Three SETVs from Vientiane. Should I go to Savannakhet for #4

I've done three back to back SETVs from Vientiane followed by a visa exempt entry that expires soon.  I realize that I'm reaching the limit for Vientiane, so I've been contemplating using Savannakhet.  I have heard Savannakhet requires proof of funds and an onward ticket which wouldn't be a problem.

I actually only need a month in Thailand this time as I plan to travel to my home country to visit friends and family, but I already have six recent visa exemptions, so I figured I should probably get a visa.

Any thoughts on the best option?  SETV in Vientiane or Savannakhet? Try for another visa exemption?

You will probably get the "this person travels to Thailand frequently on TR Visas" warning-stamp if you go back to Vientiane.  It's not a problem if you plan to get a new passport before applying for another TR visa to Thailand. 

Savanahket should issue you one if you don't have a warning-stamp yet, and if you meet all of that consulate's requirements - proof of where you will stay, proof of flight out, and proof of 20K Baht+ in the bank (bank-statement or bank-book).  They want all of that, unlike Vientiane.

If you don't have 2 land-border Visa Exempts this calendar-year, you could probably get one without a problem at most entry-points - especially those into Laos - but be sure to have 10K Baht in cash or travelers-checks, just in case they ask to see it.  The Ban Laem or Ban Packard crossings to/from Cambodia would also be good choices for that.

Edited by JackThompson

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

Thanks for the detailed reply.  What is the required documentation for proof of address in Thailand? I've always only used a street address in Vientiane.  Will I need a lease statement or something else from my landlord?  In regards to the bank statement, I don't have anything official from my US bank account.  Would a print out from online banking be sufficient?

I don't think I have any visa exempt land entries in the last calendar year (only one visa exempt entry at DMK).  Maybe a visa exempt entry is my best bet in this case.

1 hour ago, CaptainKiiNiaw said:

Thanks for the detailed reply.  What is the required documentation for proof of address in Thailand? I've always only used a street address in Vientiane.  Will I need a lease statement or something else from my landlord?  In regards to the bank statement, I don't have anything official from my US bank account.  Would a print out from online banking be sufficient?

I don't think I have any visa exempt land entries in the last calendar year (only one visa exempt entry at DMK).  Maybe a visa exempt entry is my best bet in this case.

I use my rental contract and a letter from my condo's juristic person for address.  I use a Thai bank-book for financials, though I have heard a bank-statement printout is accepted. 

But, if you have 10K Baht + proof of your flight out in a month, I would be surprised if you had trouble with your first Visa-Exempt at a land-border this year at a Laos crossing.  If you did, you could always go back to Laos, cancel your exit-stamp, and get a TR Visa at the Thai Consulate.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, CaptainKiiNiaw said:

I've done three back to back SETVs from Vientiane followed by a visa exempt entry that expires soon.

Have you gotten a 30 day extension of your visa exempt entry at immigration.

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Have you gotten a 30 day extension of your visa exempt entry at immigration.

Yep,  forgot to mention that

10 hours ago, JackThompson said:

But, if you have 10K Baht + proof of your flight out in a month, I would be surprised if you had trouble with your first Visa-Exempt at a land-border this year at a Laos crossing.  If you did, you could always go back to Laos, cancel your exit-stamp, and get a TR Visa at the Thai Consulate.

I didn't know you could cancel an exit stamp.  Do you just get on the 15 baht bus back to Laos and ask Laos immigration to cancel the exit? 

I imagine I should stay in Laos for a least one night, right?

3 hours ago, CaptainKiiNiaw said:

I didn't know you could cancel an exit stamp.  Do you just get on the 15 baht bus back to Laos and ask Laos immigration to cancel the exit? 

Yes.  I would explain you need to go to the Thai Consulate for a visa before returning to Thailand. You can bet they have heard it before, and have a process.

I imagine I should stay in Laos for a least one night, right?

That might improve your odds of not having an issue coming back in.   I had no problems getting an exempt with 2 nights in Laos, my prev-entry being a TR Visa.

Maybe someone has 1st hand experience with doing a "same-day-return" for a visa-exempt at the Friendship Bridge crossings recently and can provide insight on that?

Edited by JackThompson

6 minutes ago, Essecola said:

Surprising that Vientiane consulate didn't put the warning stamp after the third SETV. Getting tourist visas is getting hectic now.

Yep, I got already one on my second SETV last year.