow poorly trained drivers by the thousand out on the road without the necessary skills to avoid such accidents. Clearly neither is particularly skillful, but they have both met the criteria for being responsible for a motorised vehicle in Thailand, which appears to be; I have a pulse. 

If you give an infant a gun and it shoots itself - who is to blame the infant or the person who gave it the gun - odd analogy but hopefully it serves its purpose. 

Hope the motorbike rider is okay as he really whacked his helmetless head on the floor when he hit the deck. 

20 hours ago, wirat69 said:

When undertaking meet the undertaker 

primary fault was was electrical failure resulting in indicator lights failing to indicate!!

its called overtaking means passing a slower vehicle on the middle of the road , not undertaking  in the gutter , follow the Rules this shit wont happen

1 minute ago, DieterWiehe said:

its called overtaking means passing a slower vehicle on the middle of the road , not undertaking  in the gutter , follow the Rules this shit wont happen

Thank you very much for clarifying undertaking versus overtaking. I have never heard of passing a vehicle referred to as "undertaking" before. 

But I saw it so often re this topic, including by a moderator, I figured it was a Thai term, maybe British. 

I am Canadian. In North America, we certainly refer to it as "overtaking". 

Again, thanks for "undertaking" clarity. 

24 minutes ago, neeray said:

Thank you very much for clarifying undertaking versus overtaking. I have never heard of passing a vehicle referred to as "undertaking" before. 

But I saw it so often re this topic, including by a moderator, I figured it was a Thai term, maybe British. 

Undertaking seems to have three meanings according to the Oxford Dictionary. (regarded by most as the 'bible of the English language'.

1. A formal pledge to do something.

2. A task that is taken on.

3. (And this one made me giggle a bit) The business of managing funerals. (Appropriate or what?)

There is no mention of passing other vehicles.

21 hours ago, seajae said:

no indicator to let anyone know he was turning but that is typical for many  drivers here, you have to guess what they are going to do. He started to overtake then just turned so the driver has broken the law, lets hope the police actually chase him down and issue a bloody big fine as well as make him pay restitution to the bike rider

You might want to check your glasses, the most remarkable thing in that video is that he was clearly indicating. 

4 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Undertaking seems to have three meanings according to the Oxford Dictionary. (regarded by most as the 'bible of the English language'.

3. (And this one made me giggle a bit) The business of managing funerals. (Appropriate or what?)

Thank you. That is exactly how I would make use of the "undertake". 

But the frequent use of it here "overtook" me temporarily. 

10 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Undertaking is slang meaning passing on the inside lane.

5 minutes ago, wprime said:

Undertaking is slang meaning passing on the inside lane.

Precisely., but more correctly a misuse. Slang is a way of speaking, such as the 'cockney slang' of London.

Edited by Moonlover

9 hours ago, berybert said:

As my above post.  The car driver passed the bike then cut him up to make his turn.  You are an accident investigator ?

You claim he tried to undertake the car, I claim he was braking when he saw  the car was going to  cut him up. If he had been trying to undertake he wouldn't have fallen off at the back of the car. He would have been rolled under the wheels and pancaked.

I examined the video again and you are correct.  I can't explain why I missed the first few seconds when the car came into view. The operator of the car clearly, gradually, moved from the fast lane to the slow lane cutting the motorcycle. I remember first seeing the car in the slow lane.  Perhaps my attention was diverted or a senior moment!  Thank you for bringing that to my attention.  

I wish the video depicted a view about 7 seconds prior to see if the speed of the motorcycle was too fast for conditions and try to determine when the bike operator began braking to determine if there was contributory negligence. Sometimes inexperienced motorcycle operators fail to utilize the front brake properly for maximum breaking.

The impact was so slight i think it's possible that the truck driver didn't realise what had happened. Apart from that i don't have any sympathy with the bike rider. When will Thais learn that you DON'T overtake on the inside

7 hours ago, neeray said:

Well in Europe we drive on the proper side of the road .if a Motorcyclist overtakes on the Shoulder of the road he will be fined .and most drivers there understand that it is very dangerous to "undertake" sorry for using the Thai term :partytime2:   

10 hours ago, Moonlover said:

If you live in Thailand undertaking means you pass on the left hand side of The road whether there is a lane or not bearing in mind we drive on the left here , normal on 3-4 lane highway, you can stick to the right hand lane and expect someone doing 180 kms pass you on the left, also bear in mind you can drive as fast as you like with no consequences from the cops.

10 hours ago, Paul Collins said:

The impact was so slight i think it's possible that the truck driver didn't realise what had happened. Apart from that i don't have any sympathy with the bike rider. When will Thais learn that you DON'T overtake on the inside

You pick a year, I'm not prepared to think that number of years ahead.

???

10 hours ago, Kabula said:

I examined the video again and you are correct.  I can't explain why I missed the first few seconds when the car came into view. The operator of the car clearly, gradually, moved from the fast lane to the slow lane cutting the motorcycle. I remember first seeing the car in the slow lane.  Perhaps my attention was diverted or a senior moment!  Thank you for bringing that to my attention.  

I wish the video depicted a view about 7 seconds prior to see if the speed of the motorcycle was too fast for conditions and try to determine when the bike operator began braking to determine if there was contributory negligence. Sometimes inexperienced motorcycle operators fail to utilize the front brake properly for maximum breaking.

Grab the front brake when the bike is not going in a straight line and the video shows the result. Inexperience and no proper training and this is the result as shown.

8 hours ago, trigpoint said:

Very obvious the Moto bike was to blame, he drove into the side of the pick up, I drive trucks and Moto bike here you should know how to drive given the mentality of Thai driving.

Look again, the pickup cut across from the right lane and braked in front. When you make a lane change you must yield to vehicles already in that lane. 

9 hours ago, trigpoint said:

If you live in Thailand undertaking means you pass on the left hand side of The road whether there is a lane or not bearing in mind we drive on the left here , normal on 3-4 lane highway, you can stick to the right hand lane and expect someone doing 180 kms pass you on the left, also bear in mind you can drive as fast as you like with no consequences from the cops.

Not a good English lesson and a truly awful driving lesson. :smile:

On 5/18/2017 at 1:59 PM, seajae said:

no indicator to let anyone know he was turning but that is typical for many  drivers here, you have to guess what they are going to do. He started to overtake then just turned so the driver has broken the law, lets hope the police actually chase him down and issue a bloody big fine as well as make him pay restitution to the bike rider

Look good , his indicator was on.

The motorbike was in the wrong overtaking him on the left side.

To many people on the road don't understand what danger they bring themselves in when driving in the blind spot of a car.

I see it every day with Thai and foreigners.

The pickup was indication. 
The motorcyclist tried to undertake.
It was 100% the motorcyclists fault. 

Now, to the question. Who believes the pickup driver saying he didn't notice the bike ?
Well, he must have been sleeping not to notice, but I believe that the pickup driver didn't notice that a bike had hit him. 

That said - the pickup driver 'should' have checked his mirrors before maneuvering....  I still believe this accident is 100% the fault of the motorcyclist. 

... And without HELMET.

On 5/19/2017 at 0:32 PM, Kabula said:

I agree.

There is no evidence to suggest that the guy on the 'bike was at fault - whilst the video footage clearly shows the truck cutting across the left hand lane (regardless of oncoming traffic) to enter the gas station.

If only there was several seconds of earlier video available there's a possibility of that footage providing an opportunity to show that the guy on the 'bike was 'driving too fast/didn't brake early or well enough'/defensively enough (to avoid the truck cutting across his lane) etc. etc. - and then it might be possible to blame the 'bike rider of contributory negligence! :saai:

Its so annoying when the actual footage only shows the truck driver being responsible.....

Edited by dick dasterdly

4 hours ago, terminatorchiangmai said:

Look good , his indicator was on.

The motorbike was in the wrong overtaking him on the left side.

To many people on the road don't understand what danger they bring themselves in when driving in the blind spot of a car.

I see it every day with Thai and foreigners.

Firstly, there is no law in Thailand against overtaking on the left. Secondly, it can't even be established that that's what he's doing. The pickup was in the right lane so the most reasonable conclusion is that he was overtaking the motorbike. Then the pickup driver sees a turn he wants, cuts across the lane while braking to make the turn which is why the motorbike had more speed than the pickup a the time of impact.

There are many scenarios you can think up that would make the motorbike at fault but the most reasonable one makes the pickup 100% at fault for the accident.

ATENTION ! Watching the video again, I notice that something stands out from the back side of the truck that make the driver fall. Am I wrong?
Please, check the video again![emoji50]

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

ATENTION ! Watching the video again, I notice that something stands out from the back side of the truck that make the driver fall. Am I wrong?
Please, check the video again![emoji50]

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

IMG_0432.PNG