Swedish prosecutor says to drop Assange investigation

Jonathan Fairfield

2 hours ago, RandG said:

It is unlikely that the Swedes would have allowed his extradition to the US and it it is also unlikely that Obama would have requested it. Now the Swedes are out of the loop, and Trump is in power, there is a much higher chance of the US requesting it, and the UK accepting it, so he might be in his little spare room for a while yet. Should have faced up to the charges in Sweden if he was innocent as he says.

In which case, it should have been easy for both the Swedish and US authorities to confirm that they would not allow/request extradition.  They were both very coy on this point - refusing to confirm or deny.

The 'story' continues as the Brit. authorities have confirmed that even though Sweden has decided not to pursue charges, they are still looking to arrest Assange for 'jumping' bail - and it doesn't take a great deal of thought to assume that once in custody, the US would then ask for extradition - that would be quickly granted....

35 minutes ago, Retiredandhappyhere said:

What on earth are you drinking?  I want to make sure that I don't drink any of the same. Your post must surely qualify as the most biased political comment on here at least.........since your last one.

We are all guilty of bias - each and every one of us, and that includes you. What would be helpful would be for you to offer something in the way of rebuttal to my comment, rather than simply insinuating that I am deluded through alcohol. Is it simply a case of you having nothing to say on why you think I am wrong?

As long as the US has an ax to grind your head is on the chopping block. I think your a hero they not so much so. They want to make an example of you and shoot you at dawn to stop all other whistle blowers from coming forth. The fear factor is the new button governments now push to keep you in line. Fear of loosing your job friends and family. Your a prisoner today locked inside your own body. 

5 hours ago, Fulwell53 said:

Let's get on with prosecuting real criminals and warmongers like bush junior, blair and trump.

Hey man….I don't recall mr trump having committed a single crime in office till now…like starting a war on false pretences, lying to the world and being responsible for millions of deaths.

The other two on your list are fair game.

3 hours ago, RandG said:

It is unlikely that the Swedes would have allowed his extradition to the US and it it is also unlikely that Obama would have requested it. Now the Swedes are out of the loop, and Trump is in power, there is a much higher chance of the US requesting it, and the UK accepting it, so he might be in his little spare room for a while yet. Should have faced up to the charges in Sweden if he was innocent as he says.

" It is unlikely that the Swedes would have allowed his extradition to the US "

That is nothing more than your own opinion. I firmly believe he would have been transferred from Sweden and that wouldn't have even required formal extradition for the reasons explained here

Julian Assange went through the entire British Judicial system to avoid extradition to Sweden on charges which are taken seriously by both jurisdictions. Both jurisdictions are about as free from political interference as you can get. When he realised he was going to be extradited ( to Sweden not the USA ) he jumped bail (costing his pals who had put up the funds rather a lot of money) and took up residence under the stairs in the Ecuador Embassy.

The extradition was nothing to do with Wiki leaks, nor would/will be his arrest for jumping bail.