Jump to content

passport out of date


Recommended Posts

my passport runs out 06-11-2017    i got email today from travel agent to tell ask to provide vital info to allow me to travel back home tomorrow, i needed to give expiry date on my passport to them so i have just sent them this info.

 

surely 6 months left on my passport is sufficent ?   i travel home to ireland tomorrow with qatar airlines.

 

concerned 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not sure whether I understand correct:

You are in Thailand and want to travel to Ireland holding an Irish passport?

You stopover/transit(!)  in Doha only?

 

Under these conditions I can hardly think of a reason why you would be stopped.

(assuming you have no issues with Thai permission to stay/visa)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

thanks guys im in thailand travelling to ireland 22 may, doha stop over

 

another reson for this concern is that on my way here 3 weeks ago in dublin airport the guy from qatar desk told me that i was lucky to have 7 months remaining on my passport as if i had shorter validity i would not be allowed to board.   this threw me !!   i thought that even if i had say 1 month left on passport and wanted to go to thailand for a week then i would have no problems so there is some questions i need answering regarding this if it changes from airline to airline or different immigrations will allow travel or not allow.

 

seems a grey area ?  to me now anyway 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, pumpjack said:

the guy from qatar desk told me that i was lucky to have 7 months remaining on my passport as if i had shorter validity i would not be allowed to board

To my last knowledge this 6 month requirement has been dropped since long.

Valid until the planned time of travel (according to the booking).

But then the "fun" starts: Wrong, look up the data! I want to speak to a supervisor! etc. pp.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

To my last knowledge this 6 month requirement has been dropped since long.

Correct for those from most counties that qualify for visa exempt entries but not all countries. Some still need 6 months validity to enter Thailand.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2017-5-21 at 7:51 AM, ubonjoe said:

Correct for those from most counties that qualify for visa exempt entries but not all countries. Some still need 6 months validity to enter Thailand.

i travelled out with etihad from dublin and staff at checkin looked at my passport and told me i was very lucky as if i was flying out a month later they would not let me fly, i questioned this and guy also asked his colleague and colleaque told me that this morning they refused someone else who did not have the 6 month validity on his passport. 

 

maybe changes with different airlines

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, pumpjack said:

i questioned this and guy also asked his colleague and colleaque told me that this morning they refused someone else who did not have the 6 month validity on his passport. 

Out of curiosity, what is the reason for this rule ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Out of curiosity, what is the reason for this rule ?

Some countries have rather liberal maximum stay permissions for certain nationalities. However, some of those countries may not want visitors to stay indefinitely, end up with expired travel documents, run out of cash, overstay, get sick, avail themselves of local medical care and become an expensive liability.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Some countries have rather liberal maximum stay permissions for certain nationalities. However, some of those countries may not want visitors to stay indefinitely, end up with expired travel documents, run out of cash, overstay, get sick, avail themselves of local medical care and become an expensive liability.

But you can get a PP renewal whilst in said Country , if needed .

If you are going to run out of cash and stay indefinably , then that will happen anyway, whether you have a valid PP or not .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, sanemax said:

But you can get a PP renewal whilst in said Country , if needed .

If you are going to run out of cash and stay indefinably , then that will happen anyway, whether you have a valid PP or not .

Totally agree. But governments can only restrict what people do by such statutes as the '6 month validity' rule for passports. Ultimately they cannot legislate for personal poor judgement, financial, physical and mental issues or otherwise losing the plot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.






×
×
  • Create New...