Machine translation

tgeezer

I think that I have found an interesting game to play with Thai.

A facebook report of a girl who cut off a man's penis because he had been having his way with her.

ไม่เพียงจะตกเป็นเหย่ออารมณ์ของน้กบวชนานนับปี่ แต่หญิงสาวยังบอกด้วยว่า แม่ของเธอคือ คนที่อยู่อเบื้องหลังและไม่คิดช่วยเลย

Choosing the 'translation option' we get:

Will not only be victim of emotional years priest but the girl also said that her mother is behind and I wouldn't help you.

Assumng that there will be words which we don't know the translation saves us the trouble of looking them up with the added advantage of knowing the context, so the game is to translate the report into sensible English.

eg. นักบวช is not a monk so you may want to think up something else, 'Hindu holy man' for instance.

Grammatically you may need to ignore จะ , but maybe not.

Anyone up for it?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

If that one was too difficult here is an easier one.
Context: Advertisement for a resort.
เขาใหญ่สไตล์บ้านนออกอังกฤษ
He big British hillbilly style.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

Is this 'ญ่สไตล์' hillbilly?

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

I don't think so. I think that Hillbilly is how the programme has translated บ้านนอก. What does ญสไตล์ mean?

Edit: oh, I see. เขาใหญ่ is a place in Thailand, the programme has translated เขา as him but should have seen the name Mountain big. However it managed to reverse the order style-provincial-English.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

carlyai Thank you for taking an interest. I tried this topic first on Thai-language.com, but no takers there. I remember how difficult it was to get anyone to discuss how Thai works when I started learning. I know more now and hope that I can help someone and be helped by others. I started this topic to show how simple things are when the context is known.

The first thing to do when one finds something which doesn't make sense is to Google the expressions. If you do that with เขาใหญ่ไสตล์บ้านนอกอังกฤษ you get a picture of a wall adjacent to an entrance with this legend on it and surmise that this in no more than a name of a place in เขาใหญ่. now the trick is to make it into a sensible English name for a resort. He big British hillbilly style, doesn't do it for me!

I have been to Kowyai National Park (อุทยานแห่ชาติเขาใหญ่= park of country mountain big) but don't know if เขาใหญ่ is a ตำบล or a จังหวัต or something else, still don't! but that is a contribution others could make if they cared enough.
I am not a 'sad case' I have a garden, play golf, go for bike rides have friends and a social life but I am also interested in Thai as a means to ward off senility, I am here to learn Thai but it is useless doing it alone, so thanks once again.

carlyai Thank you for taking an interest. I tried this topic first on Thai-language.com, but no takers there. I remember how difficult it was to get anyone to discuss how Thai works when I started learning. I know more now and hope that I can help someone and be helped by others. I started this topic to show how simple things are when the context is known.

The first thing to do when one finds something which doesn't make sense is to Google the expressions. If you do that with เขาใหญ่ไสตล์บ้านนอกอังกฤษ you get a picture of a wall adjacent to an entrance with this legend on it and surmise that this in no more than a name of a place in เขาใหญ่. now the trick is to make it into a sensible English name for a resort. He big British hillbilly style, doesn't do it for me!

I have been to Kowyai National Park (อุทยานแห่ชาติเขาใหญ่= park of country mountain big) but don't know if เขาใหญ่ is a ตำบล or a จังหวัต or something else, still don't! but that is a contribution others could make if they cared enough.
I am not a 'sad case' I have a garden, play golf, go for bike rides have friends and a social life but I am also interested in Thai as a means to ward off senility, I am here to learn Thai but it is useless doing it alone, so thanks once again.

Actually I took my advice and Googled, the name of the place is "Thames Valley KhaoYai " .
What I posted was what the poster said about it.
"อ้อมกอดขุมเขา สไตล์อังกฤษวิถีชนบทที่ Thames Valley KhaoYai " is what the resort says. Same meaning differently put.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Archived