British degree BUT American Passport

Hi,

My friend made an appointment to go to the British embassy to get her British degree certified. She isn't a British national (no British passport) so they wouldn't help her.

I suggested that she could go to the US embassy (she has an American passport) to get an affidavit to say she has a genuine degree certificate (even if it is British).

The problem is that Chaengwattana have just told her that they will require a stamp from the UK embassy (for her British degree).

Does anyone have any experience of this?

Thanks in advance.

I don't have any experience with the British embassy or getting degrees certified, but in the US, getting a US-issued document certified for use in a foreign country is done by the Department of State's Authentication office, not any of the embassies. While I don't have any personal experience, It seems that it's similar for the UK—I think this is what your friend needs: https://www.gov.uk/get-document-legalised

16 minutes ago, QuantumMech said:

I don't have any experience with the British embassy or getting degrees certified, but in the US, getting a US-issued document certified for use in a foreign country is done by the Department of State's Authentication office, not any of the embassies. While I don't have any personal experience, It seems that it's similar for the UK—I think this is what your friend needs: https://www.gov.uk/get-document-legalised

The US embassy will allow a citizen to do a self certification of the document by doing a affidavit it is true and correct. Immigration and other government agencies will accept them after they have been translated and the translation has been certified by the MFA.

23 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The US embassy will allow a citizen to do a self certification of the document by doing a affidavit it is true and correct. Immigration and other government agencies will accept them after they have been translated and the translation has been certified by the MFA.

The US embassy does have a disclaimer though that it "may or may not satisfy the Thai requirement for U.S. Embassy ‘certification.’" But in OP's friend's case, they've been told that they need something from the UK, in which case it does sound like it needs to be done by the Legalisation Office in the UK.

On 5/22/2017 at 1:37 PM, informationhunter said:

The problem is that Chaengwattana have just told her that they will require a stamp from the UK embassy (for her British degree).

I think they stated what they always say for the certification. The UK embassy will not do the certification for UK citizens it has to be done in the UK.

They could try using the affidavit at the US embassy I mentioned earlier. They might accept it.

Edit: What are they trying to do a immigration? 

I suspect they are trying to apply for a non immigrant visa. For a extension of stay application they don't normally require a degree to be submitted.

It that is the case it would be best for them to go to a nearby embassy or consulate to get a non-b visa.

27 minutes ago, IMA_FARANG said:

If you have a degree from a British university can you get copies of the degree from them?

sure seems that should suffice; showing them the item rather than a letter by someone that the thais could never verify