Tsunami Donations Get Stolen In Thailand

The Skipper

300 million Bath donated by Dutch citizens.

60% of it was used as travel expenses by some Thai agency's.

In the papers (Dutch) it is told that it is a very sensitive issue with many high governement officials involved.

People right's groups demand an explanation and taking this to court.

Stealing money from people that want to help those that lost everything due to a natural disaster.

Those that did steal, should be punished in public by hanging them at the balls or boobs for at least a week.

:o

According to news reports (BBC and UK Daily Telegraph) many countires have only paid up a fraction of what they promised.

That is even more despicable.

and I think - even less surprising! :o

but what a propaganda campaign they've made! whole bidding has been started - who'll PLEADGE more - not necessarily GIVE. even 2 former US presidents came all over here for show off....

its the same story whenever there is a disaster - instant media exposure for all sorts of govt figures looking to keep a positive face etc etc

the pledges go the same way as most of the new "policies" that they will implement once they are elected - down the toilet :o

I do not talk about what governements have promised.

I know that Dutch people have donated about 600 Million Bath.

This money is stolen by people that do not care about others, only themselves.

These people responsible should be punished.

It is a shame and a big loose of face for Thai people.

Some Thai People tell you they are Budhist but in real life they are not.

Shame on them!!!

Alex

I don't know how much was pledged by each country or how much was recieved but I do know that a theft like this, in a civilised 1st world country, would be investigated and the culprits brought to justice.

Unfortunately this won't happen in Thailand ,yet,and until it does the rest of the world will keep thinking that the LOS is still a 3rd world trailer trash country who's government have big hands and no ears.

Shame :o

If I was in charge of the donations of a country, I'd pledge a total, then give in stages, checking if the money gets stolen or wasted, and if so I'd stop giving... :o

Thats a great post.

Many of us around the world wanted to donate. Money and items were sent, but not in an organised way and not, in many cases, through honorable routes.

Theres a mixture of small keen to help groups, that are lambs to the slaugher at the hands of Thai greed, and many NGO's and larger charities that use a lot of money on political posturing and furthering their charities interrests at great cost to the donators and the needy receipients.

Really is hard to come up with an answer, and it is hoped that the message about corruption and theft falls on some ears that can make a difference.

Many gifts were for specific projects as I understand it, and these really should have been followed up.

PS shame for the shortfall in donations. Governments have embassies here and should be able to donate and check on progress etc.

These so called charities are tax exempt and are financially unaccountable to anyone probably only 10% of what is collected gets to where it is supposed to go

a money launderers dream.The money finishes up in western banks. Follow the money trail from the West and you finish up where you started.

The best way to donate is with your body if possible. Getting your a$$ to the disaster site and sweating in the hot sun by pulling boards off victims, serving food to the hungry, and water to the injured. I had several farang friends who jumped right into action within hours of the disaster and the long-term taste left in their mouths is certainly much sweeter than the monetary donors whose gifts went awry. At least as on-site volunteers they could see where their efforts were going. At our school, we gave blood, which we hope went to the intended victims.

I think the Israelis, who immediately sent dog-sniffing teams to find vicitims also feel a lot better than the Dutch who sent 600 million baht which now sits in the personal pockets of some government fat-cat.

Edited by toptuan

Thailand to probe alleged misuse of tsunami donations

By Manager Online 27 December 2006 11:18

Thailand will probe an alleged misuse of money donated by the United States and six European nations to help identify victims of the 2004 tsunami, a senior police official said Monday.

"We will investigate what we have spent their money on," General Kowit Watana, national police chief, told AFP.

Earlier, the English-daily Nation said more than 60 percent of tsunami funds worth 60 million baht (1.6 million dollars) were "wasted and disguised as travelling and other miscellaneous costs."

"To be frank, someone has stolen our citizens' money," one source was quoted by the Nation as saying.

The United States, Britain, Finland, France, Germany, Sweden and the Netherlands, which had contributed to the fund, sent a joint complaint to the Thai police, urging them to launch an investigation, the daily said.

After the tsunami, the largest international forensics operation ever assembled began working along Thailand's southern Andaman coast to identify the dead.

In Thailand, some 5,400 people were killed by the giant waves, and roughly half of the victims were foreign holidaymakers.

On Tuesday, Thailand is to mark the second anniversary of the Indian Ocean tsunami, which killed about 220,000 people in 11 countries.

The best way to donate is with your body if possible. Getting your a$$ to the disaster site and sweating in the hot sun by pulling boards off victims, serving food to the hungry, and water to the injured. I had several farang friends who jumped right into action within hours of the disaster and the long-term taste left in their mouths is certainly much sweeter than the monetary donors whose gifts went awry. At least as on-site volunteers they could see where their efforts were going. At our school, we gave blood, which we hope went to the intended victims.

I think the Israelis, who immediately sent dog-sniffing teams to find vicitims also feel a lot better than the Dutch who sent 600 million baht which now sits in the personal pockets of some government fat-cat.

The Dutch not only sent money, they were the first official team trained in disaster victim coordination and recovery I saw when working in Phuket as volunteer. Perhaps the first coordinated effort in Phuket was by religious group Youth with a Mission. The Thailand farangs were very conspicuously present in helping out with the tsunami.

While I was interviewing the victims a Norwegian lady told me how she was washed out to sea by tsunami. She was hurt but picked up by a fishing boat, stripped off her jewelry and kept on board the boat as long as there were as yet unplundered bodies floating around. Only after having processed all bodies in the bay the fishermen let her ashore. Even while it all was happening the ugly sights appeared. I had a blog about it but have now taken it down.

Stealing from the needy? Stealing started already when the first wave retreated.

Edited by Far Angst

The best way to donate is with your body if possible. Getting your a$$ to the disaster site and sweating in the hot sun by pulling boards off victims, serving food to the hungry, and water to the injured.

Agreed but only if available at the site in the immediate aftermath. I am sure the authorities had plenty to cope with without plane loads of well intentioned volunteers, they had enough journos to deal with all trying to get the best pics and stories. Untrained and uncoordinated people trying to help can end up doing more harm than good, be a danger to themselves and generally get in the way.

But to get back on topic, stories like this only make it harder for charities to raise funds in general and for specific disasters in the future. You can bet your bottom dollar the gutter press are having a field day over this, as well as all the bar room expert commentators.

PM instructs NSC to reveal details of the Tsunami expense sheet

The Prime Minister has instructed the National Security Council to reveal the details of the tsunami expense sheet.

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanon said that he had instructed the Royal Thai Police to look after the matter. Already 6 diplomatic envoys from different nations have called on the Thai government to reveal details of what has been done to aid the Tsunami victims. Gen Surayud said that the matter was not seen as a major problem as there may have been some confusion in how the tsunami fund should be allocated during the political turmoil. The Prime Minister also believes that the matter would not affect Thailand's public image.

The Prime Minister also affirmed that the state has put its full effort into providing aid to victims of the Tsunami. Gen Surayud added that areas still affected by the tsunami would be assisted by the government.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 27 December 2006

Royal Thai Police are carrying on the investigation of oversea donations for tsunami victims

Royal Thai Police commissioner-general Kowit Wattana is ready for the government to inspect the financial donation worth 60 million baht given by foreigners to tsunami victims.

Currently, Royal Thai Police deputy commissioner-general Isaraphan Sanitwong Na Ayutthaya is the chairman of the committee for investigating this case, and abnormality has not been found yet. Pol. Gen. Kowit said foreign officials are also cooperating with this investigation committee, and reevaluation on the details will also be conducted.

He said the investigation will be transparent and opened for people to check for ambiguity.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 29 December 2006

• 1 month later...

UPDATE

TSUNAMI DONATIONS

Where did the money go, asks USA

Envoy renews call for probe into allegations of misuse of funds

American Ambassador Ralph Boyce has renewed inquiries about the Bt88 million in donations to help the Thai Tsunami Disaster Victim Identification (TTVI) in identifying bodies and transporting them to their families, a source said yesterday.

Last November, an inquiry about the money - that was suspected to have been misused - was filed to then national police chief Gen Kowit Wattana by ambassadors of Finland, Germany, the Netherlands, Sweden, England, the United States and France, but they received no reply. Boyce then made inquiries with acting national police chief Gen Seripisut Temiyavej on February 14.

In Boyce's letter, the American Embassy thanked police efforts to probe an allegation of donation money abuse and offered to use the leftover funds to cover the expenses of an inspection of the TTVI accounting procedures and records.

It also said hiring law firm Baker & McKenzie to audit TTVI's accounts might not be the best option to ease the doubts of the international community. Other well-known firms which have no auditing limitations would be more appropriate.

The letter also called for clarity about TTVI's future moves, as there were still 402 bodies not yet identified. Since TTVI had on February 5 said it might wind up soon due to a shortage of staff, the seven ambassadors raised concern as they wanted it to continue until its mission was complete.

National Police Deputy Commissioner-General Isaraphan Sanitwong na Ayuthaya, who headed the donation money investigation, said the findings were submitted to Seripisut on February 16.

He declined to give the result, saying Seripisut should disclose the details.

The Nation

Last November, an inquiry about the money...was filed to then national police chief Gen Kowit Wattana by ambassadors of Finland, Germany, the Netherlands, Sweden, England, the United States and France, but they received no reply.

Go get 'em BOYCE!

The lack of action described in the above quotation is despicable arrogance on Thailand's part. Until they get their house in order, not a baht of further aid should make its way to these shores.

It's a shame for those in the most desperate need, but they are unfortunate victims of (and it's been said before...) a government with big hands and no ears. The international community's hands are really tied.

God help Thailand in the next disaster. No western government, in their right minds, would/should repeat this mistake again.

Edited by toptuan

The unfortunate knock on effect is that with next natural disaster the millions of ordinary folks who donated money, that many couldn't really afford, with think "sod that, look waht happened last time".

But of equal disgrace and a cause of shame to Thailand are the massive land grabs that took place in the affected areas by the high and mighty. Fortunately for Thailand's reputation that didn't get much media attention worldwide but it's still a national disgrace.

Nice all the media coverage in the West.

Hello we are Thai and steal part of your money! Welcome to our beautiful country!

It is hardly unusual that in such desasters people start looting. Opportunity makes the thief. That happens everywhere, in the west as well.

It is difficult to describe when one hasn't been there, but there were massive amounts of money and objects of worth around without anyone guarding it. In many of the affected locations money was lying around, floating in the wind, hotel safes were obviously left unguarded. What do you expect - the equivalent of a lifetime of salaries was there for the taking, and nobody to stop people from taking it?

As is natural in such extreme situations - it brings out the best and the worst in people. Yes, you had the looters, but you also had people working around the clock. In Pang Nga province there were in he first three days or so only about 200 rescue volonteers, no army, no police (they came later), and they were supplemented with locals who often lost many members of their families.

I remember one truck driver in particular, he drove with his own truck corpses, from early morning to late night, and he lost half of his family.

Probably jumping the gun, but part of the problem is the system mandated by the donors themselves as a condition to the aid package.

Any funds administered by USAid is mandated by law (At least as of 2005) to use NGO's as the conduit for the funds to the public. Before I start my rant, let me say that there are many good NGO's doing some great work. That being said, the majority are not....... These funds can be transfered from an NGO to a For-profit company for compensation for work & products or used by the NGO for salaries, living expenses or transportation as long as they don't make a profit. The NGO may receive up to 50% of the contract cost at signing.

Do you see where this is going?

Here in Afghanistan, Louis Berger International was tasked by USAid to administer the aid package. LB is not an NGO so was paid by the USAid General budget for consulting services. They administered the funds on behalf of USAid. A contract was let for around $23,000,000 to construct medical clinics throughout the country. The duration of the contract was 12 months and 46 medical facilities were to be constructed to a specific design and outfitted with specific equipment. Results at the 12 month target date were a LITTLE disapointing, a total of 3 clinics were actually in operation and 5 more were constructed but not outfitted. The NGO had been receiving funds for progress payments on progress that never happened.

Why?, the NGO had run out of money..........

A USAid audit showed that the NGO had a foreign staff of 20+ all of which were earning $12,000/Month or more. The staff was entiteled to R&R leave every 6 weeks in their home countries. The NGO was paying in excess of $50,000/month for accomodations in Afghanistan. The list went on and on and on...... If that wasn't bad enough, every structure that had been constructed was sub-standard and nowhere close to the design criterea as set forth in the contract. The audit questioned as to what exactly did the staff of the NGO actually do?

The audit raised a few eyebrows and only a few changes to the system. LB was fired. The NGO in question was fired and blacklisted. You might think that this is an isolated instance, it isn't. The magnitude is unique but the core system remains.

On any Thursday night you can still go to Kabul International Airport and watch the line of NGO staff boarding the airplanes for Dubai where they will spend the weekend, at the NGO's expense of course.......

Where did the money go? Go figure.......... until such time as the donated funds are treated the same way as personal funds the abuse will continue. Until the NGO system is eliminated and the accountability is placed on the profit margin (Hard money contract) the abuses will continue.

Just my thoughts...... :o

It's a disgrace. But it's not like something like this never happened in the West.

"Red Cross Workers Accused of Katrina Fraud"

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5071138

Anyway, I hope they will catch the culprits soon.

I know you have to defend your country and all that but the response it happens elsewhere is pretty piss poor for a supposed educated man if I may say so.

This is a national disgrace and instead of pointing out penny stealing by a few elsewhere i would be hanging my head in shame as a thai because of the corruption, greed and theft taken place by Thai bigwigs as shown above from the needy in their most dire need.

People of the world gave freely to help these people and its probably ended up as Mecerdes, nmia noi's and new business dealing for corrup police and officials.

You answer is "Its not only Thailand" - just look at the scale of cirruption in your country fro top to bottom. Sorry but you are in a piss poor state and sending .0001% to get educated oversea's is not going to pull you out of the mire you create for yourselves - look at FDI going elsewhere?

Nice all the media coverage in the West.

Hello we are Thai and steal part of your money! Welcome to our beautiful country!

It is hardly unusual that in such desasters people start looting. Opportunity makes the thief. That happens everywhere, in the west as well.

It is difficult to describe when one hasn't been there, but there were massive amounts of money and objects of worth around without anyone guarding it. In many of the affected locations money was lying around, floating in the wind, hotel safes were obviously left unguarded. What do you expect - the equivalent of a lifetime of salaries was there for the taking, and nobody to stop people from taking it?

As is natural in such extreme situations - it brings out the best and the worst in people. Yes, you had the looters, but you also had people working around the clock. In Pang Nga province there were in he first three days or so only about 200 rescue volonteers, no army, no police (they came later), and they were supplemented with locals who often lost many members of their families.

I remember one truck driver in particular, he drove with his own truck corpses, from early morning to late night, and he lost half of his family.

I think he might have been talking about the stealing of aid monies and not hotels safes and valuables from dead bodies.