60 supercars seized in tax evasion probe

snoop1130

60 supercars seized in tax evasion probe

By Angsuma Sridokkham
The Nation

695ec27e5365806f84ef234d5e59b47b-sld.jpeg

As part of an investigation into alleged tax evasion, the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) seized 60 supercars from a major car importer on Thursday.

Some 40 Lamboghinis and 20 supercars of various brands were seized from Niche Cars Group's four-storey showroom in Suan Luang district on suspicion of tax evasion, said DSI deputy chief Pol Lt-Colonel Kornwat Panprapakorn who led the search.

The owner of the cars will have to submit evidence to explain the legitimacy of the cars later, he added. Kornwat was accompanied by DSI financial and banking division director Pol Lt-Colonel Pakorn Suchiwakul during the search. 

Reporters were told that details of the operation would be announced in a press conference tomorrow. 

The seizures were part of the warranted operation to search nine locations across Bangkok. They included the Niche Cars Group's showroom at Siam Paragon mall, an apartment in Soi Ramkhamhaeng 105/1 where an accountant stayed, a house in Muang Samut Prakan belonging to a company executive, two houses in Bang Kapi area, a car tent on Praditmanutham Road in Bang Kapi, and STT Auto Car's two showrooms in Huai Kwang and Klong Ton.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30315611

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-5-18

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Niche Cars on tax evasion.. that's a blow. I doubt there is anything dodgy going on. 

The owner was just in Italy test driving the new McLaren 720s and they are the official importer of Lamborghini and McLaren in Thailand to my knowledge. Just like Cavalino Motors for Ferrari. 

I think the owner might still be in Italy... coincidence ?! 

Edited by JerryinTH

8 hours ago, USPatriot said:

I thought customs inspected the,cars and then taxes are paid before the cars are released.

I want the lotus Elise is it possible to get it for the taxes owed

Only if you're in uniform.

10 hours ago, USPatriot said:

I thought customs inspected the,cars and then taxes are paid before the cars are released.

Yes they do, but since the whole thing is not on the up and up level,

the custom doesn't guarantee that you'll not going to have issues

down the line with other agencies...

I'm going to start saving for one of those Lambos when they come

up for auction soon......

11 hours ago, USPatriot said:

customs is reported to be the second most corrupt govt office in thailand after the land office. they are in on the scam. i know people who have dealt with customs and they are outright criminals. i would never import anything into thailand. importing luxury cars into thailand as parts to avoid taxes is supposedly very very common.

9 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Maybe they should be looking at the buyers of these expensive cars

for tax evasion too.

regards worgeordie

What would that achieve? Upholding the law? That's for the poor and any enemies. 

Christmas has come early for the criminally enabled in this country. 

17 minutes ago, mikebell said:

110 local officials are reported as being involved in this scam!  One hundred and ten!  How long will it take to get even one into court?  Will any of them lose their jobs/pensions/savings?

Hey! That's not fair. These people didn't buy their positions to earn a government salary. They bought into the gravy train. 

Wouldnt  want one here in Thailand. If it's doesn't get stolen you get scratches and dents or some jealous ahole keying it. And where can you drive it to its full potential. It's just a status symbol. Hey look at me.

2 hours ago, Toshiba66 said:

I heard they are imported in parts and assembled here to avoid tax but could be Bar talk. 

They bring them in without the rear view mirrors.  They add those in Thailand.

Mostly it's because they fit better on the ship, but it has the added bonus of mitigating taxes because of all the local labor done to put them back on...

And yes, I am taking the piss. (Edit: Closer to guessing, really.)

Edited by impulse

1 hour ago, Beats56 said:

Wouldnt  want one here in Thailand. If it's doesn't get stolen you get scratches and dents or some jealous ahole keying it. And where can you drive it to its full potential. It's just a status symbol. Hey look at me.

Quite the opposite. You can park where ever you want, people kiss your feet at all times and even don't splash your car in Songkran in Pattaya. 

Experienced it first hand in Pattaya and it was just an old Ferrari 360..not mine tho.

12 hours ago, JerryinTH said:

Niche Cars on tax evasion.. that's a blow. I doubt there is anything dodgy going on. 

The owner was just in Italy test driving the new McLaren 720s and they are the official importer of Lamborghini and McLaren in Thailand to my knowledge. Just like Cavalino Motors for Ferrari. 

I think the owner might still be in Italy... coincidence ?! 

So the rich people don't do tax evasion in your book?

Ask yourself why, especially in Thailand, they got THAT rich in the first place.

Coincidence why the owner is still in Thailand? May be he got info and considered it safer to be there.

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

Yes they do, but since the whole thing is not on the up and up level,

the custom doesn't guarantee that you'll not going to have issues

down the line with other agencies...

I'm going to start saving for one of those Lambos when they come

up for auction soon......

Could be a possibility that the invoice used was suspected of not being kosher.  If they are pre owned Lambos they would not be at new price anyway so that may be a misunderstanding.  Time may never tell us the full story no matter what the outcome is.

Niche Car is so big (untouchable) , even if they were involved in anything, nothing would come out of it and it will be business as usual. 

Some heads will roll for the bad press and the interruption of business but the people who buy cars in that price bracket won't go to another dealer because of the incident. They laugh about it and it's business as usual. 

2 hours ago, Toshiba66 said:

I heard they are imported in parts and assembled here to avoid tax but could be Bar talk.

Did they seize the Ferrari used to kill the poor Policeman? That would have made as much sense. 

It's repaired and in 'prestine' condition. 

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

110 local officials are reported as being involved in this scam!  One hundred and ten!  How long will it take to get even one into court?  Will any of them lose their jobs/pensions/savings?

Where did you read that? 

110 local officials involved in the raid or in the 'assumed' tax evasion racket?