Multilingual handbooks distributed to help Thai medics assist foreign accident victims

webfact

Multilingual handbooks distributed to help medics assist foreign accident victims
By The Nation

45cab30af4f6e5308fc1b7a79d73ec1d.jpeg

BANGKOK: -- The National Institute for Emergency Medicine (NIEMS) has produced a handbook detailing patient symptoms in English, Chinese, Japanese, Burmese and Malay to smooth communications and patient referrals from accident scenes to hospitals.

The handbook was distributed along with language experts’ guidelines at a workshop on communication at the scene of accidents and emergencies held on Sunday as part of the 11th National Conference of Emergency Medicine at IMPACT Muangthong Thani. 

NIEMS secretary-general Dr Atchariya Pangma said Thailand’s status as a popular tourist destination and a member of the Asean Economic Community (AEC) had led to a large number of foreigners visiting or working in the country and it was important to be able to communicate in emergency situations.

One speaker, Dr Waris Kupkanchanakul from Krabi Hospital, said Krabi often had issues with language barriers especially with Chinese tourists who often could not communicate in English.

The handbook would be useful for paramedics arriving at the scene to get essential information about a victim’s condition to provide information to hospitals.

The languages were decided upon after a NIEMS’s survey of the top five languages used by foreign visitors, he said. The handbook would hopefully enable medics to communicate with victims faster and more accurately, Waris said. 

In the past, medics used Google Translate to help in communicating with patients but the service sometimes yielded inaccurate translations, Waris added.

The NIEMS will distribute copies of the handbook to medic teams in key tourist areas as well as at hotels. In the future, the NIEMS will produce more handbooks in other languages such as Russian, Lao and Cambodian, Waris said.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30315871

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-05-22

Sounds like a good idea.

But 3 months ago, when I fell and broke my left arm here in Bangkok, the nurses and the doctors at the hospital I went to showed a relatively good command of basic English.

That includes the ambulance crew that took me to the hospital.

I understand that this may not be true outside of Bangkok, however.

4 hours ago, IMA_FARANG said:

Where I live, countryside, better to speak Thai, don't expect nurses and doctor speak English

this book is a good idea, English is not much spoken outside farangplaces 

... and the front cover carries yet another abuse of the Protected Enblem if the International Committee of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies... when will The Thai Red Cross ever get off its butt and attempt to fulfill its most basic duty???

4 hours ago, IMA_FARANG said:

Sounds like a good idea.

But 3 months ago, when I fell and broke my left arm here in Bangkok, the nurses and the doctors at the hospital I went to showed a relatively good command of basic English.

That includes the ambulance crew that took me to the hospital.

most nurses speak some English, during my 7 months in hospital i never had a problem being understood by the nurses.

All doctors in Thailand have to be able to speak English, it is part of their training to learn English.

Before other members have a go at me for that, i was told this by a very experienced surgeon in Khonkaen hospital.

I spoke to him about junior doctors not conversing with me, and he said it was shyness on their part, not speaking English, you cannot get a job as a doctor here if you cannot speak English.

6 hours ago, Luckysilk said:

I thought there'd be more but it looks like this is it :(

IMG_5848.PNG

To be honest this probably just about covers the basic information needs for EM purpose.