Bank Loan Application- Pattaya

My Thai wife of 7-years and I when to three Pattaya banks today to request a bank loan to purchase a townhouse. My wife is also a USA citizen, as am I and she speaks fluent English, as well as Thai.

Pissed me off as none of the banks officers spoke English and spoke to my wife who isn't the family financier. For the first bank I continually asked interpretation questions and the last two I just sat there.

What a joke!

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

47 minutes ago, beachproperty said:

The joke is .....that you should even be a part of it. You may be paying for it but it is your wife who is getting the loan to purchase property that ONLY Thai's can buy.

Yes have got to agree there as the bank is only concerned about the wifes ability to pay as you being a foreigner will not be recognized even if you are employed here trying to buy a house on individual land as a family unit as foreigners can't own land

You are now living in Thailand where the Thai language is the primary and official language.  If you spoke Thai you wouldn't need your wife to act as interpreter for the family primary financier.   

• 2 weeks later...
I would have loved to overhear the conversation between the Bankers and the wife:
Banker to wife: "Why you marry Falang, that can not pay cash for it?" 555
Cheers.

Summary: Received word from the bank yesterday (about 2-weeks after the application) that we are approved for the requested bank loan.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app