taking pick up to lao first time

ba ba

my pick up is in my missis name (is paid for) and her and i are going to savannakhet end of next week.

can anyone tell me what has to be done when i get to the bridge to take it across , i have been over before but by bus

ie. paper work needed and insurance, opening time for cars

kind regards

ba ba

1 hour ago, thaipod said:

Just make sure she drives it across the border

She doesnt need to you can drive it will pm you with details. But if you havent got it yet you need a car passport from your DTO. Easy to get take blue car book with you and the mrs took us half an hour.

Thats exactly what i was going to send followed it to the letter first time no hassle takes a little longer first time as you need to get car passport activated. Ladies at first counter you go to will point you in the right direction. Just have everything detailed in the guide. No hassle if car is in wifes name mine is and i drive. Just remember on the way back out of laos to stop at 2nd hut after you get your 90 day stamp and get the car passport stamped back into thailand. There a bit laxed and you could easily just drive through but then have problems later. It is easy.

1  get the cars passport book ( in Phuket they are 50 baht and take 1-3 days)  Make sure u take ur cars blue book with you on the trip
2, at border make sure the cars passport is stamped out and u get the temp export doc (will need show cars Blue book and  ur wife's id)

3. drive across, get cars passport stamped into Laos, usually ur car /truck will get 15 days which can be extended in Laos.

4, buy insurance ( can get for 15 days)

drive on

5. coming back make sure the cars passport stamped out of Laos and into Thailand

• 2 weeks later...

hi mrjohn that report by manfredtillmann was pretty well down to the t;, i went a day early just in case it took a bit under two hours,

only thing was the mole in the first office i had copied the pages of the pick up blue book down the a4 paper like every were else in the world but for thailand she wanted it across ,then my gf had filled in her arrival depart card in thai no she wanted it in english, then the pick ups passbook had to go to the other side of the cheakpoint to get a barcode put in it, now the passbook can be used for three years ,50 bt to go over the bridge,

lao insurance office is near where you park, i went over to the visa window they handed me the two forms i handed him the two i had with me all ready filled in, passbook and 30 us dollars i am (aus) when they gave me my passbook back he had even stamped me into lao, i drove and went to every office that the old girl had to go to..

Coming back i bought another bloke and his thai gf, stamped us all out of the first window done costom, 60bt to cross the bridge,

thai side first hut for passbooks then hut 6 for car passport you have to go to that hut

When we got the new passbook in our land tax office it cost 255 bt we are getting new number plates with thailand writen in english not your provenance

10 hours ago, ba ba said:

hi mrjohn that report by manfredtillmann was pretty well down to the t;, i went a day early just in case it took a bit under two hours,

only thing was the mole in the first office i had copied the pages of the pick up blue book down the a4 paper like every were else in the world but for thailand she wanted it across ,then my gf had filled in her arrival depart card in thai no she wanted it in english, then the pick ups passbook had to go to the other side of the cheakpoint to get a barcode put in it, now the passbook can be used for three years ,50 bt to go over the bridge,

lao insurance office is near where you park, i went over to the visa window they handed me the two forms i handed him the two i had with me all ready filled in, passbook and 30 us dollars i am (aus) when they gave me my passbook back he had even stamped me into lao, i drove and went to every office that the old girl had to go to..

Coming back i bought another bloke and his thai gf, stamped us all out of the first window done costom, 60bt to cross the bridge,

thai side first hut for passbooks then hut 6 for car passport you have to go to that hut

When we got the new passbook in our land tax office it cost 255 bt we are getting new number plates with thailand writen in english not your provenance

Just a quick caveat to this the car passport is valid for a year it can be extended yearly at LTO when you pay the tax and compulsory insurance. They just put another years stamp in it i belive the book has only got room for two extensions.therefore giving you 3 years. Yes judt checked book room for 3 stamps. Validity  runs out when tax on car runs out yearly. So can do it all in one hit.

1 hour ago, jeab1980 said:

Well ive been over to laos many times in pick up I juSt Throw a made up plate on A4 into windscreen 

Sorry miss information the english plate is required for maymar not going into laos.

13 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Just a quick caveat to this the car passport is valid for a year it can be extended yearly at LTO when you pay the tax and compulsory insurance. They just put another years stamp in it i belive the book has only got room for two extensions.therefore giving you 3 years. Yes judt checked book room for 3 stamps. Validity  runs out when tax on car runs out yearly. So can do it all in one hit.

you might be right all i heard was 3 years

4 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Sorry miss information the english plate is required for maymar not going into laos.

well all i know we are getting a new set of plates with in the next 90 days and can go any where on them have to wait till they arrive and see what they have to say

10 hours ago, howard ashoul said:

You have to translate your licence plate to english in a transporation office, where is car registered.

Everything else can be done at the border (as long, as the owner of car is crossing too).

as far as i know we are getting new plates with in the next 90 days i think you all know what it is like dealing with thai'ssss

Thai number plates are acceptable in laos no idea why you say your getting new number plates unless you ordered them for a trip to another country other than laos. All that is reauired to laos is a Thai sticker on back of vehicle.

12 hours ago, jeab1980 said:

Thai number plates are acceptable in laos no idea why you say your getting new number plates unless you ordered them for a trip to another country other than laos. All that is reauired to laos is a Thai sticker on back of vehicle.

No, they are not?

They have to be translate to english. Although Thai and Laos are very similar languages, so similar, that Thai will understand to a Laos person. But they have different characters in a alphabeth. So you can't enter without this "bridge" - thai licence plate - english licence plate - laos licence plate.

5 hours ago, howard ashoul said:

No, they are not?

They have to be translate to english. Although Thai and Laos are very similar languages, so similar, that Thai will understand to a Laos person. But they have different characters in a alphabeth. So you can't enter without this "bridge" - thai licence plate - english licence plate - laos licence plate.

Sorry but you can and i have several times